Lonestar Head via Lonestar 1x12 Cab . . . .

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enigma

Reaction score
I played it today with a Fender EJ strat, and sounds noticeably better than the combo! It's so sweet; beautfully clean and nice break up tone.

Now, why is that??? The cab is an open back with a Black Shadow speaker.

enigma said:
I played it today with a Fender EJ strat, and sounds noticeably better than the combo! It's so sweet; beautfully clean and nice break up tone.

Different tubes?

Same tubes. It has to do something w/ a separate cab (?) . . . .

a combo is a compromise of amp and speaker cab. once you plug into a dedicated speaker cab you will hear a difference. The amp section of the LSC combo and LSC head should be the same.

Yeah, having a dedicated cab seems to make a POSITIVE difference. Does the combo come w/ black shadow speakers?

enigma said:
Yeah, having a dedicated cab seems to make a POSITIVE difference. Does the combo come w/ black shadow speakers?

Yes, I believe all of the combos have Black Shadow speakers in them. I know mine does.

plan-x said:
a combo is a compromise of amp and speaker cab. once you plug into a dedicated speaker cab you will hear a difference. The amp section of the LSC combo and LSC head should be the same.

Plan x has it correct . Combos were designed primarily for covenience . Having a head and cab is another way to dial your sound in a bit more . I definately go for the head and cab over a combo .

Maury said:
I think the stock LSC combo comes with a different speaker - not a black shadow.

Same speaker.....

But I had the LSC in both the 1x12 and x 2x12 combo configurations -- and now I have the 2007 LSC Head & 2x12 cab....

I have a different opinion on the tone -- I find that the combo versions sounded better to my ears. Perhaps it may have to do with the fact that both combos I purchased used and were already broken in -- and the head/cab I have now is brand new and the speakers are still a bit stiff.

Its all subjective. I use a 4X12 Stiletto slant cab with mine and with amazing results i might add . Of course the slant has V30s in it .

Hey Jazzgear, What do you think of your 2X12 Stiletto cab ? Im curious about it . Was wondering what a mark IV might sound like on that cab .

enigma said:

lol! That's funny. I thought the LSC combo I bought from you sounded better than the head/cab LSC setup I have now....so go figure :lol:

Barry said:
Hey Jazzgear, What do you think of your 2X12 Stiletto cab ? Im curious about it . Was wondering what a mark IV might sound like on that cab .

Still waiting on both the 2x12 and 4x12 Stiletto cabs.

To get the best of both worlds I play my LSC 2x12 combo with a convertible 2x12 ext cab loaded with Webers. Awesome sound, with 5 speaker options. Combo only, combo plus open back ext, combo plus closed back ext, closed back ext only, & open back ext only.

JAZZGEAR,
But, you then sold the LSC I sold you! Go figure :lol:

It must've been the combination of the LSC head, 1x12 cab, Fender EJ Strat, and my fingers that produced awesome tones at GC 8)

enigma said:
JAZZGEAR,
But, you then sold the LSC I sold you! Go figure :lol:

It must've been the combination of the LSC head, 1x12 cab, Fender EJ Strat, and my fingers that produced awesome tones at GC 8)

Yeah....I know and you warned me not to do it. But at the time I was only buying knowing that I'd have to sell it (it was stop gap purchase) -- as I already had the RK II on order.

I wish I would of held on to that one...it really had the sound for me. The setup I have sounds good -- but not as sweet as the combo (at least to me).

And btw the EJ is a great strat -- one of Fender's best. I bought two if them with the Sale of my Suhr Classic. The Suhr was nice, but the EJ has the strat sound I like.

Latest posts

Back