Mark IIC+ - Guide for Dummies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone needs to clean up the tone and the style of that wiki page, I'd do it but got some other priorities (fixing amps) atm.

Saw your website Ed, it's lookin good :) The JVK amps website will be online this week hopefully...

I guess suggesting this get stickey'ed is like :
deadhorse.gif

dodger916 said:
FWIW, I was able to copy and paste it into a word document.

Hey !!!

No reproduction or re-transmission without the expressed written consent of the National Football League !!!

I could have sent you and original word doc, or Johnny/JVK cleaned the one published on Wikipedia.

I hope you land that C+ in your future. :D

Boogiebabies said:
dodger916 said:
FWIW, I was able to copy and paste it into a word document.

Hey !!!

No reproduction or re-transmission without the expressed written consent of the National Football League !!!. I could have sent you and original word doc, or Johnny/JVK cleaned the one published on Wikipedia.

Of course not, Ed. It's for reference purposes only :)

Boogiebabies said:
I hope you land that C+ in your future. :D

Just did! Paid $1,550 for a loaded IIA upgraded head with an X100 export trans. Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm not interested in the collector aspect...more concerned with the sound. Mike B assured me it's a C+ in every way...good enough for me.

I played my C+ last night and it was the most amazing guitar rig i have even heard/played thought.. Amazing.. there are only a few guy's on this board who know what i'm talking about..

just thought i would let everyone know..haha

Shep said:
I played my C+ last night and it was the most amazing guitar rig i have even heard/played thought.. Amazing.. there are only a few guy's on this board who know what i'm talking about..

Oh I know exactly what you're talking about! I could make millions if I could find a way to bottle up all the cream inside this amp and sell it in stores.

i put a up to 30 db clean boost that i made in the fx loop which gave me 4 channels,, clean, loud clean , chunky heavy rhy and lead.. i also used a ts-9 to make things a little more dirty on the clean..

The amp is awesome....

but i suggest trying alittle bit of clean boost in the Fx loop for that lead boost.. works really well.

My IIC+ is in with Mike B now. It's a fully loaded simul export. Someone had done a few tiny mods, and I'm having it taken back to stock. I was told to make it really stock, it will be a brighter amp since mine is an early 85. But lots of guys apparently like this with a bright mod to reduce that. I said I'm mainly going to use it for high gain/distortion a la Metallica, and he said then I'd want it bright, without the bright mod. Sound familiar to anyone?

LockStock said:
My IIC+ is in with Mike B now. It's a fully loaded simul export. Someone had done a few tiny mods, and I'm having it taken back to stock. I was told to make it really stock, it will be a brighter amp since mine is an early 85. But lots of guys apparently like this with a bright mod to reduce that. I said I'm mainly going to use it for high gain/distortion a la Metallica, and he said then I'd want it bright, without the bright mod. Sound familiar to anyone?

It most likely has a 10pf cap on the 3.3M channel bridge circuit and a .001/1000pf cap across the 270K V4A plate load resistor. Using the Simul-Class Spec 20pf cap and having no .001 across the 270K will make the amp brighter. It's a Mike B. mod based on the 60/100 preamp specs.
The mod has been done to a bunch of C+'s.

Thanks. Mike B said that a stock IIC+ is actually brighter - and that the mod brings the brightness down. I was under the impression after talking with him that overall he recommened the mod. But the guys in Metallica didn't do the mod, and they left their amps bright because of the heavy distortion they played with. Make sense?

LockStock said:
Thanks. Mike B said that a stock IIC+ is actually brighter - and that the mod brings the brightness down. I was under the impression after talking with him that overall he recommened the mod. But the guys in Metallica didn't do the mod, and they left their amps bright because of the heavy distortion they played with. Make sense?

Absolutely.

Thank you.

I also should chime in that I can confirm that my early 85 IIC+ absolutely has good tone at low volumes, and the volume/drive dials are not terribly sensitive. After hearing about how loud these are, I was surprised mine was not like that. So I would call mine loud, but not a tear-your-head-off amp.

O.K. , so we have confirmed it's an early 85. That's good.

It will behave differently with normal master volume and higher lead master settings. This way will be a bit brighter. With higher master volume and low, I mean 1.5 or so, it will be rounder and smoother as it gets a bit of the power amp involved. With the master at 4-5 and the lead master at 1.5 it will sustain into pleasant feedback for those times when you need to hold a note for an hour or two. the real kick in the balls is slaving one out to a 2:95 or 3:95 and three cabinets. It's skull crushing.

Shep said:

Dude it's the smoothest lead tone an amp geek can find. My goodness, it's just totally the opposite of the Rectos or anything else hi-gain out there - I just can't get the IIC+ to sound buzzy unless when the tubes are dying, and believe me I've tried! When cranked past 4/5 on the lead with gain 8.5, ld master 7, treble 6, bass 2, mid 7, vol1 8... powerful, punchy, creaaam on 8)

Mike B. invented the C+, he modded R. Smith's IIC ciruit, right? I'd definitely buy him a few beers if we ever meet :) The man is a genius

mid 7. wow, that's unconventional for sure. I gotta try that. Do you pull anything or have the eq set up a certain way?

Back