GCX & GCP with the Mark V and a G-Major

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am really starting to love my Mark V, but have a problem with the IA buttons on my GCP.

Here is my setup:
Guitar
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Planet Waves tuner pedal
GCX "Guitar IN"
BB Pre pedal (GCX Loop 1) for solo boost and mild overdrive
Mark V input
G-Major 2 in the amp's loop

I have the GCP/GCX programmed to control 3 of the amp's functions, Channel 2, Channel 3, and GEQ. I do not use the Solo boost because my tone already cuts through the mix very well and we only have 1 guitar player. I like to use the Graphic or Preset EQ for my solo boost.
This setup works very well, but is limited.
The GCP Instant Access buttons can only send one CC command each. This is fine for most things, but if I want to turn on the GEQ of the amp and the delay on the G Major with the press of one button, I have to create a new preset.

The GCP only has 2 modes: 10 Preset, and 4 Preset w/8 IA buttons. The 10 Preset mode will not work for me because then I loose all IA buttons. Plus, 2 of the bottom buttons now become useless for Presets.
In my situation, it would be much better for me to have 8 available Presets and 4 IA buttons. The GCP simply cannot do this.
I love how easy the GCP is to program and how well it works with the GCX. I think that I have come to a point where I need to upgrade either the GCP or the GCX.

Here is how my setup used to be programmed with a 2 channel amp. This worked perfectly for my band but was a little bit limited by the amount of tones available from the amp:
1. Clean w/mild delay and chorus
2. Clean channel w/BB Pre, mild delay and chorus and pitch detune
3. Channel 2 (Heavy Distortion) dry
4. Channel 2 (Solo) w/delay, chorus, and reverb

Here is how I have the GCP programmed now (4 Preset mode):
2. Clean channel w/BB Pre, mild delay and chorus and pitch detune
3. Channel 2 (Mark I) dry, no EQ
4. Channel 3 (Mark IV) dry, no EQ

Here is what I would like to do now, but the GCP can't pull it off unfortunately.....
Bottom row of buttons:

2. Clean channel w/BB Pre dry
3. Channel 2 (Mark I) dry, no EQ
4. Channel 3 (Mark IV) dry, no EQ

Middle row of buttons:
1. Clean w/mild delay and chorus & EQ
2. Clean channel w/BB Pre, mild delay and chorus and pitch detune & EQ
3. Channel 2 (Mark I) w/mild delay and chorus & EQ
4. Channel 3 (Mark IV) w/mild delay and chorus & EQ

Top row of buttons (All IA buttons):
1, Tuner mute
2. Auto-Wah on/off
3. Delay on/off
4. Tap Tempo

What midi pedal are you guys using (if you're using one), and is there an easier way to do what I am trying to accomplish?
It seems that if the GCP were able to send more than one CC (say around 4 or so) from each IA button, my problems would be solved.

Our music moves around a lot. There are a couple of songs that need about 8 different tones.

I always had a work around with a 2 channel amp, but the Mark V has sort of exceeded the limitations of the GCP/GCX.
I can't even have an IA button that simply changes channels (from channel 2 to 3 or channel 3 to 2) because I need to turn one loop off and another loop on at the same time.
Of course, I can always go from clean channel to channel 2 or channel 3 with an IA button and then back to clean.
If I wanted to go from clean to channel 2, then to channel 3, I have to use a preset.

I have been reading manuals for every midi pedal I can find. Most of them only send 1 CC per IA button.
I think it may be time to switch from a GCX to another looper/switcher that has programmed presets.
Then, with the IA button, I can just call up a preset on the switcher.

I'm really hoping that someone here has found a very simple work around for this. I really don't want to buy anything else.

Don't know what else to tell you here that will help. That's what banks are for. Arrange your tones for the songs across banks. Worst case is that you have to hit the bank switch in addition to a patch switch.

I never saw the point of the EQ footswitch on the Mark V, but that might just be how I use it. I don't know how to get usable tones without it on because the mids are just too far forward and boxy. The EQ seems necessary to make them sit right. Any other amp I wouldn't scoop like that. So if you really find you can do without switching the EQ in and out, that will open up another IA switch for you that you don't have to assign to the GCX. Not sure if that helps. Personally, I'd assign it to the Solo switch, even in a one guitar band.

I actually use my EQ as a solo boost for the most part.
I have the cleans dialed in where I like them.
Channel 2 is singing.
Channel 3 is going to be modified so that it is not so mid dominant, then I won't need to use the EQ all the time there.

It's not the EQ button that is messing things up, it's the fact that I have to turn one IA off and another IA on if I want to change from channel 2 to channel 3 (or channel 3 to channel 2) within the same preset.
Honestly, that's what IA buttons are for. Making changes within presets.

I think I found a cheap work around though. I have a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher that I was about to send back because I thought it was redundant. I bought it when I was thinking about ditching the whole rack idea.
It can store presets that can be accessed with a PC command. I'm going to hook it all up today and see if this will work. If it does, I'll just sell the GCX and keep the Control Switcher.

Latest posts

Back