Lonestar 23 1X12 vs 27 1X12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziehmrd

Reaction score
Has anybody used both the 23" and 27" versions of the 1X12 cab? I'm thinking about converting to a medium headshell and matching 23" cab for the sake of portability and was wondering what I might lose soundwise with the smaller cab.

I don't have direct experience with these particular cabs, but from my experience with other Mesa cabs, the 23" will sound boxy in comparison to the 27".

I do have firsthand experience with a 5:25 combo and a Mark IV combo, with and without a 3/4 Back 1x12" cab. The 3/4 Back cab has a very full sound, and the 12" speaker just sounds huge. Nobody ever thinks it's just a 1x12".

So back to your question - I'd get the 27" cab, or if you could live without a matching cab, I'd seriously try the 3/4 Back.

Full disclosure: Yes, I have a 3/4 Back cab in the classified section, but I've been recommending this cab since long before I was attempting to sell it.

I have the LSS 23" combo and an Electra-Dyne 27" combo... both with the same speaker.

I've never plugged the LSS into the 27" combo, but I can honestly say that the 27" sounds a lot better. Basically the 23" cab is a bit boxy sounding in the mids while the 27" produces a fuller sound.

+1 on the 3/4 back 1x12. That thing is amazing.

I have the 27" 1x12 LS cab and it sounds great too. I agree the 23" sounds boxy by comparison; the 27" is a great, (relatively) lightweight cab and very worth the extra weight and outlay.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback on the cabs. I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with my 27" cab, maybe even get something to go along with it. :) I spoke with MESA about this also when I was getting pricing on the medium headshell and they concurred with everyone here about the 23" being more boxy or focused.

Latest posts

Back