Just A/Bed a 2010 REBORN, 3 Channel Recto, and Roadster!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pivked up a guitar world mag, and looked at the 2010 recto add. I thought they advertisedit as the clean channel has been improved, along with some extra featurews (multiwatt etc). But no it does say that the other modes (moder, vintage..) has been improvedfrom what they learned through the years..

I am surprised to hear that the 2010 sound the same as the 3 channel rectos! Good i picked a racktifier ( which is also practical cause the amp case i have only fits mark V's lol so i can put it in the rack case and not pay fo another case!)

Anyone else tried the 2010 rectos?

I really have to disagree with the review posted here. We have a 2009 and 2010 dual rectifier here, and I can hear a substantial difference in channel 2 and 3. No ones mentioned the channel cloning... Before the 2010 revision, channel 2 modern and channel 3 vintage sounded horrible. You pretty much had to dedicate channel 2 to vintage and 3 to modern. With the 2010 model, whether you're in channel 2 or 3, vintage sounds the way it's supposed to and modern sounds the way it's supposed to. Now I can have two channels of vintage gain.

The EQ is more responsive/useable as well. The presence or treble doesn't get harsh, and you can actually dial away the bass in a pleasing way, whereas the 2009 dual still has a woofy-ness I can't get rid of.

I think it's a much better amp. Our store will likely do a video comparison of the 2009 and 2010 dual rec's while we still have them... then you can decide for yourself. Will it convert a recto-hater? Of course not, but it would be interesting to hear a two channel vs the new 2010.

To each his own.

HaggertysMusic said:
I really have to disagree with the review posted here. We have a 2009 and 2010 dual rectifier here, and I can hear a substantial difference in channel 2 and 3. No ones mentioned the channel cloning... Before the 2010 revision, channel 2 modern and channel 3 vintage sounded horrible. You pretty much had to dedicate channel 2 to vintage and 3 to modern. With the 2010 model, whether you're in channel 2 or 3, vintage sounds the way it's supposed to and modern sounds the way it's supposed to. Now I can have two channels of vintage gain.

The EQ is more responsive/useable as well. The presence or treble doesn't get harsh, and you can actually dial away the bass in a pleasing way, whereas the 2009 dual still has a woofy-ness I can't get rid of.

I think it's a much better amp. Our store will likely do a video comparison of the 2009 and 2010 dual rec's while we still have them... then you can decide for yourself. Will it convert a recto-hater? Of course not, but it would be interesting to hear a two channel vs the new 2010.

To each his own.

Please use a good recorder. A standard cam corder type mic set-up will probably not do the amps or your efforts justice.

HaggertysMusic said:
No ones mentioned the channel cloning... Before the 2010 revision, channel 2 modern and channel 3 vintage sounded horrible. You pretty much had to dedicate channel 2 to vintage and 3 to modern. With the 2010 model, whether you're in channel 2 or 3, vintage sounds the way it's supposed to and modern sounds the way it's supposed to. Now I can have two channels of vintage gain.

Oooo, now THAT makes me want to try the new 2010! :p

jtroska said:
HaggertysMusic said:
No ones mentioned the channel cloning... Before the 2010 revision, channel 2 modern and channel 3 vintage sounded horrible. You pretty much had to dedicate channel 2 to vintage and 3 to modern. With the 2010 model, whether you're in channel 2 or 3, vintage sounds the way it's supposed to and modern sounds the way it's supposed to. Now I can have two channels of vintage gain.

Oooo, now THAT makes me want to try the new 2010! :p

That is cool, vintage and more vintage!

jtroska said:
That is cool, vintage and more vintage!

Mesa REALLY should change the name of that mode on all the Rectos to something more aesthetically pleasing like "Hot-Rodded" or "Modded" or "Saturated" or maybe "Hi-Gain" or even "Brown"...cuz I have NEVER heard any vintage amp EVER come close to that "vintage orange" mode; thats for **** sure! lol

HaggertysMusic said:

To each his own.

HaggertsMusic: How do you find the current Roadster compares to the 2009 Dual Rectifier? Does it have the same problem you describe where Channel 2 'Modern' and Channel 3 'Vintage sound "horrible"?

If so, does anybody think the Roadsters will eventually get the 2010 "Reborn" sound update? Or is the Roadster already fine as-is.

I played a Roadster briefly in a store and it may just be the amp for me. But I still have to go in and give it a thorough examintion--Listening for things like HaggertsMusic pointed out.

I may be old and skeptical, but I usually expect someone with retail ties to say the next new thing is better and we need to buy it. Ask anyone working in any music store, and the 2010 is a must have. I suspect that the conservative Boogie approach will be to make minimal tone changes and toss a few features in the salad. They will not screw up the Rectifier tone.

Heritage Softail said:
I may be old and skeptical, but I usually expect someone with retail ties to say the next new thing is better and we need to buy it.

Probably why we have not seen any side by side vids from them. :wink:

jtroska said:
HaggertsMusic: How do you find the current Roadster compares to the 2009 Dual Rectifier? Does it have the same problem you describe where Channel 2 'Modern' and Channel 3 'Vintage sound "horrible"?

If so, does anybody think the Roadsters will eventually get the 2010 "Reborn" sound update? Or is the Roadster already fine as-is.

I played a Roadster briefly in a store and it may just be the amp for me. But I still have to go in and give it a thorough examintion--Listening for things like HaggertsMusic pointed out.

On a Roadster (Road King II in my case), I think ch3 modern and ch4 vintage both sound great. However, I rarely use vintage anyway, but I leave ch3 on modern mode most of the time (dialed in a lot differently than my channel 4 modern) and I like it a lot.

fluff191 said:
Probably why we have not seen any side by side vids from them. :wink:
I'm sorry we haven't made any progress on getting a video out there. We are a very small store and I have a million things on my plate. I just got off the phone with the store owner (his son does professional video) and it looks like we will get something going this month. Just please give me time... if we do a video we will do it right, and that takes time.

Heritage Softail said:
I may be old and skeptical, but I usually expect someone with retail ties to say the next new thing is better and we need to buy it. Ask anyone working in any music store, and the 2010 is a must have. I suspect that the conservative Boogie approach will be to make minimal tone changes and toss a few features in the salad. They will not screw up the Rectifier tone.

The skepticism is well founded. There's no doubt I have an interest in selling amplifiers, but I would rather have long-term customers over a short-term sale any day, and you don't get that by feeding people what they want to hear. The bottom line is, if we get a video out there and show the differences, then you can make an informed decision yourself on whether there is a big enough difference to warrant a sale or not.

HaggertysMusic said:
I'm sorry we haven't made any progress on getting a video out there. We are a very small store and I have a million things on my plate. I just got off the phone with the store owner (his son does professional video) and it looks like we will get something going this month. Just please give me time... if we do a video we will do it right, and that takes time.

Absolutely. Take your time!

Ok. Looks like we're going to film this week. Any suggestions on how to make the comparisons? Should we compare each amplifier dialed in the same to show the differences?

I'm not sure how good the video will be, but the audio will run into pro tools and be pristine.

yes move thru the channels and modes with same settings to view potential differences and if you can play a variety of styles for each sound so that no one says "can i hear a(blues rock metal jazz whatever) tone?" also if you happen to have a roadster or road king around that would be sweet too.

Thanks for the feedback. I think a Roadster comparison deserves it's own video. I'd like to keep this one strictly 2009 vs 2010 dual rec. If this video turns out well, I see no reason why we couldn't do a roadster vs dual rec.

It's our goal to try and release one video per week. Everybody else does the videos with in depth feature explanations and they spend 10 minutes talking and 5 seconds playing. Personally, those kinds of videos drive me nuts... but I understand their place. I think it would be cool to feature an amp each week and showcase one tone. I.E. Here's a Transatlantic, and this is how you make it sound like Day Tripper. Play the tone, show the settings, and explain how you can get there.

Thanks man I agree!
I HATE the demos on youtube because of the 4 minute talking about BS. I literally yell at my monitor. Just shut up and play the **** thing!
lol.

HaggertysMusic said:
Ok. Looks like we're going to film this week. Any suggestions on how to make the comparisons? Should we compare each amplifier dialed in the same to show the differences?

I'm not sure how good the video will be, but the audio will run into pro tools and be pristine.

I always thought dialling in settings for each knob isn't always fair. Personally, I reckon you should try several good settings for each amp...

Latest posts

Back