Mark IIb head shell build

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloanthebone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got my head shell completed for my Mark IIb. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Some little mistakes here and there but I am happy. Was a fun experience.

Wood: Oak
Stain: Black cherry

IMG_9751.jpeg

IMG_9750.jpeg

IMG_9814.jpeg

IMG_9818.jpeg

IMG_9823.jpeg

IMG_9830.jpeg

IMG_9829.jpeg
IMG_9831.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpeg
    IMG_9815.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
Looking good. Haven't seen oak used for a Mesa headshell before.

I'm about to build a Mark V: 90 headshell. I bought enough REALLY nice flamed maple for the project, and a new dovetail fixture, but while it's Chinese, it's well made except for one part, that being the template. Which is crap. I've got a local machine shop making a new template for it that'll be first rate. (May even have them make a run of them that I can sell as upgrades.) Once I've got that in hand, I can start the build.

I've build headshells, combo shells, and various cabinets before. So it's nothing out of my range.

Color scheme: Almost certainly I'm going to do it in a royal blue trans finish, but non-fading. And I'm going to do a matching flamed maple faceplate, BUT I may go for a contrasting color. I have the option of doing both sides of the face in different stains. I may do black on one side, blue on the other, and pick one.

Looking good. Haven't seen oak used for a Mesa headshell before.

I'm about to build a Mark V: 90 headshell. I bought enough REALLY nice flamed maple for the project, and a new dovetail fixture, but while it's Chinese, it's well made except for one part, that being the template. Which is crap. I've got a local machine shop making a new template for it that'll be first rate. (May even have them make a run of them that I can sell as upgrades.) Once I've got that in hand, I can start the build.

I've build headshells, combo shells, and various cabinets before. So it's nothing out of my range.

Color scheme: Almost certainly I'm going to do it in a royal blue trans finish, but non-fading. And I'm going to do a matching flamed maple faceplate, BUT I may go for a contrasting color. I have the option of doing both sides of the face in different stains. I may do black on one side, blue on the other, and pick one.
Is this the “blue trans finish” this color? Because this color is hot!

IMG_0222.jpeg

I'll be doing my own version blue. If I do blue. I'm inclined to, but not absolutely dead set on it yet. It'll be vivid and rich.

Back