MARK IIB 60 Watt

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrapinger

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I've had a Mark IIB 60 1x12 Combo since the late '80's. I have not seen another like this. Got it from a store in Schnectady NY for $500. It's just a 60watt, no reverb, black vinyl, graphic EQ and a bullet proof EV speaker. Most all the Mark IIB's I've seen online are the 100watt/60watt versions.

Anyone out there have the"fleet model" I've got?

My EQ tends to add hum to the sound. Have had techs look at it, but none have eliminated that. Anyone else have that issue and/or can offer solutions?

This amp has been just a workhorse. It's tumbled around the back of many a vehicle without issue. It's also produced more than it's share of penis envy when I jam with new folks whose amps can't keep up or cut through like my trusty Mark IIB.

Regards

My first Boogie was a "fleet model" 60w Mark IIB head with no options. I paid $500 for it used in the summer of 1989. Traded it for a 70's Les Paul Deluxe after I bought a Mark IV. I sure wish I kept both!

here's mine!

tonemachine.jpg

bought it in 1981.
60w, no reverb, GEQ, still my main tone machine.

i've never had ANY noise come from mine, except for the highest gain hiss at volume.

no noise from the GEQ, dead quiet on the clean channel even with the VOL1 set at 8.

I,ve got a sixty watt with reverb and graphic eq but i disconected the reverb because i have it in a short head shell just now......great amp sold it twice but bought it back because it,s such a cool work horse.... mine is one in the last 500 before mesa switched production to the 2c so it,s got the cool all black top hat style knobs the 2c/2c+ and mark 3,s had.

I've got one...has reverb but no eq. Mesa black shadow12 speaker. I think mine is a '83 . In its day it was one sweet sounding rig... it now needs some TLC which I hope to give it soon. It was such a warm, funky sound & I miss it :cry:

Probab a dumb qestion here. I need to post some photos of my rig. I've tried to paste photos on the post, but it won't let me. How does one get a photo on here?

Amen on the AS-50 brother!! I bought that in 1985 when I was a senior in High School and it's going to the grave with me. I've got an issue with the finish being cracked at the iput jack, but I am afraid to take it to anybody around here.

don't see kahlers on pauls very often.....

which guitar is your favorite?

Yah that Kahler was on there when I bought it back in 1987. Got from some weird guy who bought it, had no idea how to play and decided he needed a kahler. Go figure, but I picked it up for $500. I never use the trem.

You know I don't really have a favorite per say, but I just got the Explorer back in May and am really impressed by it. The LP and the AS-50 have great tone, but can't handle the gain..they get a lot of microphonics (has the patent applied for pickups). Can't palm mute that LP with any kind of stage volume, but it sounds sweet. The AS-50 has a sweet blues "brown sound" but also loses it with gain. The Explorer can do just about anything, but doesn't quite have the tone of the other two.

So forgive my ignorance, but what are those two devices ontop of you IIB head?

scrap-

there are actually THREE devices...

the one on the left, is a Yamaha DG stomp multi effects pedal, routed with very short cords thru the FX loop, and i use it for reverb and delay only.

the WEBER MASS LITE is my attenuator, for low volume attenuation. i typically run the Master 1 at around 5, and the Lead Master at around 6, and then attenuate.

the small box on top of the WEBER unit, is my Palmer PDI-09, which i use to capture the full output sound of the boogie head BEFORE it hits the attenuator.
it's for direct recording.

http://www.palmergear.com/pdi09.shtml

Thanks for the explanation. You've got nice gear. I have though about an atenuator for a while. I first heard about them after I saw Sonny Landreth and wondered how he got such a remarkable tone.

So are you running a bass through the IIB?

actually, until just lately, i almost never ran bass through it (the bass, a carvin LB70, just happens to be in the shot during a recording session)

i have a Sansamp Bass DI that i use, split the signal thru a A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, and blend it with the sansamp.

but, on my most recent tune (posted in the rigs and tones forum) i actually tried running my new 3/4 scale ibanez bass thru the boogie directly, and honestly, it's a fatter sound than the sansamp.
i get the signal straight from the Palmer, and it sounded great to my ears.

here's the tune:
http://www.ourstage.com/tracks/SMXAFSOMMTSL?autoplay=true

Latest posts

Back