LSS through years

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daillou

Reaction score
Hello!

I've finally (almost) decided to change my rig for a LSS. (see this post)

Another question yet : I have the opportunity to get a 2004 model. It has been played very few, never moved from the music room of the seller and is in a perfect condition. And a fair price (1350€, I live in France).
Are there any differences between these early models and the later ones? Or are they strictly the same?

Some LSS have had problems, are they all from the same period?

Do you think I should put a few more bucks and get a more recent one?

Thank you again!

As far as I know, the LSSes with serial numbers below ~4000 had "problems" with the recifier tube blowing frequently. That was fixed in the later models (serial numbers > ~4000). There is a mod to fix the recifier tube problem. I've read that the older NOS 5Y3 tubes are more stable than the newer ones. I've also read that you can use the 5V4 instead of the 5Y3 as an improvement.

Thundersteel said:
As far as I know, the LSSes with serial numbers below ~4000 had "problems" with the recifier tube blowing frequently. That was fixed in the later models (serial numbers > ~4000). There is a mod to fix the recifier tube problem. I've read that the older NOS 5Y3 tubes are more stable than the newer ones. I've also read that you can use the 5V4 instead of the 5Y3 as an improvement.

Thundersteel - I just picked up a used mint LSS, serial number 2053. Can you tell me where you've read about the issues with the rectifier? I wonder if I called Mesa if they would tell me what needs to be done to fix the potential problem. Thansk.

notyalcer said:
Thundersteel said:

Thundersteel - I just picked up a used mint LSS, serial number 2053. Can you tell me where you've read about the issues with the rectifier? I wonder if I called Mesa if they would tell me what needs to be done to fix the potential problem. Thansk.

Don't mind if I jump in. This is a well know issue and do search here you'll find lots of info. Call Mesa and they'll instruct you on the fix. If you're handy on DIY then it's a 5 minutes job, just clipping the two resistors. If for any reason you can't get the info from Mesa, having done it myself, I can give you the details.

Bought new Serial Number 2496 over four years ago and never had any problems other than band won't let me turn it up.

Leroy the Massochist said:
other than band won't let me turn it up.
That never stop me from turning it up :lol:
quite often put it on the 5W and just dime it :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back