Just Bought My First Triple Rec!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Lehman

Reaction score
Hey Guys, First Post here.
Figured I should join up since I am now owner of a Triple Rec

I would just like some basic feedback and maybe some tips and tricks about them.

I have been on a quest to find my new tone. I am in a metal band in OK, and i have been going through different amps until I can find one I gel with.

So far I have tried.... DV Mark Triple 6...... Peavy 6505+....... EVH 5150 III 50 watt....... and now the Mesa
My original rig was a POD2.0 through a JCM800 ( not that great )

So I just received the Mesa this evening and couldn't wait to tear it apart to see what I had. It is loaded with Ruby EL34's/ Sovtek 12AX7's/ and GT 5U4's

It was built in 11/97 and it is the 2 channel version. I bought it used from guitar center and hopefully I didnt pay too much. About $1000 for it.

I purposefully bought the two channel as I had heard they have a better tone than the newer three channel versions.

I have thirty days to take it back so any info would be great, bad or good.

I would give it 7/10 for cosmetic condition. has a few small dings in the vinyl covering, and the diamond plate cover needs a polishing. It is definitely DIRTY. Needs a good cleaning top to bottom

Unfortunately I haven't got to try it out yet because my son was already asleep when UPS showed up.

Let Me know your thoughts.

Nick

I have a 2 channel dual rec revisionF made in 96', paid $750 from a guy I know on craigslist, just bought a 2 channel triple rec revisionF 96', on ebay from a music store for $1100. Swapped out the tubes with JJ KT88's and nos and JJ pre's. Both amps sound killer! I play metal too.

I hope you will like the tone, you can experiment with different tube types both power and pre's.

Yeah I have been reading up on the Eurotubes website about using the KT-88's in there.

I got to play it for a bit earlier, but couldnt crank it. Hell I think that on the modern/red channel the volume at about 9 or 10 o'clock was enough the match my drummer for practice. And that was also in the spongy power setting and using the tube rectifiers.

So what would be the benefits from using KT-88's as opposed to 6L6? I know Bob offers a combo of KT-88 and KT-66 with high gain 12AX7 pres.

I play metal that has alot of more technical riffs, not just power chords the whole time.

I'll be honest, from what I heard earlier on the triple rec is wasn't far off from where I was to begin with, just with much more volume.

I know that there is alot of tube combos, but that's really not going to change the tone, right?

Is there a definite difference between the 2 channel recto's and the 3 channel recto's?

Man, these suckers sounds so thick and mean, you're going to have fun with it!

Yes, the core 'DNA' recto tone is pretty much the same from amp to amp but each version has it's own sort of 'flavour'. I hope you don't use much clean because the best tones in that amp are hidden beneath the improvised clean on the orange channel. Orange set to vintage high gain is warmer and has a great feel, especially for lead playing.

I'd use BOLD instead of Spongy for Metal. Experiment between Silicone Diode Rectifiers and the Tube Rectifiers. The Diodes are tighter but a bit more 'sterile' sounding.

For Red / Modern, here are some tone tips: I generally nudge the treble back below 12:00 and I dial the bright top end back in with the presence. From there I turn the mids UP past 12:00 noon and dial the bass back below 12 noon. The Recto has a very scooped tone with a propensity to being overwhelmingly bassy; this makes it perfect for NU Metal. Turning down the Treble a bit makes the mid control more responsive which means more mids can be dialed in both for thickness, crunch, and cut. The bass gets so tubby that you really want to lower it until it becomes percussive and tight, especially for more technical styles.

Pickups: Generally something with a clearer tone is better than something with a warmer tone. I like Bare Knuckle pickups for this reason.

Boost: If you want an uber-modern tone you'll most likely want to boost your amp. Lots of guys like the tone of boosted rectos, others not so much.

Cabs: Mesa OEM v30s give that signature sound. I've gotten a great result mixing the v30s with c90s for a smoother top end but a quartet of v30s is best for all out aggression. I'd preference the Traditional Rectocab over the Standard because of 'more mids'.

Before you throw a bunch of power tubes at it I'd contact Mesa and ask about the KT88's first. Bob at Eurotubes has a lot of great info on his site but I wouldn't bet a thousand dollar amp on his opinions. Get it straight from the factory.

I play metal and hard rock with a Roadster and I have no problem getting my amp tight enough with either 6l6's or EL34's like it was designed for. I don't use any boosts or eq's. You'll have to work on your picking and technique a bit but it will make you a better player and you will be able to plug straight into your amp without a bunch of pedals to dance around on. :lol: You may like pedals and gadgets but my goal to to have as little as possible in my signal chain. That way I have as pure of sound possible and I don't have a complicated rig that takes forever to troubleshoot if there's a funny noise or other issues you can run into at a gig. During my quest for the right amp that sounds amazing on it's own merit without any outside assistance I found the Recto line to be among the best. FX and pedals can compliment the tone but aren't a must to make them acceptable like many other brands.
Mesa amps are some of the most sensitive amps in respect to technique. I can play a Recto and sound like Hetfield where someone else can pick up the same guitar and without touching any knobs sound like Ritchie Blackmore. That is what makes Mesa's so cool. They will respond to your mood and playing.

Mesa is going to tell you to use their tubes, I won't use them, they want too much, I can get the tubes I want for a cheaper price., the factory is going to recommend you not to use KT88's and frankly I don't care what the say, it's my amp.

Bob from Eurotubes puts different tubes in amps to get the most tone out of them, same thing I do and many other players do. It's not his opinion since he is actually testing them in real playing situations, it's a fact. Bob isn't going to recommend and sell something for your amp if it didn't work, believe it. I have used KT88's and KT66's in my dual recto for a year now, no problems at all, zero. I have KT88's in my triple, no problems at all, none. IMO they sound way way better than 6L6's, headroom is nice, tone is fat and punchy and will crush you, nos pre's don't hurt either. Yes I play metal.

Bob Pletka is a good dude, he knows what he is doing, use 6L6, EL34 or KT88/66, depends on what you want and like, if I could, I would use KT88's in my Mark III Coliseum, but they won't fit on the end where the transformer is because it's too BIG!

KT88/66's are a bit pricey but well worth it IMO.

Thanks for the replies....

I agree that the orange channel does hold some of the best tones. I was jammin for a little while trying to dial in a nice tone and was switching back and forth through both channels. At one point I switched to the orange and it was crushing, but then I turned some knobs and now I can't find it again.

As for the rest of my gear:

Jackson DKMGT, string thru, Nice set-up, super thin neck, Dimebucker in the bridge and 59' in the neck. I wouldn't be opposed to changing it up though, I am starting to get convinced that the dime in the bridge is making alot of these amps sound similar. Its a very hot aggressive pickup and it's noisy.

I am using a Maxon OD808 as a boost, gain at just above minimum, tone at 12:00, and balance just below max.

I was supposed to get a Decimator g string with the amp but it didnt show, so it should be hear soon.

For the last couple days I have been giving my 1960A a facelift. I took it completely apart, wiped the dust off the speakers, reinstalled them and put a little rtv n the bolt threads to keep them from loosening up. I then upgraded the wires with some 14guage, ran a bead of silicon around the baffle, re drilled the jack because the corners were breaking off, and I have some metal handles from Scumback on the way.

I am also anxiously waiting on my 7 string to get back from being set-up and getting a duncan distortion installed.

I am new to 7 strings but am looking forward to getting to know it.

So far (without really getting to crank it) my best tones have come from the red channel, gain about 3:00 ( +boost), treble and mids just below noon, bass between noon and 3:00 and very little presence.
But as you crank it you pretty much have to redial it because the mids really start to kick in with volume, it seems.

I am also really liking the tube rectifiers more than the diodes. Although they make noise when you turn that switch on, just a slight ringing.
I am also hearing a bit of transformer hum but its not extreme, Is this normal?

I'm thinking tubes could be a good investment but I really think the best and cheapest mod right now would be jst a bias mod and get it biased. Although I think that the EL34's are actually suppose to bias out better than 6L6's in the stock settings.

On another note: Is there a reason for the pilot lights changing colors?

Does it determine a year or revision?

Mine is Blue, but I have seen red as well

My serial# is 9388 if that makes a difference

The color doesn't mean anything, you can buy different jewel colors from Mesa, I change colors all the time, red, blue, green, purple and amber. The jewels screw out easy.

Sounds like you have revision G.

Check out the Authorized Boogie post in this thread about KT88's in a Recto and how they have caused damage to the amp. So take note of everyone posting about running these tubes and run fast and far if they ever post in the classifieds section. :lol:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=66014

ryjan said:
Check out the Authorized Boogie post in this thread about KT88's in a Recto and how they have caused damage to the amp. So take note of everyone posting about running these tubes and run fast and far if they ever post in the classifieds section. :lol:

This has nothing to do with using our tubes - use what you like, as long as the current draw is the correct rating. But I kid you not - KT88's WILL damage your amp, as the transformer was not designed for the needs of a KT88. Period. It has nothing to do with OUR preference - but from a tech standpoint, who knows the design of our transformers and the requirements of a KT88 - we highly recommend not using KT88's in a recto. Of course, you're free to do what you want!

Authorized Boogie said:
ryjan said:

This has nothing to do with using our tubes - use what you like, as long as the current draw is the correct rating. But I kid you not - KT88's WILL damage your amp, as the transformer was not designed for the needs of a KT88. Period. It has nothing to do with OUR preference - but from a tech standpoint, who knows the design of our transformers and the requirements of a KT88 - we highly recommend not using KT88's in a recto. Of course, you're free to do what you want!

I think a set a 6L6's lies ahead for me, although these EL34's are still really kicking ***.

Latest posts

Back