lonestar special or dr roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyster

Reaction score
I use a fair bit of overdriven sounds and have a single recto right now, I like the Vintage with gain all the way up and also Modern channel for some songs. I am thinking of upgrading to the roadster. But I do like the sound of a class A amp.

Question, can the lonestar special actually deliver some heavily overdriven tones? How far can it go into that territory? A class A amp would be nice to have but I don't want to have to add an overdrive or distortion pedal to my signal chain, just want to use the drive in the amp itself.

The preamp on the Lonestar special is pretty sweet with the vintage tone of the EL-84’s. The Lonestar special has more of an elastic tone that could get overdriven fairly high, but for more power, gain and headroom, get the old school Lonestar. Its got the 6L6s in it and can get into high gain modes when you are in channel 2 with the Drive switch turned up. But, that is just my opinion. It is your money and your taste in sound. Try em both out bro!

For gain you might find the Lonestar classic to be more up your alley. The Special can get some nasty tones with an overdrive pedal but that really isn't that amp's bread and butter. You certainly won't get recto tones out of it.. the classic will get your closer.

Roadster is probably your cup of tea, play both!

I have to disagree about the lonestar. The distortion on the special is a lot better to my ears. But it doesn't do recto tones. Roadster might be what you need.

I have a clip of the lonestar special here www.myspace.com/ericweise . It's kind of lame (I'm going to post a better one soon) but there is a short solo at the end where you can get an idea of the distortion sound. There are no pedals, just the amp and guitar.

eweise said:
I have to disagree about the lonestar. The distortion on the special is a lot better to my ears. But it doesn't do recto tones. Roadster might be what you need.

I have a clip of the lonestar special here www.myspace.com/ericweise . It's kind of lame (I'm going to post a better one soon) but there is a short solo at the end where you can get an idea of the distortion sound. There are no pedals, just the amp and guitar.

thanks everyone for the comments, keep em coming!
Eric, the tones sound really good!!! and cool tunes too. 8)

oyster said:
I use a fair bit of overdriven sounds and have a single recto right now, I like the Vintage with gain all the way up and also Modern channel for some songs. I am thinking of upgrading to the roadster. But I do like the sound of a class A amp.

Question, can the lonestar special actually deliver some heavily overdriven tones? How far can it go into that territory? A class A amp would be nice to have but I don't want to have to add an overdrive or distortion pedal to my signal chain, just want to use the drive in the amp itself.

If you are a recto man i dont think the Lonestar is really the amp for you . Try a Mark IV . The Roadster would probably be to your liking but it is a similar beast to what you already have . Just a bit more versital .

Gosh, two complete different amps if you asks me.

I want to get Lone Star Special because I don't want to get a Recto sound because I could do that with my other MESA amp.

I want to get a sweet smooth moderate gain, power tubes and OT transformer saturation and specially Class A I think the LoneStar Special could do that for me.

This is the preception of what I think of the LoneStar Special. Is this what you are looking for?

Lonestar Special will give you a very smooth / unprocessed distortion sound. Toss an overpedal on top of that and you have a very classic liquid distortion sound.

oyster, One of the music channels on DirecTV is broadcasting a Foo Foo Fighters concert. Grohl has a miced LSS right behind him on the stage. There is another guitarist, but Grohl's tones can be heard separately often.

Might worth a look and listen to hear what a LSS can do in the distortion zone.

Talking about Lone Star Special, Guitar Player Magazine did a review on it, getting "Editor' Choice".

Here some highlights: it is only true Class A in 5 watt mode. And the 5YA rectifier only works in this mode. That means the 15 watt / 30 watt mode, it's using the diode rectifier.

Reading the article Randal Smith did some clever design with the output transformer so it could be Class A (5 watt) /AB (15 watt, 30 watt).

With my Hagstrom deluxe(Les Paul) I can get a warm nasty overdriven tone without using the drive switch on my LSS.The amp sound completely different depending on the guitar you're using,sometimes cheap guitars sounds better than expensives ones(and its my case).A class A combo fits well in the trunk of a car and will last forever(+ it smells sweet when its warm :wink: ...even my drummer take breaks to breath near my amp.)

you are wrong about the rectifier tube only working in 5 watt mode. It is also active in 15 watt mode. the 30 watt mode is the only setting using the diodes. It is Class A in all modes, it is just "Single Ended" in 5 watt mode, meaning that only one power amp tube is working. The power amp is set up Class A just like a Matchless and Bad Cat, it has a push pull type circuit, but still class A.

read the "Class A exposed and explained" by Randall Smith.

As far as a smooth overdrive, this amp is it. Do a forum search and read all of the posts by LSS owners. It is a different animal from the LSC.

I'd suggest upgrading to a Roadster or complimenting your Recto with a Stiletto Ace.

Also the LSS can sound very different depending on how you tube it. With stock mesas the overdrive is a bit rough (to my ears), JJs smoother and various NOS late breakup tubes smoother still.

It takes pedals pretty well, and I've a good recto approximation (apart from the big cabinet of course) using a Damage Control Solid Metal Pedal.

speedy mcfeely said:
you are wrong about the rectifier tube only working in 5 watt mode. It is also active in 15 watt mode. the 30 watt mode is the only setting using the diodes.
I'll re-read that article part in Guitar Player Magazine 'cause I thought I read the the 5YA rectifier tube works only in 5-watt mode. Remember I said I thought I read it because a 5YA is a very low power supply rectifier tubes that are usually used in small tube amps such as Fender Champ type amps. I'm not so sure it has enough to power over 10 watts. I see like dual 6V6s which is like 12 watts or so (depending) that uses 5U4. But I could be mistaken.
speedy mcfeely said:
It is Class A in all modes, it is just "Single Ended" in 5 watt mode, meaning that only one power amp tube is working. The power amp is set up Class A just like a Matchless and Bad Cat, it has a push pull type circuit, but still class A.

read the "Class A exposed and explained" by Randall Smith.
Yes I read that article already. Depending on the definition of "True Class A" like you mentioned "push-pull" type circuit but still catagorized as Class A. Fair enough, like the amps you mentioned above which includes ACVox30. Around some tube aficionados "True A" means Single End only.

Bottom line for me, I want a LoneStar Special. But I would recommend oyster a Roadster. :wink:

Bottom line for me, I want a LoneStar Special. But I would recommend oyster a Roadster.

Agreed.
Sorry if I came off mean, or arogant, this was not my intent. I love my LSS. I use a Visual Sound RT-66 for heavier crunch.

I'd have to say that oyster would probably happier with a Roadster. He'd still get the SLC type of cleans but would have the recto side of it covered, as well. They're a little more expensive, but your getting double the channels and a broader spectrum of tones.

Yeah, the class A would be nice, but don't underestimate the clean tones that you'd get. It's about as close as you'll get to having it all as your going to get, and it comes at a lower price point than the Road King.

Oyster, I'm not sure if you're looking for a head or a combo, but keep in mind that the Roadster is a closed back, so your sound will be more focused which may be to your liking.

speedy mcfeely:

You are correct, the 15 watt mode is still in tube rectifier mode. So I was wro..., wron... wron ..... (*cough*) I misinformed myself ! Yeah, that's it, I was misinformed. :lol:

I just find the Maverick, Blue Angel and now the LoneStar Special something that's not typical hi gain "Boogie" but still flexible gain preamps that hits the sweet spots for me.

oyster said:

I think the Lonestar has great high-gain sounds. Andy Timmons tone on Resolution is a Lonestar and he get excellent mid to high gain tones. I was always surprised by how good the Lonestar sounds when the gain is cranked.

Well thanks very much everyone for your help.

I tried out the LSS and also the Roadster for a couple hours at my local guitar shops...both are excellent, but obviously very very different amps.

In the end I went for the Roadster. So many options for routing FX, rectifier selection, power selection (50/100W), channel selectable effect loop and reverb level (and a very very nice reverb I might add), four channels, bold/spongy variac switch, and of course the nice liquid overdriven tone that I love so much. Although I really liked the crunchy tones of the LSS, it only got somewhat close to the level of drive I need for a good majority of my tunes. I would have to put an OD pedal in front and I (a) don't want to add anything else to my signal chain and (b) take chances with trying to find an OD that will give me what the Roadster can give me by itself anyway.

I jammed with my band on Friday night and I was really happy with the tones and having 4 channels was also REALLY cool. 8) 8) It passed the acid test. :wink:

Latest posts

Back