Keeley Compressor

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone use this pretty little box?
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8

I want it, and not just because it's pretty :wink:

Tell me about it! How do you use it? With what equipment, and to what end? I already know the basics of compression in the recording process but haven't really tried playing with compression in the guitar signal chain.

Also... should I get the 2-knob or the 4-knob version?

Thanks

It's incredible!

I've got the two-knob version. Really squishy! I'd get the 4-knob version, though. More versatile!

Great peda l! ! !

camsna said:
It's incredible!

I've got the two-knob version. Really squishy! I'd get the 4-knob version, though. More versatile!

Great peda l! ! !

shoots...I just ordered the 2 button version...what is the different with the 4 and 2 knobs....?

shoots...I just ordered the 2 button version...what is the different with the 4 and 2 knobs....?

Sonically there is no difference- the 2 knob version has the other 2 knobs available internally as trim-pots. Shouldn't make much difference which you play unless you change guitars frequently that have significantly different outputs..
Keeley makes a great compressor.

Laskyman

Great pedal. I've read that its a copy of the old 80's Ross Compressor but with better components. Can't find the article. I like it because its very tone transparent unlike say a dyna comp. I'm still figuring out how I want to use it. Right now I use to to add over the top sustain to my single coil guitars and a lot for cleans.

I have the two knob version. I see the main reason to get the 4 knob is if you're using it in the studio with lots of different (high output) sources. I guess the attack knob would add some response variables to your sound. Haven't tried it so not sure if its worth the extra cost.

I'm using compression in my signal chain after my wah and before everything else. I originally wanted it because when clean, I hate that uneven balance of volume b/w strings and I really wanted smoother sounding chording. I ended up with Barber Tone Press because it seemed even more transparent than Keeley (and the Keeley was nice too). Now I'm using it on all of the time, clean and distortion. It's very subtle, adds some sustain, rounds out any rough edges tone-wise, and doesn't alter the tone at all. All I can say is "smooth". Keeley might give you a bit more of that compressed sound like country players use, and the Barber is barely noticable at normal settings which is what I was after. I'll bet a country player wouldn't choose a Barber. I'm hooked and my bandmates tell me it's the best tone I've had in over 25 years.

+1 on gonzo's review. That was pretty much my experience.

+1 on gonzo's review. That was pretty much my experience

And I cant find many who disagree....so, I ordered a Tone Press online- completely blind-
should be here soon. If it isn't what I hope it will be, I will return it and go with the Diamond or T-Rex...
more news to follow....

Laskyman

Anywhere else to buy it? (price shop)

Not to plug anyones store, but I went through Proguitarshop.com as I have been checking out their reviews for months, and they were sweethearts on the phone. They shipped the same day as the order ($149.95 shipped). I always like to support the local shops, but none of them carry anything too far off the beaten path.
If this goes down well, I will shop with them again as they have a tremendous selection of pieces....

Laskyman

good luck on the purchase Laskyman. The Tone Press was the only thing I ever ordered completely blind too and was glad I did. It's subtle. You'll barely know when it's on but you'll know when it's off once you get used to it. I use their "magic dust" setting with blend/sustain around 11:00 for general purposes.

I use their "magic dust" setting with blend/sustain around 11:00 for general purposes

Just came in the mail! 2 days from order to board....impressive service from the guys in Oregon!
I have BARELY checked it out and I am leaving town for the weekend.....I will definately check out your settings- you use the same settings for clean and dirty playing?
The build looks very tight and the inner workings look sharp as well...I will get as much time as I can before morning...

Laskyman

I use the same settings for clean/overdrive because it's easy. I don't like bending down in a gig to tweak knobs if I can help it. I find the magic dust setting to be a nice balance. If I were recording, I'd probably tweak by guitar/channel/song etc. My other guitar player just bought the Barber LTD yesterday (he's a Gretsch/Fender amp guy). He is reporting great things as well. We're going to burn his Boss Blues Driver in a bon fire this weekend. Barber just seems to make good stuff.

jab said:
I'm using compression in my signal chain after my wah and before everything else. I originally wanted it because when clean, I hate that uneven balance of volume b/w strings and I really wanted smoother sounding chording. I ended up with Barber Tone Press because it seemed even more transparent than Keeley (and the Keeley was nice too). Now I'm using it on all of the time, clean and distortion. It's very subtle, adds some sustain, rounds out any rough edges tone-wise, and doesn't alter the tone at all. All I can say is "smooth". Keeley might give you a bit more of that compressed sound like country players use, and the Barber is barely noticable at normal settings which is what I was after. I'll bet a country player wouldn't choose a Barber. I'm hooked and my bandmates tell me it's the best tone I've had in over 25 years.

I have always used compression after od effects. but will try the set up you describe. does it not negate your od effect?

doesn't seem to negate anything with the OD, but of course try it both ways and see. I just used the general recommendations out there of putting compression earlier in the chain.

:lol: I'll probably buy one blindly as well.

I checked it out. The only place in New Mexico that sells their products is in Aztec, other side of the state from me. They also wanted $20 more than the Barber website stated.

I thought I had enough in the Paypal account, but I'll have to wait until tonight when the LSC sells.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I know it wasn't my thread, but I had the very same question on my mind when I found this today.

Latest posts

Back