Mark 5 no sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Roll

Reaction score
hey guys, just came back from a gig we played last night.

Once I wired up my mark 5, all of a sudden there is no sound coming out of the amp. I checked the power tubes all seemed to be lighting up, I checked the fuse which in that dark room seemed to be ok.
All lights come up, channel switching is working, once I go from stand by mode to active, no sound is coming out.
I did not experience any drops in volume recently, nor did I experience any sound related problems, it's just that all lights are up, but noone's home :)

Always check the obvious stuff first. Is the speaker plugged into the correct jack, and both terminal connections on the speaker itself solid (assuming this is a combo). Is the mute switch engaged? Did the loop send get turned down (try hard bypassing the loop, this will take the master volume, loop, and solo out of the chain).

thanks steveo,

I checked all the following:

-speaker cable, guitar cable, wireless line 6 g50
-going straight with just the guitar cable in
-i do not use fx loop, therefore i'm always on hard bypass mode
- mute button was disengaged, therefore all should work

at the end i quickly borrowed a 6505+ and all was working just the way i wired it..

Next step would be to make sure all the tubes are securely seated and lighting up.

just had a chance to take a look at the amp.. it's really weird because I got it wired in the rehearsal room yesterday, no sound..

then I set the loop to active, still nothing, then I switch back to hard bypass which I always use and BAM here's the sound..

can't imagine what could have possibly gone wrong but it's working again heh.. thanks for all the advice, at least i don't have to pay anything to get it fixed at least for the moment being.. hopefully it won't cut out in the middle of a song once I play it again onstage..

what sorcery is this?!

I use one of these, and at my last gig I thought there was something wrong with my amp. I was bypassed my m13 and still no sound. I had hooked the right angle plug up backwards :oops: This has happened a few times.

576_550703.jpg

primeholy said:
I use one of these, and at my last gig I thought there was something wrong with my amp. I was bypassed my m13 and still no sound. I had hooked the right angle plug up backwards :oops: This has happened a few times.

576_550703.jpg
What kind of cable is that? Does it come apart like that or something and why?

Markedman said:
primeholy said:

576_550703.jpg
+1
The only advantage I can think of is if there is a bag of assorted connectors (RCA, Banana, 1/8" phono, etc) to go with it.

Still, for a guitar cable, that thing wouldn't last 5 min with me LOL. There is a good reason I use a wireless.

Dom

Markedman said:

It's called a Snap Jack... the ends of the cable click onto the connectors magnetically. Purchased with extra plug connectors, the cable makes it easy and less-noisy to move your cable from one guitar or amp to another.

They're available with straight or right-angle plugs. If you magnetically attach to the wrong side of the right-angle plug (easy to do!) then you get no sound.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/snap-jack-instrument-cable

following the latest problems during a gig -

So apparently the amp worked for like 2 practices, but then it just stopped producing sound.
I opened up the amp to take a look inside and the V1 was completely burnt out, I mean totally white and even the glass was broken so I puled it out in two pieces..

Put in a new mesa 12AX7, all worked.. for about one practice session, then again, no sound.. again V1, totally smashed as if it tear apart

Put in another mesa 12Ax7... sounding great... yet again for one practice session and the **** **** it today again the V1 is blown..

If anyone has any idea- what may cause the amp to constantly blow the V1 preamp tube? I mean this is ridiculous I've changed 3 V1 tubes over the past 2 weeks. The weird thing is that it always performs great until the next session when I fire the amp up.

the worst thing is it's no longer covered by warranty so, I'd maybe have to find someone who would take a look at it.

They have a five year warranty, and were introduced in early 2009. Even if you have the first one sold, it should still be covered for a few more months. I'd call Mesa directly and let them know what's going on.

Well, I'm from central Europe. The thing is, we only have a two year warranty period. Mine is 2,5 years old huh..

I might be able to answer your V1 issue. I found you need to be careful when replacing the V1 tube. When you put the metal cover on it without removing the chassis you can't really get at V1 well as it resides behind the transformer. While twisting the cover to seat if the spring is twisting the tip of the tube. The tip of the tube is where the glass is pinched off when produced and it can weaken or break as it is a fragile part of the tube. If you look from tube to tube some have more excess glass on the tip then others that the spring can grab.

I went through the same scenario before I learned to pull the chassis out of the head to replace it. I do think that is a minor design flaw of the head. My MKV combo is easier to replace but I'm sure the same thing can happen. The tubes get white inside when cracked or broken.

I hope it's as easy as that for your problem

Latest posts

Back