Bought a Mark VII!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I fixed the caster. I put them on while in the guitar store where a dress shirt from work. Yes, a Timeline and Big Sky are on my pedal board.

I don't know why MESA does not offer the EVM-12L as an optional speaker in their cabinets. It fits the Mark-series so well.

The JP2C is a power house IMHO. There is just something with the delivery of cords and how single notes sound. That amp is unique and I cannot get the same effect with the Mark VII.
The guy that I had purchased the MKVII from back in April/May (he had it about 6 weeks) decided to sell his JP-2C last week so I purchased it from him since it was only about six months old and still looked brand new.

The JP-2C definitely has a killer tone.

I think it might have a slightly thicker tone than the MKVII and a little less compressed (I didn't feel the MKVII sounded compressed but the JP-2C just sounds a little more open to me right now).

The clean is really great on the JP-2C (a thick clean tone) and I might like it better than the clean on the MKVII which I thought sounded pretty nice as well.

I've only played on the JP-2C for about an hour here and there so time will tell if I like it more than the MKVII.

I don't see myself getting rid of either amp since they both have their place for different tonal options.

Both are great amps. Mark VII should be shipped with the STR445 power tubes. Not sure what you have in the JP2C power tube wise. The power tubes will have a huge influence on the JP2C character more than I expected. What power tubes are in your JP2C? What is in the Mark VII? Please list the STR # printed on the glass and bias color printed on the label that is placed on the base of the tube. I am just curious.

Both are great amps. Mark VII should be shipped with the STR445 power tubes. Not sure what you have in the JP2C power tube wise. The power tubes will have a huge influence on the JP2C character more than I expected. What power tubes are in your JP2C? What is in the Mark VII? Please list the STR # printed on the glass and bias color printed on the label that is placed on the base of the tube. I am just curious.
The JP-2C has STR443 GRN in the amp.

It will take me longer to figure out what the STR is for the MKVII (I'll update here once I was able to get to the back of the amp).

An interesting find on the JP-2C is an issue with replacing the stock power tubes.

I am not able to place other Mesa Boogie 6L6's in there since it looks like the metal ring that helps to keep the power tubes in place is preventing other tubes to fit in the power tube socket.

The amp will not be leaving my place so I might just have to remove the metal rings.

I'll spend some time with it tomorrow during the day so I can see back there more.

Mark VII is a fairly new amp, those ship with the STR445 tubes. Mine came stock with the green bias color rating. I did by some replacement tubes, took 3 months to get them. They shipped me yellows. I tried them in the Mark VII and actually like them a bit more than the greens. Both sound great but that little extra headroom improves the note definition when running the higher gain modes. Cleans will be superb regardless of the bias color.

What I am running in my JP2C are the Mesa STR415 (NOS Sylvania 6L6GC tubes). Many in the JP2C forums who also have the original IIC+ have tried the STR415 in the JP2C. They say it was the grail tone for that amp. The STR448 tubes in green or gray bias color will get you very close to the STR415 tube characteristics. I ran the JP2C with the STR448 (gray) and the STR415 (these will always test as green based on the person at Mesa I contacted to get them). I like both tubes, hard to decide which I like better. the STR448 had a bit more air to the tone.

You do not need to remove the bear claw spring. They are a standard size and not specific to any tube base. Sure, the STR443 had a step in diameter on the base. Other Mesa tubes do not have the stepped base. They will still fit in the sockets and work with the same claw. Just bend the claws out a bit to remove the tubes. You will have to wiggle the tube to work it free from the socket while pulling the tube down away from the socket. Do not use too much force your you will end up slamming the tube into the head shell. I have done that many times already but lucky not to break any tubes yet. Pinch in the bare claw spring just a bit before installing other tubes. Too much and the tubes will be more difficult to get in. You can run any of the Mesa 6L6GC tubes in either amp. You may find you like one set of tubes in the JP2C and a different set of tubes in the Mark VII. It is all good.

Mark VII is a fairly new amp, those ship with the STR445 tubes. Mine came stock with the green bias color rating. I did by some replacement tubes, took 3 months to get them. They shipped me yellows. I tried them in the Mark VII and actually like them a bit more than the greens. Both sound great but that little extra headroom improves the note definition when running the higher gain modes. Cleans will be superb regardless of the bias color.

What I am running in my JP2C are the Mesa STR415 (NOS Sylvania 6L6GC tubes). Many in the JP2C forums who also have the original IIC+ have tried the STR415 in the JP2C. They say it was the grail tone for that amp. The STR448 tubes in green or gray bias color will get you very close to the STR415 tube characteristics. I ran the JP2C with the STR448 (gray) and the STR415 (these will always test as green based on the person at Mesa I contacted to get them). I like both tubes, hard to decide which I like better. the STR448 had a bit more air to the tone.

You do not need to remove the bear claw spring. They are a standard size and not specific to any tube base. Sure, the STR443 had a step in diameter on the base. Other Mesa tubes do not have the stepped base. They will still fit in the sockets and work with the same claw. Just bend the claws out a bit to remove the tubes. You will have to wiggle the tube to work it free from the socket while pulling the tube down away from the socket. Do not use too much force your you will end up slamming the tube into the head shell. I have done that many times already but lucky not to break any tubes yet. Pinch in the bare claw spring just a bit before installing other tubes. Too much and the tubes will be more difficult to get in. You can run any of the Mesa 6L6GC tubes in either amp. You may find you like one set of tubes in the JP2C and a different set of tubes in the Mark VII. It is all good.

I found just placing the amp upside down made it easy to remove/install the power tubes.

I tried different versions of the STR440 (Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Grey, and combinations of each pair), and I didn't notice much of a change between each of them (there was very slight changes but not enough to warrant keeping certain ones).

Currently, I'm using the Yellow ones and I'll return the original ones after a few more days to see if I really notice a different after an extended period of time.

I definitely like the JP-2C but I like the MKVII just as much (just a different flavor).

If I could only purchase two amps of one of them, then I would choose the MKVII, since it has more tonal options, and I would probably set up both MKVII's where I could switch between one set to MKIV and the other to IIC (and a different Crunch on both).

I wish Mesa Boogie would have made the MKVII an amp a custom order amp where "you" could choose what modes you could have on each channel.

For example:

I would have chosen a Channel 1 to have cleans like the Mark V, a Channel 2 to have the MKIV, and Channel 3 to have the IIC.

I like the Crunch and I think it is a big improvement over the previous versions of it on the other Mark's (they could place it on Channel 2 or 3).

A global master volume and the effects send/return volumes would have been nice to have on the amp as well.

Unfortunately, a custom version is not possible but I did wonder if a Mesa amp tech could swap out Channel 2 with a Channel 3 from another MKVII.

In the near future, if a swapping of channels is not possible, then I'm thinking a second MKVII will need to be purchased, so I can set up a MKIV on one amp and the IIC on the other amp where I switch between them.

I'll need to look into some true bypass amp switchers once I get a second MKVII.

If you get a second Mark VII, get the Mesa Switch track and another cab if you only have one. Run them in stereo. I am doing that with two Badlanders, have also run my RA100 in stereo. Since these do not have midi, it becomes a pedal fest if you need to change channels. I normally set up the gain the way I like it and just roll back on the guitar volume for adjustments in character down to a clean sound without loosing much volume.

However, the Mark VII has a midi controller built in. Same with the JP2C and the TC series. The experiment that works and should be outlined in the manual, daisy chaining. I have done this with the TC100 and TC50 using only one footswitch, set the toggles the same before powering up. Keep the amp with the footswitch on Channel 0, and set the other one to any other channel. Connect a midi cable from the midi-thru of the amp with the foot switch and midi-in (amp without footswitch). Power up the amp without the footswitch first, then the one with the footswitch.

Both amps of the same type will have the same midi commands and functions. Channels on both amp will be controlled by the one footswitch. This includes reverb, FX and other selectable features like GEQ. The FX can be a single stereo unit, just keep the left and right channels to the respective amps. Now that becomes something very interesting. Nothing like running a stereo rig.

You could probably make use of the daisy chain method using a HeadTrack and one cabinet. It will cut back on number of footswitches in use or there is also and external midi controller that could be used.

Too bad the modes are not midi features. The only amp that has a voicing mode that can be stored with a midi save is the shred on the JP2C. I did not read through the entire midi features of the Mark VII so not sure if the modes can be saved with a program or not. Probably not.

And I love it! Feels like this is The One for me.

Channel options work great for me, basically sticking with Clean, Crunch, and IIC+ mode. I usually keep the eq off but it really sculpts the sound well when it is in use.

This is the best IIC+ mode I have experienced. I am feeling my attachment to my actual IIC+ loosen up a lot.

To me, this is exactly what I wanted: effectively a JP2C with a crunch channel instead of two lead channels.

My VII is a combo and I have to say, this is the first combo I have bought that I didn't immediately want to run through a 4x12. The enclosure is smaller than the V:90’s but it sounds MASSIVE, especially in IIC+ mode.

This thing really does boogie.

Also, +1 to the requests for a dedicated Mark VII channel, please.
You have had the Mark VII for some time now. Still finding it to be the one?

The JP2C is a power house IMHO. There is just something with the delivery of cords and how single notes sound. That amp is unique and I cannot get the same effect with the Mark VII.
I guess it depends the type of music you play. I owned one of the original custom JP2Cs before the Gibson acquisition and I totally hated it. It did not cut in the way I expected it,— and felt too squishy in Comparison to my real,IIC+s. I play mostly R&B, Pop, Rock — no heavy stuff like metal or punk rock. I couldn’t get rid of the JP2C fast enough

I guess it depends the type of music you play. I owned one of the original custom JP2Cs before the Gibson acquisition and I totally hated it. It did not cut in the way I expected it,— and felt too squishy in Comparison to my real,IIC+s. I play mostly R&B, Pop, Rock — no heavy stuff like metal or punk rock. I couldn’t get rid of the JP2C fast enough

I can see that. So many have dropped the JP2C. Most have the real deal so I can see that being favored over the reissue. Are your IIC+ (s) HRG models? What preamp tubes and power tubes are in them? (Just out of curiosity)

The STR440 and even the STR443 just did not deliver the goods. It would hide in the mix than stand out. The STR448 was one of the better sounding tubes I have tried. The STR415 were what was needed to really wake up the JP2C.

If you disliked the JP2C, I would assume you would not favor the Mark VII either. I find its character in the IIC+ and IV modes to be on par with the JP2C (loaded with STR415 tubes) but with a little less note detail. I play mostly Pink Floyd style of music, Classic Rock like Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Scorpions, BOC, and Deep Purple. I can get into the heavy stuff too but not my main focus.

I had purchased the MKVII a few months ago and I had found the MKVII to be an extremely loud amp and needed to be turned up to sound good, otherwise, it had felt/sounded like the tone was being choked.

Initially, I thought the MKVII was too loud for home office playing and I was thinking about selling it.

However, I have a Fryette PS-100 that made my Road King sound killer so I tried it with the MKVII.

The MKVII sounded killer through the PS-100 so I decided to purchase a second MKVII and started to place my other Mark’s up for sale.

I have not played the MKVII in a band setting but it sounds the best to me out of all the other Mark’s that I have owned (and own).

A buddy of mine is selling off all of his Mark’s in order to purchase another MKVII (he is a performing/touring/recording artist).

I have never owned a JP2C so I am not able to provide a comparison.
Can you share what your settings are for channel 2 and 3? I just got my MVII and run it through a Fryette PS-2A and if the volume on the MVII is at 9-noon, when the gain knob or treble knob goes past noon the amp turns into a squealy mess. I do not have this issue with JP2C. Having a real hard time dialing in the gain to what I want. I do get the same issue with JP2C if I use the shred switch. It's almost as if the MVII has the Shred switch built into these 2 channels. I feel I should be able to match the settings are both amps but I can't get anywhere near the JP2C settings.

If I run the amp without the PS-2A, I can crank the treble or gain but the volume must remain pretty low because this amp is loud as hell.

Edit: So it seems the more gain goes up the more treble must come down. starting to find the happy balance. Doesn't seem to work like the JP2C does.

Last edited:
The Presence control on the Mark VII is different than the V. It seems to do a lot more than it did on the V. Maybe some of the hot overtones you get on the JP2C SHRED are somehow baked into the Presence control on the VII. I’m just speculating as I have no real idea (never owned or played a JP2C). Im

I may be able to get similar character out of the Mark VII as I can with the JP2C, they are not the same amp. Sure the gain stage topography is the standard Mark circuit when using CH3 (excluding the IIB mode).

Tone stack is probably different than that of the JP. With the JP I can push the midrange to get more grit/grind. The Mark VII just does not behave that way. In some ways I would think the power section has more to do with the overall tone. That is true, but the preamp should be in the same ballpark but have not poked around the circuit to confirm as I do not have schematics for either of the amps in question. I found I need to back off on the treble and presence a bit to compensate for the overall brightness. Yes, the Mark VII in 90W is loud at the 9am volume setting. The volume taper on the JP2C is quite different. 9am on the Mark VII is about the same as the JP2C volume set to noon. I would assume that the channel volume control having a double ganged pot has something to do with the loudness. Not sure what each pot connects too. I believe one is for pre FX loop volume and the other is for post FX loop volume. The VII is different than a traditional IIC circuit that is used with the JP2C. Not a bad thing really. Just imagine how loud it gets with the Standard 412 cab. It was too much for the small room I have my gear in. I can say the same would apply to the JP2C. I run the Vertical 212 to retain my hearing. Even that can get over the top in loudness.

45W mode is also loud too. You do get some dB reduction but not as much as you would think. Depending on how late in the evening or early in the morning, I may just run the amp at 25W. Since I have been running the BAD100 with the VII I keep that at 25W as well. When the two are in phase, it is more like a 50W power house.

The Mark VII volume relative to its position is very similar to the BAD-100. I have to keep it down near 9am as well as that amp can be loud too. There is still plenty of room on the volume control which is unlike the Mark III or Mark IV, once you have it set to #3, the amp is practically at full volume. Not sure where that sits on the clock scale. At #4 that is it, beyond that number it just brings in more compression and will not get any louder. I have not explored the Mark VII to find out where it begins to level off and compress like the III or IV did.

The two clean modes will be lower in volume than crunch, VII or CH3. It is something to figure out and how to adapt to it. There is reason to my madness, I will find out sometime around Christmas or hopefully before New Years when the 4x10 cab arrives. Curious how that will sound. I bought two of them so I can run a full mini-stack or use one cab with the Mark VII and the other with the JP2C or BAD100. My sales rep at SW said when Mesa came in to demo the Mark VII they also brought with them the 4x10 cab and ran it with the JP2C. He said it sounded really good. Is it louder than the 212? Not sure, but will find out once I get my hands on them.

Can you share what your settings are for channel 2 and 3? I just got my MVII and run it through a Fryette PS-2A and if the volume on the MVII is at 9-noon, when the gain knob or treble knob goes past noon the amp turns into a squealy mess. I do not have this issue with JP2C. Having a real hard time dialing in the gain to what I want. I do get the same issue with JP2C if I use the shred switch. It's almost as if the MVII has the Shred switch built into these 2 channels. I feel I should be able to match the settings are both amps but I can't get anywhere near the JP2C settings.

If I run the amp without the PS-2A, I can crank the treble or gain but the volume must remain pretty low because this amp is loud as hell.

Edit: So it seems the more gain goes up the more treble must come down. starting to find the happy balance. Doesn't seem to work like the JP2C does.
I see you have a IIB in your signature. How does the IIB mode on the Mark VII compare to the real deal? Just curious.

I see you have a IIB in your signature. How does the IIB mode on the Mark VII compare to the real deal? Just curious.
I haven’t had a chance to match them up yet. Too busy trying to figure out why it’s squeals like crazy when gain and treble go above 1 o’clock. Spent hours swapping all tubes last night, nothing helped. Watched youtube videos to see what high gain guys had their amps at and they were well above what I am trying to do with no squeals.

Edit: So I have removed the Fryette from the equation and the squeals are gone and I can do whatever I want with gain/trble. I thought I had already done this and had the same results but maybe I didn't. Seems the VII and the PS2A aren't playing nice together. The VII by itself sounds great but my amps and cabs are running through an amp/cab switcher so need to figure something out.

Last edited:
Power soak units will place a stress on the power tubes, that is a given. I had no issue pushing the Mark V90 to is max on a Rivera Rock Crusher but that is a different unit than the Fryette. I have not used the power soak as I found a better way for recording than using the rock crusher.

If the amp runs good without issues when not using the Fryette PS-2, I doubt it is the tubes (preamp or power) that is the issue. More or less, the format Mesa used with the Simul-Class design could be the culprit. Much different than the Mark V90. As for the presence controls, I would assume they are different as well. Not sure I can be of any help with using a power brake on the amp.

Back