LSS + Recto 2x12 Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enigma

Reaction score
I've been having a lot of fun dialing in my favorite tones in Ch. 1 and 2, and overall am very satistfied. However, at times I didn't really dig the 1x12 speaker - it sounded a bit too ice picky at times (pre-amp tubes?). I tried to allay the little problem by tweaking the presence control and backing off a bit on treble, but still to no avail.

Then voilla!!! I took the Orange Rectoverb 100 head off of my 2x12 cab, and put the 1x12 LSS and slaved it. Wow!!! It's another amp. The recto cab gives so much life to, and brings out all the poteniality of the LSS. 8)

I have been considering a 1*12 extension for my LSS combo.

What speakers are in your cabinet and is it closed or open back.

What did it actually do to the sound - brighter/darker, more bass thump etc.....?

Regards

LSS 1 x 12 is slaved through Recto 2x12 closed cab with Celestion V30s. Generally, the overall tone has much more depth, almost 3-D like. Plus, the obvious better base response and more shimmer in the upper ends.

I balance the slave dial (90%) with the overall output of the 1 x 12 from the LSS - it's an excellent combination.

Hey enigma....I've got first dibs on the LSS if you decide to part with it -- You know, Ice Picks can be dangerous :lol:

Haha . . . . I think the ice pickiness is coming from the preamp tubes - they'll be replaced soon.

JAZZGEAR, this one's a keeper, but I might sell as new 2007 PRS McCarty Soapbar (Amber killer 10 top flames) . . . . 8)

I'm confused as to how you're hooking this up, enigma. Do you have another power amp that you are driving the 2x12 with?

phyrexia,
LSS 1x12 >>> slave output >>> Recto 2x12. LSS is used like a head except it comes with a 1x12 speaker :D

To each his or her own, and I mean no offense. Several have posted that the LSS is too dark and muddy, especially with humbucker / neck pickups & clean sounds.

I agree that the LSS is a little on the dark side, and have been trying some different speakers in my 1x12 other than the Mesa C90.

The Mesa closed back 2x12 cabinets that I have tried all sounded really dark to me, OK for heavy distortion but murky for clean tones.

So, what guitar do you use with your LSS, and what kind of music do you gravitate towards? If your preamp tubes are the culprits, I would be interested to know which tubes you are using. Maybe I should try them!

PS: Have you tried your LSS with your Celestion Blues?

Chris

I always thought the slave output sent the equivalent of a DI signal to another amp. How could it possibly drive a speaker cabinet?

RocksOFF, I don't know but it works 8)

I use my Strats mainly for LSS; my Fender CS '60s Strat sound the best with it. I haven't tried LSS >>> Vox 2X12 Blue Alnicos - that'd be interesting.

What made youu decide to use the slave instead of a speaker out?....I also run a LSS 1X12 into a 2X12 vertical Recto cab via the SPEAKER out and it sounds fine...

I just tried it, and it worked. Plus, slave output has level contron which is useful for blending the LSS and Cab speakers just right.

I am very surprised. I don't know if that will hurt your amp.

The slave output is supposed to be straight off the speaker jack but doesn't that mean it's messing with the impedance?

Hmmm . . . I don't know if it will hurt the amp, but it sure ain't hurting the tone! :D

ylo said:
To each his or her own, and I mean no offense. Several have posted that the LSS is too dark and muddy, especially with humbucker / neck pickups & clean sounds.

I agree that the LSS is a little on the dark side, and have been trying some different speakers in my 1x12 other than the Mesa C90.

The Mesa closed back 2x12 cabinets that I have tried all sounded really dark to me, OK for heavy distortion but murky for clean tones.

So, what guitar do you use with your LSS, and what kind of music do you gravitate towards? If your preamp tubes are the culprits, I would be interested to know which tubes you are using. Maybe I should try them!

PS: Have you tried your LSS with your Celestion Blues?

Chris

ohhh absolutely, try alnico blue or gold. i am most like going to use a 2x12 sometime in the future. i have used the c90, v30, celstion blue and gold.

i had the blue and v30 from before i bought the amp so of course i had to try them. i was not happy with c90 and isnt it 90 watts? why would a 90 watt speaker be in a 30 watt amp? i dont know much about technical amp stuff so...i experiment :lol: .

from not the best to great (for the higher gain\hard rock\classic stuff just use hot pickups):

c90
v30
blue-great, of course under powered for this amp.
gold-great

i am pretty sure eminence Red Fang would sound close and as good as the blue\gold.

also i put high gain tube in V1 which seems to give it higher gain overall, if that is what you would want. and experiment with a few different premp tubes in all positions. Aside from a few NOS i have tried the TungSol's working out real good and better than the Mesa ones.

thats all- high end 'boutique' EL84 amp. :D

Also, this amp is very expressive and the pickups make a big differance in tone. i dont even bother using my SG because it is the wrong amp for it. seems that way to me anyway. would love to try a tele with the LSS.

LSS has to be my favorite boogie amp, bar none ! (I used to own a stiletto trident, LSC, Nomad and Mark I reissue). I found a soulful, lusty, blusey tone with my PRS McCarty Soapbar (P90s). I thought LSS loved my Strats, but really digs the PRS. And, did I mention LSS takes pedals incredibly well - AC Booster and BB Preamp.

This one's a keeper!!! (sorry JAZZGEAR) 8).

SOUNDS INTERESTING!!!!!!!! :twisted: I have a custom LSS 2x12 combo in black vinyl and tan grill that i'm very proud of. I replaced the C90's in it with 2 V30's and I also hook up a recto cab to the amp but I have 2 Greenbacks in my recto cab. The tones I get from the amp and the cab are AWWESOME!!!!!!!! With the amp alone I was obviously lacking the lowend punch when it came to some songs but the added recto cab with the Greenbacks compliments it perfectly. I can get some PRETTY GOOD RECTIFIER tones with this setup and my Fulltone GT-500 and Fulltone Fulldrive2!!!!! Let me put it this way......the other guitarist in the band I play with uses a Roadster 2x12 cambo with a recto cab and I have NO PROBLEM GIVING HIM A RUN FOR HIS MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna have to try the whole slave thing though......does anyone really know if it will mess with the amp?????

I'd love to hear your tone through your combination of speakers !!! I hope slaving it doesn't affect the amp negatively. It works fine, so I figure Mesa meant it to be hooked up this way. 8)

Latest posts

Back