• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

looking for advice for safely making a trade through mail

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbsmusic

Reaction score
I have found a guitar I would like to trade a guy for but he is several state away and we would be doing it through UPS. I saw has ad on eBay and I just would like to protect myself because we are trading some high dollar guitars. How would I go about doing this?? Thank you

I'd meet him halfway and make a weekend trip out of it or something. Whatever you do make sure there is no way you are going to get screwed out of your money. Assume the worst because there are a lot of rip off artists out there.

I've done this once. Really I think it boils down to the integrity of the person you are trading with, you really want to make sure you've gotten a sense of security. Talk to the guy on the phone, ask for references in other online sales/trades (say for example Ebay account feedback, or dealings on other forums).

You also want to give him some assurance, so give him references, be open to contact and questions.

Once it comes down to finally making the trade, carefully document it all, the terms, save all emails, personal info, serial numbers of the guitars, and take some pictures incase any goes wrong. Exchange receipts and tracking info for the guitars. I like shipping through the UPS stores because they will package for you for a fee, but that also insures that if for any reason it is damaged due to packaging it is UPS that will cover it.

Hope this helps.

Yeh, I'm really nervous but I think I'll give it a shot, and yes I will get all the info documented and save everything> Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back