Just A/Bed a 2010 REBORN, 3 Channel Recto, and Roadster!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Thought you guys would like to hear about my findings, since the new models seem to be hard to find so far.

To start, I'd like to say that I am well spoken and educated in the world of the Rectifier. I've been through a lot of them...early 2 channel, 3 channel, Roadster...I get these amps, and I love them!

I just got back from spending 2 hours at my local shop, where they have a NEW 2010 3 channel Triple, and a regular 3 channel triple (also recent, but not the new model). I also threw a Roadster in the mix to really get a feel for the whole line.

Comparison was with the same guitar, same cable, same cab (Boogie loaded w/ V30s)...all heads are completely new and stock. NO BOOSTS...guitar straight into amp.

I'd also like to mention that I've been reading A LOT of hype about these amps...many people commenting how these new ones completely trump the old model. GAS was getting a hold of me, so I had to go in and try the amps...see what everything was about.

First, let's talk about the Regular Rectifiers.

I'm sorry to say, but I really feel like it's a bunch of internet hype.

I spent a long time with the amps, and I can honestly say that the gain channels were little to no different. I dialed both amps in with the EXACT same settings, and they sounded identical...they both sounded great! If there was ANY difference, the NEW revision has a tiny bit less lows, and a tiny bit more highs...the older one sounded just a tiny bit 'Bigger' because of this. I want to make very clear though...****THESE DIFFERENCES WERE LITTLE TO NOTHING....IF I WASN'T GOING IN THERE TO PICK THINGS APART ON THE SMALLEST LEVEL, I WOULD JUST SAY THEY ARE IDENTICAL*****

The new revision, does however, have a better clean channel...it's not as good as the Roadster, but it is a nice clean channel. The new features, such as wattage and rectification per channel as also cool additions.

On to the Roadster

So, for those saying the the new Rectos are like a Roadster...feature wise, yes...tonewise, DEFINITELY NOT.

From owning all these amps, I can easily say the Roadster is a DIFFERENT RECTIFIER...it has less compression, a slightly clearer tone, and is darker. It makes for a thicker and more grinding tone. It's menacing, but in a different way...I personally find it to be bigger and more aggressive, but I like this darker tone. If you're into the all out bright, aggressive, and quick metal tone, you'd like the regular rectifier models MUCH better.

So, in summary

-If you don't like the rectifier sound, don't expect the 2010 Rectos to change that!
-The 2010 REBORN Rectifiers sound like the regular 3 channels, but have some of the features of the Roadster and Road King (power scaling, rectification), and have a better clean channel. If you like the more aggressive, bright, and quick rectifier sound (that of the regular 3 channel models), but want some of the additional features (versatility), and a better clean, this amp is for you!
-If you already have a 3 channel recto, don't need the additional features, or are buying used, don't worry about the new model. The tone is the same...if you can live without the extra toys and better clean, you're not missing anything.
-If you want a different recto...one that is slightly less compressed, more open, and darker, the Roadster is for you. It IS NOT the same as the regular recto...NOT AT ALL!!!!! (you have no idea how much I feel like I should stress this). It is its own amp, with some really cool features.

All together, I think Mesa made a good move with these amps. Many people have been jumping over to the Roadster for the additional features, thinking they will sound like their old rectifier did. THEY DON'T. Like I said before, the Roadster is a whole different gain all together. BUT, this 2010 Reborn version fills that gap....***This amp is for those that want the tone of their 3 channel models, with nearly all the features of a Roadster***

Here's the step latter of the Mesa Recto series...like I said...this new models really filled a necessary hole!

-Regular 3 Channel Recto: Bright and aggressive tone, less features...All out metal beast
-2010 Reborn 3 Channel Recto: Same tone as above, but with more features...makes for a more versatile amp
-Roadster: A 4 channel amp, with HUGE versatility, and a different (darker, more open, clearer) Rectifier tone
-Road King: A 4 channel amp, even more versatile, and capable of both tones (Roadster and 3 channel) IMO.

Enjoy...and please put yourself at ease for buying a new amp. I know I'm happy that I don't have to bother...if you like your 3 channel, and don't need the extra goodies, your set. No need to worry :wink:

Eric

Great review! And thank the good lord someone with a tuned ear said they werent that special. Cause if you had said they were amazing blah blah blah then I would A) Have to hate you because B) I would have to get one. :lol:

I A/B the new and old Recto's a couple weeks agoand thought there was a huge difference. I was going to go back with my buddy and show him but when I called they said that the tubes were blown in the 2010 model. Apparently their sales guy had set the switch to EL34 with 6l6's in it and had been running it like that for 3 weeks. :cry: That explains why they sounded different.

To the top...a lot of threads seem to be coming up asking this question...your answer is here :wink:

I'm not suprised. I A/B'd my Revision F against a newish Triple rec (not the 2010) and didn't find this big difference people talk about. My 2 channel was slightly smoother and a touch more raw, but not enough difference that would cause me to sell a 3channel and source a 2 channel.

I am not a supporter of the layout change on the new rectifiers. I didn't think that they needed the features of the Roadster. If you want all that stuff, why not just buy a Roadster.

What can I say..... I'm a 2 channel guy. :wink:

Nice review. Mesa seems to add just enough to make one think.... Hmmm....
Well, for the moment my old used Solo 50 REC sounds paid for. That is a sweet tone. 8)

rjf said:
I'm not suprised. I A/B'd my Revision F against a newish Triple rec (not the 2010) and didn't find this big difference people talk about. My 2 channel was slightly smoother and a touch more raw, but not enough difference that would cause me to sell a 3channel and source a 2 channel.

I am not a supporter of the layout change on the new rectifiers. I didn't think that they needed the features of the Roadster. If you want all that stuff, why not just buy a Roadster.

What can I say..... I'm a 2 channel guy. :wink:

Cause the voicings are different...

Did you find the tone on the roadster had a more smooth, sustained lead tone??? I have heard that the lead tone on the roadster is up there with the mark IV whereas the normal recs (i find) have bad sustain.

Hey nice review Eric...appreciate it.

I have a question since I've not really tested the Roadster out. I have a Road King II head. You said the Road King II head kinda gets both tones (normal DR and Roadster tones)...could you elaborate more please?

And yes, I have to agree the clean tones on the RKII/Roadster do kick some serious butt...I love the Tweed mode and Fat mode.

Thanks for the review, but like I said in a previous post I would much rather see a comparison between a older 3 channel dual and a newer 3 channel dual, the triples were already a tight amp in the lower end due to the bigger transformer. i think we might see a bigger difference in the duals.

Thanks for the review. I love the 2 channel Rectos and I was thinking about buying a new one but it sounds like they are pretty much a 3 channel Recto with some Roadster options. I do think it's cool that they added all of those features without changing the price even if the tones are the same.

Very good and thorough review, thanks for that!

BTW, one huge improvement on the 2010 rectos is the fx loop. It is now serial which in itself is worth a lot. :)

I LOVE the lead tones on the my Roadster...I kick it a bit with an overdrive per my preference, but it is so pleasant and smooth it's hard to believe...really easy to play too. I had a Mark IV...sold them BOTH, and now just run the Roadster alone, because I like how it sounds so much!

As for the Roadking, what I meant is that all the options (especially progressive linkage) allow for a bit more versatility. It seems to sit a bit between a 2 channel and a Roadster...just slightly brighter than a Roadster in other words. This makes it easier to get to the brighter, thrash-ier sound of a regular recto.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I LOVE the lead tones on the my Roadster...I kick it a bit with an overdrive per my preference, but it is so pleasant and smooth it's hard to believe...really easy to play too. I had a Mark IV...sold them BOTH, and now just run the Roadster alone, because I like how it sounds so much!

As for the Roadking, what I meant is that all the options (especially progressive linkage) allow for a bit more versatility. It seems to sit a bit between a 2 channel and a Roadster...just slightly brighter than a Roadster in other words. This makes it easier to get to the brighter, thrash-ier sound of a regular recto.
Your take on the Roadster makes me want to play one again, that's for sure. I demoed one at a GC at very low volumes and while I could tell the voicing was "refined", I didn't think it was that different from my 3 channel. I need to go back and test it out in the amp room where I can really open it up. Hopefully making a trip back to the Twin Cities soon to properly demo a Roadster, 2010 Recto, and Mark V (now that I've been reading the manual and know how to set it up properly.)

I have a feeling that many people who are saying the V doesn't compare to previous Marks are setting it up the wrong way. Just my opinion.

Open up the Roadster...at low volumes, I'm not surprised they sounded similar. As you turn up though, the Roadster doesn't get the harsh aspect the 3 channels have.

Also, if you REALLY want to hear what the Roadster is all about, you need to drop some Tung Sol EL-34Bs in there ;)

Eric

Thanks!! My GAS for a Roadster went up after reading this post. I guess its a good thing, ha

I am thinking of getting a Roadster as my next amp purchase, as it has the characteristics I like in the dirty channel.

But I have to admit that gigantic footswitch is a huge turn off. I mean it would be great if you suddenly found yourself in a home-run derby and didn't have a bat, but other than that I have a hard time with it as I don't even use the loop or
boost function.

I almost want to get the new Recto just for the footswitch!!!

Last nght i was able to play both too. I agree with your review 100%. I was playing a brand new outta-da-box 2010 and a used early 3ch. You could tell the 2010 wasnt broke in yet but the sounded identicle.

glassjaw7 said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:

Your take on the Roadster makes me want to play one again, that's for sure. I demoed one at a GC at very low volumes and while I could tell the voicing was "refined", I didn't think it was that different from my 3 channel. I need to go back and test it out in the amp room where I can really open it up. Hopefully making a trip back to the Twin Cities soon to properly demo a Roadster, 2010 Recto, and Mark V (now that I've been reading the manual and know how to set it up properly.)

I have a feeling that many people who are saying the V doesn't compare to previous Marks are setting it up the wrong way. Just my opinion.

When you demo it try it with the loop hard bypassed and buckle up :wink:

Back