Lead sounds on DR!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easy answer is to use Vintage mode for leads and Modern for rhythm. It's much nicer and has a better 'feel'. Output high, master lower,gain about 12 o'clock not too much bass and hardly any presence. Sings like a bird. 8) This is with std tubes and works with all the guitars I own.

I know the opening poster was discussing a DR, but I've found my RKII to be really versatile for leads…even when set up closer to a classic DR (6L6, Vintage). I do realize it’s not an ‘Apples and Apples’ comparison. It may not be the shred tone the OP was looking for, but here’s an example…

I was in a David Bowie cover band for a short time awhile back, so I was breaking away from the shred tone and looking for something closer to a Ronson early 70’s tone. IMHO, I think I did a decent job of dialing in some ‘sing’ and some ‘definition’. May not be the ‘end all, be all’, but I feel a decent effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgPsgprasP4

Of course, this was obviously a strat, but with a RKII (or a DR), you just have to keep dialing in till you get what your after…it’s in there, you just have to dig.

Strat

This is interesting because I have never had any problems getting a lead tone from my Dual. I even stopped using a BB Preamp for a booster. The one thing that made a difference is switching to EL34's, but that's a whole different topic.

try working with the "vintage setting" ive found some really nice singing lead tones with it on rectifiers. :/

label thief said:
try working with the "vintage setting" ive found some really nice singing lead tones with it on rectifiers. :/

Yours and others mention of using the vintage setting for lead work piqued my interest. Any baseline settings you recommend?

I got a mark III LOaded eq, Half power, r2mod, reverb, C+mod and i hate it. I HATE IT. Got the thing back from boogie. They retolexed it with some nice grey snake skin thang, recapped, retubed, cleaned it up did everything to the **** thing It looks brand new they even replaced the pots and i cant still cant get a good heavy tone on it at all. THe lead tone is nice dont get me wrong, But its the loudest amp i have ever heard its nuts. But for me ill still with my dr modded and a boost and or eq for solos. IF anYONE wants to buy it ill sell it cheap 900 free shipping. (BRAND NEW TUBES, POTS, Jacks, Caps, C+ bye mike b etc

Southernhell said:
label thief said:

Yours and others mention of using the vintage setting for lead work piqued my interest. Any baseline settings you recommend?
i hae the presence at 7 oclock, bass at 12, mids at 11, treble at 11, and gain at one oclock with the vintage setting on channel three of my roadster. and this is boosted by a ts 808 with the level all the way up, gain down, and tone at 10.5 oclock. :)

label thief said:
Southernhell said:
label thief said:

i hae the presence at 7 oclock, bass at 12, mids at 11, treble at 11, and gain at one oclock with the vintage setting on channel three of my roadster. and this is boosted by a ts 808 with the level all the way up, gain down, and tone at 10.5 oclock. :)

Thanks, will try this out tonight at our show. Give me a reason to hook up some channel switching.

I have Single Rectifier serie II with roadking 4x12 cabinet
I get nice lead tones on vintage channel
output : 3
Master : 5
Presence : 4.5
Bass : 4
Middle : 5
Treble : 5.5-6
Gain : 7

I use a boss OD-3 in front of the amp for a slight boost. Gain turned down
My guitar is a Peavey HP Special CT.

That's it. Even without the OD it sounds nice. Just turn your guitar volume down a bit for rhytym and up for solos..
Good luck

Latest posts

Back