Just ordered up an Engl Fireball 100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryjan said:
What would you say the Fireball 100 compares to most? Recto, Mark, Marshall?

From what I've heard, ENGLs are aimed squarely at the 'high-gainers'. I saw / heard some at a show and they do that brutal super distorted tone well. In my opinion, the guy with the Recto had a more 'musical' tone but I don't know that sweetness is necessarily desirable when playing metal.

In this case, it is apples to oranges.

If I had to compare it to other amps I have owned I would say that this thing Box stock is similar to, yet miles ahead of my old modded 5150II.

Right now I own a Marshall JVM410 for the rock (think from Zep/Who/ACDC to Guns) and oldschool metal stuff (think thrash, some glam stuff), Mesa 2:90/TriAxis rig also for thrash, for anvil dropping modern metal (think LoG, Machine Head) or early 2000's black (think Immortal).

This amp sort of caught my eye when it came out because it was advertised as being darker than the old Fireball 60 (which I got to test drive once and didn't really like that much), and because it has a "Mid Boost" knob (ENGLs are great amps but they desperately need some mids IMO). My bandmate has a V1 Powerball and I like some of the modern-ish tones you can get from it... but I can also dial in some mean **** on my MESA.

Would you say I would gain some tonal variety by getting a FB100?? I mean I can get a great clean from the Boogie rig and also a killer disto tone (go Lead 1 RED :D), but the FB sounds pretty sweet on clips and such (and if it's comparable to a PB I can imagine quite well how it would sound in person) - my only concern is I'd be buying an amp that would give me tones I can already nail pretty much.

Back