Mark 3 footswitch.. Custom

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trey85stang

Reaction score
Im planning on doing the r2 mod hopefully this weekend or next... and I want to hopefully make a single footswitch to switch between the 3 channels. Basically i want three switches to pick clean/crunch/lead. vs.. having two different footswitchs and juggling between the two of them.

So... before I go trying to figure out how to do this.. has this already been done and if so is there a schematic? If not... is any interested in this? If so Ill post up a diagram if I can get it working.

with just basic electrical wiring, I don't know (or think) there's a way. I know how to using a couple of chips and 3 relays tho...

If I'm reading you correctly, you want one switch to toggle between Lead and Clean channels, and another switch to toggle between R1 and R2. All housed in one physical switch, is that right?

If so, the easiest thing to do (what I did) was get a Mesa 2-button switch and run two guitar cables into it: two "separate" (electrically) switches and wiring simply housed in one unit. Now the more aesthetic approach would be to get 4-conductor cable and do the same as above. Thus, the wiring still is "separate" to the two switches (do not have them share grounds) as if they were two discrete stompboxes, but you have a far less clunky/cumbersome solution of one cable coming out of the box (whereas I have two guitar cables cable-tied together their entire length ...clunky and a pain to wrap, not to mention doesn't look good). Hope that addresses your question. :)

Edward

I think he means, he wants a box with THREE switches. One for CLEAN, R2, and LEAD. If this is true, i'd like it too. I vaguely remember reading here about an ebay seller that made these custom footswithes.

This isn't possible using regular footswitches. What you'd need is something that has some small amount of processing ability built-in, like the Marshall TSL footswitch.

The problem is that Mesa uses simple short-to-ground switching with latching switches. To have a FS go from, say, clean to L1 and then to R2 with two steps (which would normally take 3), you'll have to automate one step - normally, you'd have to hit the Lead button to switch into Lead mode, then hit R1/R2 and Lead to get to R2. That's the tricky part - getting R2 switched automatically.

To do this, you'll need a switch with built-in logic, which will be tricky to implement and may cause switching delays.

Personally, I'd look into a MIDI-controlled switching system, like an Axcess CFX-4 or the Amp Gizmo, but you'll need an external MIDI controller with either of these.

Ahhh, sorry ...I misread the op. Yup, you need a box that has "logic" to make your stomper a one-move channel switcher. The MKIIIs weren't designed to do such from the get-go.

Edward

my amp tech build that one for me and works flawlessly since then:

MarkIIIFootswitch006.jpg

MarkIIIFootswitch010.jpg

MarkIIIFootswitch001.jpg

MarkIIIFootswitch003.jpg

and yes, no more tap dance ever since :)

You forgot the "fourth" sound: Having Lead and R2 on at the same time.
Also with/without EQ.
Now you need eight foot switches. Instead of three (one for R1/Lead, one for R2, one for the GEQ.)
Not counting reverb.
Someone please explain how this is simpler.
Besides, dancing is good exercise!

actually it's programmed to do that "fourth" sound, i can program it so the rhy2 is on or off when the lead is engaged . but yes, it can be done that way adding another switch, he told me he already has done another foot with that option. 8)

i prefer headbanging instead of tap dancing actually :wink:

vigo, who is your tech and what did that pedal set you back? Im also guessing under that pcb board is 7 relays?

So this project cant be done with w/ 3 3pdts?

I dont care about the EQ or Reverb personally... I dont use reverb, and I only use the EQ on the lead channel.

Im going to see if I can work this out.. ill post up a diagram a little later if I can figure out how to do it with the switches.

ok, ju8st slapped the pen and paper to it, you guys are right. going to need a pic and some relays to make it work :(

Im not good enough to do that on my own, maybe if i had a pic programmer already I could..

Edit: I think I will just go with the single 2 button footswitch build. I guess I can can handle stepping on on two at once if needed :)

you don't need a pic :) you can do up to 10 presets with a decade counter ;) I was working on something similar for my mark4, using a counter, but I decided to go the pic route and add effect loops and all of that.

it would be fairly cheap to make them using a counter... I wonder if 3 buttons would work for most ppl...

I also use MIDI control over a mark III (with use of a Laney Babelswitch), but never switched the EQ/Reverb yet, guess i need a simple stereo cable for that.

I haven't tried the 'fourth' sound yet, is it useable, or just over the top with massive amounts of gain?

trey85stang said:
vigo, who is your tech and what did that pedal set you back? Im also guessing under that pcb board is 7 relays?

I dont care about the EQ or Reverb personally... I dont use reverb, and I only use the EQ on the lead channel.

Im going to see if I can work this out.. ill post up a diagram a little later if I can figure out how to do it with the switches.

hes a well renowned tech down here, he can do almost anything.

you can see his work here:

www.pedrone.com.br

yes, it can be done with 3 pdts, it can be done with how many you want actually. 8)

Vigo1999 said:
trey85stang said:

www.pedrone.com.br

yes, it can be done with 3 pdts, it can be done with how many you want actually. 8)
you wouldnt happen to know if he speaks english would you? The site is in portugese, right?

kiff said:
you don't need a pic :) you can do up to 10 presets with a decade counter ;) I was working on something similar for my mark4, using a counter, but I decided to go the pic route and add effect loops and all of that.

it would be fairly cheap to make them using a counter... I wonder if 3 buttons would work for most ppl...

hmm, im not familar with a decade counter. I will look into this. Thank you!

trey85stang said:
Vigo1999 said:
trey85stang said:

www.pedrone.com.br

you wouldnt happen to know if he speaks english would you? The site is in portugese, right?

yeah, you can pretty much send a mail in english to him. it's all good. :D

Vigo1999 said:
actually it's programmed to do that "fourth" sound, i can program it so the rhy2 is on or off when the lead is engaged . but yes, it can be done that way adding another switch, he told me he already has done another foot with that option. 8)

i prefer headbanging instead of tap dancing actually :wink:
So when you have it on your lead sound, you can click rhythm 2 for that stacked sound?

Latest posts

Back