KRANK

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwielding1

Reaction score
I've got a mark III but am kinda gassing for a KRANK(enstein) half stack... Anyone play one? Or a revolution?
ax. :twisted:

Hype.

Krank is practically giving their amps away to every nu-thrash/metalcore band out there just to be seen, so I think you're falling for marketing hype.

If you like their amps, go for it.....personally, I think they sound like ***. Don't get me wrong......I'm not saying they suck, just that I don't like them

Besides, I actively avoid anything Dime endorses for a reason; although Dime was a killer player, his tone wasn't anything to be desired.....

IMO.

P.S. - The Krankenstien uses a solid state clipping circuit in the preamp.

Krank amps are not good ,you simply visit company site and listen to
sounclips. These amps sounded SOLID STATE, they don't have bottom end
like a Mesa. Dimebag Darrel used these amps because the sound (for him) was near to SOLID STATE Randall amps and because He earned money to play this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mesa is another world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just left the website.. Some of the soundclips were cool, but it does seem a little transistory in the high gain settings. I still wanna try one, just to get it out of my head, if nothing else....

I tried a Chadwick and Krankenstein about a month back. I think you need to be smoking krack for these amps to sound good. My Peavey XXX smoked them both.

:lol: KRACK!!! :lol:

BTW........................ :lol: Still gotta try the KRACK....(Krank)

The Kranks' are a different animal. They DO NOT have any where near the bottom end that my dual rec's have. The preamp is really fizzy. I also saw Fear Factory live playing a wall of them, I was grooving the tone until Dream Theater took the stage and Petrucci's tone was far more chunkier and defined.

Word is that Dime NEVER played Randalls...he supposedly had an old modded Superlead that he kept in the back, behind his "Randall" rig.

This came from a pretty reliable source. Like someone said, there are guys who play the gear they endorse, and there are guys that will just endorse whatever and keep playing their old stuff stealth.

Like someone said, there are guys who play the gear they endorse, and there are guys that will just endorse whatever and keep playing their old stuff stealth.

That IS true... Vai has been a Carvin man for a long time... But has been known to have racks of Soldanos, Bogners and even old Marshalls...

EVH endoresed Peavey, but played SLO's in his rig.

I remember when KoRn got their first "endorsement" from Hughes and Kettner... and as long as I've seen them (and met them a few times) they've played Mesas.

funk49 said:
Word is that Dime NEVER played Randalls...he supposedly had an old modded Superlead that he kept in the back, behind his "Randall" rig.

This came from a pretty reliable source. Like someone said, there are guys who play the gear they endorse, and there are guys that will just endorse whatever and keep playing their old stuff stealth.

That's what I hear too. My good friend works at a local music store, his dad is also one of the managers, and there's this customer that comes in every now and again who says that he was Dime's guitar tech for a little while. He was telling my friend how Dime was 'endorsed' by Randall, but had a Marshall combo or something in the back.

That was the first time I had ever heard of a musician doing that. At the time I was too young and niave to understand why someone would do that, but I now know the ugly truth.

Well, I got to try one out, at volume...
Can you say LINE 6?
That's what it sounded like. VERY transistory...Anyway, glad I got it out of my system..
Oh, and it was designed around metal, which is the way I tried it first, which wasn't good. But, all the other tones were equally uninspiring. :roll:
This was the Krankenstein half stack/matched set.
thanks guys.
ax. 8)
BTW, I think the metal zone is an appropriate analogy.....Except without as good a tone.

I guess the whole krank phenominom is a kind of based in a marketing skeme. It's funny though a lot of guitar players here in toronto are dumping their dual recs and buying Kranks. I tried one out and I can honestly say it suits someone else not me but then again I don't play metalcore. On the positive there will be alot of second hand DR's available soon and because im a stiletto guy I can pick one up for a cheaper price to add flavor. Cool ! Their loss is my gain

We opened for Nevermore a while back. They had Krank amps and it sounded like Metal. I don't really know what you're wanting but if you like high gain, full shred distortion... I'd say you're on the right track. As far as low end goes, most bands have bass players these days. So... you'll probably be okay.

I have just reciently got off the KranK. I bought it online without ever trying one for a lot less than new. I should have clued in to how cheap it was because it's now obvious to me how hard they are to get rid of. The word is out and it all true. There is nothing good to say about these amps.
I don't want to get in to it too much but I will say that the EQ is totally inaffective and it probably feels that way because you are always fighting this nasal kinda twang sound that never goes away. And at high volumes it sounds very bright ( it hurt my ears :evil: ). I don't know what genre they were after with this one.
Anyway, I found a store in Toronto that would take it in on a trade for a Road King. I told them that I had paid full pop for the Krank when I had actually paid less than what they gave me so I got a good deal out of it a least. Funny thing was that there were quite a few people checking it out while I was doing the deal. I even let a couple guys play it. I felt like saying good luck but I took the Road King and ran instead!
I should have went with the Road King in the first place!!!
I thought this was appropriate for a first post. Glad to be a part of the Mesa family.

Hey man! I saw your post yesterday over on BaM. Welcome to the Boogie Board.

Taking the RK and running was exactly the thing to do! I have a Mark IIc, but I'd really love to have a Road King.

I got to play a Krankenstein fullstack in my store....

Horrible amp....sounds like a $50 distortion pedal, not a $3000 tube halfstack.....thin fizzy distortion with little tone at all....horrible amp IMO....the store never sold it, they sent it back to Krank....

You're better off with a Mesa IMO.

I was about to tell you about his experience, but he got here! ^^He wrote a thread about it, and it is very true.

the funny thing is, that guitar world gave the krankinstien a platnium award and for some reason said it was awesome...MORAL OF THE STORY: always pay less, and don t listen to reviews from magazines.

Latest posts

Back