LSS or the Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krnstressv8

Reaction score
Im deciding to buy the LS but i dont know which one to get, the special or the classic. I tried out the Special and i love it but i cant try a classic out cuz theres none near my area. So which amp is better for the Hillsong United, Michael Guy Chislett sound, if you dont know them please look them up on youtube or w/e and listen to it. Im gunna be using the amp at home and church mostly. I have a les paul classic and plan on buying the amp on ebay. What are the differences b/w the 2.

I went with the LSC. I A/B'd the two and went with the LSC because it sounded better with my guitars, and I enjoyed the tube switching options available on the classic (el34 or 6l6).

Many people feel the LSS has better "chime and bell like tones" with single coil pickups, while the LSC sounds good with either single or double coil pickups.

Honestly, I felt that the both took all my guitars listed below well, except I liked the overall sound of the LSC better than the LSS. Many people feel diferently. Of course I am an old fender amp guy.

I would A/B the two and compare.

Also compare the 1 x 12 vs 2 x 12. I wanted a 2 x 12 but went with the 1 x 12 and an 1 x 12 extension cab, because it sounded better to me.

I play a LSC in our church worship team weekly and it absolutely shines. Throw a G-Major in the loop for effects, EQ, and channel switching and you've got an incredibly versatile rig.

Here's a tip... If you run both gain knobs on channel 2 at about 2:00 and pull all the bass out of the EQ, while keeping the treble high and the presence and Mids about 1/4 or so up you can pull some killer rockin sounds. I use this settings with the amp then just have my individual sounds programmed into the G-Major with it's programmable EQ. I can get everything from classic rock to smooth singing leads with this sort of setup.

.......and a three hour trip to Rhonert Park,a six hour round trip to SF,and a five hour round trip to Sacramento, I finally found one to demo.The first two had the LSS and I played various configuratios.The 410 was very crisp and clear.Very musical.It also weighed a ton.A future hernia for sure!

I only demoed the LSC for about ten minutes,and was soon after placing my order.

In eight weeks I will pick up a LSC head, done in British Tan Bronco w/cane front grill.

Whew, what a long strange trip it's been.

On a side note, I called meas after my first attempt to play one at Zone Music.I explained that the local dealer did not have a LSC to demo, and asked the rep for advice.I explained that the next nearest location I knew of would be the factory.(It is about the same distance as Zone Music for me, as I live in the north bay area)
Meas's response was no, not here, as we have no way to let you demo anything here.They recomended that I go to GC in San Francisco(two and a half hours away, and good luck trying to find a place to park a fullsize truck on Van Ness avenue!)
I walked into GCSF, and they did not have a single Lonstar anything!I was a little miffed by then, and almost took my money to another manufacturer.

Paitently waiting,
Vinnyk

I have both: I even have an LSC head for sale if you're interested.

The beauty in the LSS is with single coil pups; I rarely use mine with humbuckers and ONLY if I'm going to play clean. I consider it pretty much a single coil only amp, buts it GREAT with the single coils.

The LSC sounds great with either; its a much more flexible amp; to me, its very "Fendery"- its got the warmth and the oomph of those 6L6's. Its a less risk choice.

I listened to some of the Hillsong tunes on youtube and If you're looking for that kind of U2 "chime" I can hear in some of the songs (typically WAY in the background), my sense is you want the LSS.

I know its tough, but if you can EVER A/B the maps, the answer will be easy in about 5 minutes. They are THAT different.

**** man, You should have just posted that you were in search of one to test. If you were in Sacramento, you could have just swung by my pad and tested my LSC.

Hope you are happy with it! I know I am!

krnstressv8
In the end, you have to demo/listen and decide for yourself. Too many factors beside just the amps. People like them both here. Either way, you'll get a fantastic amp, or two :wink:

yea, i noe i would have to try them, but i cant find a classic anywhere, im just a teeanger, my parents wont let me go on a road trip just for an amp. Does anybody have the LSC and/or LSS near Glenview, Illinois 60025?

can i get more answers like pjrhd28, i'm guesssing that if i try them i will like both the amps, still be undecided, cuz im a noob.
i want to know which amp will sound like hillsong united/Michael Guy Chislett. Im not gonna buy the amp based on the replies, but itll gib me a better sense on which amp to steer towards.

remember i have a les paul classic, and also planning on buying a telecaster in the future.

I agree with all of the above, you really need to try each of them. You probably don't need to set them up side by side or anything like that; you'll know once you've had a chance to play them both. They're both dreamy.

I went with the LSC because it has more power and punch; it sounds phenomenal with my Gold Top; the larger cab seems to provide a bit of beef that's probably only noticeable if it's not being miked. However, I've heard humbuckers getting a real sweet tone out of the LSS as well, so the thing about the LSS only sounding good with single coils is a myth. Better? Maybe, subjectively. [Edit: This doesn't mean single-coils don't sound great through this amp! They most definitely do.]

That said, a decent Les Paul through a Lone Star Classic is basically a really bad-assed combination. 8)

Here are the Illinois Boogie dealers; someone's gotta have both Lonestars in stock:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/dlr_select_2.php

zappaslaughter said:
**** man, You should have just posted that you were in search of one to test. If you were in Sacramento, you could have just swung by my pad and tested my LSC.

Hope you are happy with it! I know I am!

That is a great offer.Thanks.
I know I will be stoked when it arrives!
Thanks again friend,

Vinnyk

The amps are not high-gain monsters. They both shine - with humbuckers or single coils - for blues, crunch, clean, jazz, and classic rock. Pedals will take you anywhere else you want to go.

That's a ways from me, but probably closer than the Bay area. If you're ever up this way feel free to come by and play my LS. Just PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

The Clasic sounds more like a fender. Cleans are very glassey. Great clean Rock sound. The Special sounds just like Brad Paisley and his Dr Z amps. Great for that clean chicken picking country sound. The distortion in channel two is better in the Special. I personally own the Lone Star Classic.

I can't really discuss differences between the two because I've never played the Classic. When I decided to sell my Mark IV, I was after an amp that used EL-84's (yeah, I wanted the Brad Paisley sound) and could get killer sounds at low volume levels.

I really liked the LSS when I demo'ed it at GC and absolutely love the thing since I have had some time with it. I play COuntry, Southern Rock and some Blues.

TW

Back