Known Controller Issues With G-Major

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robstar

Reaction score
I have a new G-Major but no controller yet. I've read through the Forums, manual and FAQs for over a week now. The Behringer 1010 is interesting and seems popular but TC only rates it as "moderately compatible" and that it only allows toggling of five of the seven effects.

Looking at the Ground Control Pro and/or Rocktron Midi Mate are there any "KNOWN" limitations using them with the G-Major as far as selecting individual effects; ie. toggling, tap tempo... anything that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

i use the midimate w/ my g-major and have full control of it: CC changes, program changes, etc.

i'm happy with :)

pjrake said:
i use the midimate w/ my g-major and have full control of it: CC changes, program changes, etc.

Thank you, are you able to individually switch/toggle all seven individual effects on and off?

Thanks!

Nope! I use the midi mate as well with the G Major. It works very well. However, when you have it in stomp mode, you have 5 patch change buttons, and 5 effect on/off buttons - not 7. You have to decide what's most important to you. You can assign any of the effects to a midi control button, as well as solo boost, mute, etc, so there are more than 7 things to choose from. I use phaser, pitch, cho/fla, delay, tap tempo as my 5 choices. Also, no expression pedal on the midi mate so if that's vital to you, you'll have to get a seperate one.

I use a Ground Control (older one not the pro) with my Gmajor and can control 6 individual functions when it's in the "split" mode as well as 4 direct patch selections within each bank - they call it "Bank4". depends on the software version (needs to be 2 or higher) if this feature is available or not. got mine pretty cheap on HC ($50 + shipping or so I think - it's been a while). See them on the 'bay pretty often for under $100 - and the occaisional nut that wants the same price as a new Pro.

When I was researching a midi pedal it came down to the Ground Control and the Midimate - they seemed to be about the same capability-wise. GC has two inputs for CC pedals and can be powered through the midi jack (7-pin). A must-have is the 5-7 pin phantom power midi cable that Rocktron makes - saves another cable on stage. Whoever made that cable is right up there with the guy that came up with the wheel imo - sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Went with the GC for two reasons - found it at a great price and I liked the green display better than the midimate's red. They even e-mailed me the manual since it didn't come with one. Always appreciate good service especially when they didn't make a dime off of me.

Back