Just A/Bed a 2010 REBORN, 3 Channel Recto, and Roadster!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a chance to try them out yesterday. I A/B'd a 2009 and 2010 Triple. There's a difference, though slight. I liked the 2010 a little more, probably just because it hadn't been molested by 8975965 teenagers jamming on the latest Fall Out Boy licks for over a year like the 2009 had. The cleans were good, a little different. It's been a LONG time since I owned a 3 channel model, but I found that immediately liked Channel 2 Modern the best for heavy rhythm. That being said, I think my 2 channels smoked them all. As usual, YMMV.

I wouldn't buy one as a primary amp, but I could also make due and dial it in good if I was playing a festival and they had these as the backline. I have a Roadster coming on Tuesday, so I'm curious to see how it holds up versus my 2 channels.

2010 Reborn Dual Rec for sale...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46426&p=333907#p333907

Some very important things to know with the new multi watt rectifier. I have both the slightly older 3 channel TR and new mult watt TR. With the 2010 reborn:

Channel switching is dead silent now!! No little pops.
There is a cooling fan mounted on the amp
Series effects loop is great
There is a new cover/grill protecting the tubes on the back, can't stick your hand in, have to remove it first
New foot switch has blue led for loop button, looks nice!!
Love the new jute face plate grill
It is a bit brighter in sound, but the tubes are brand new and need to be broken in, so we will see. Do think the older TR is a little heavier / deeper/ warmer, has a little more sizzle if you will, on the channel 3 modern.
Cleans are a little better and you don't have to crank the channel volume as much.
Output knob is less sensitive, more gradual increase

Just a few other things I have noticed!

I agree with Hagertysmusic on this one. Even though he is a retailer, I don't think his opinions on here have indicated in any way that he wants to push the newest product to make money. It's all relative to ones ear, but here is what we have noticed while tracking the new CD, and what I noticed when I A/B'd my triple rec with one of the new Dual recs I have. The other DR has Tung Sol EL-34b's in it.

To me, the sound IS different between the older and newer models. It is subtle, but definitely there, especially when recorded.
I have an older 3 channel Triple Rec and two new Dual Recto Reborns, and we are currently recording a new full-length cd using the new Rectos into my new cabs. Blended they sound absolutely huge. To me, and the recording engineer (Jamie King, who has recorded all of BTBam's records, and a ton of other bands) the sound of the new Rectifier is tighter than the older ones, and it sounds more like the 2 channel Voodoo modded Racktifier that he has in his studio. Maybe it has to do with mic'ing one V30 and one C90, or the 6L6/EL-34 combo, or both, but they sound massive, even without re-amping. Using the Modern mode on ch 3 for rhythms, and vintage mode on ch 2 for leads, and they sound great. I can't wait to share the tunes with you guys. And the CLEANS :shock: A lot better than when we tracked with the Triple Rec's. I a/b'd my triple with the 6L6 dual rec, one head per cab (same cabs), and spent a good amount of time with both set up the same way, and turned up to our normal concert levels. Here are the results that I posted in another thread:

First up was the new Multi-Watt Dual Rec against my 2005 3-channel Triple Rec.
I ran each head through their own cab (same spec), both on Bold, Diodes, clean on ch1, Vintage mode (what I use) on ch 2 and ch 3. Both have new Mesa 6L6GC power tubes and new Mesa (JJ) 12ax7 preamp tubes.

The new head seems to cut through a little better, having more of a high end bite, that isn't annoying or brittle. On ch 1, the clean on the DR was a little more 'chimey', with a little more depth and clean punch. Ch 2 was similar on both, but, the gain was a little smoother on the DR, as was the presence control's sound. Ch 3 had a more noticeable difference. On the DR, it wasn't overly brash or terribly trebly, like the TR could become if the Presence knob was raised above 10:00. I think I will be using Ch 3 more on the new heads, I like the sound of it. I typically stayed on Ch 2 of the TR, because it is noticeably warmer than Ch 3. Both sounded good, although I do prefer the Multi-Watt over the older Triple, but, I would still be happy with the TR if I weren't able to get these. It is a great head and sounded good through the c90/v30 x patterned cab.

For a review of the 6L6 vs EL-34's, go here and scroll to the bottom
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50422

The serial loop is also nice as well, for those of you who use effects in the loop. But, you can mod the older ones to that, so it's not a sole reason to buy a new one, just an added perk.

-AJH

Yep, the newer Rectifiers sound much improved. The gain smoother under the fingers and to the ear. I always ended up selling any rectifier I had owned. This one, I think I could live with and love. My next step is to do a Mark V and New Dual Rec shoot out. The new Mark V killed my previous Mark IV too.

I have no desire for a raodster......because I find the New Rectifier can do most of that the Roadster can do.....except some of the clean mode stuff. Hell....if I can gig with a single channel amp and a few pedals....doing three sets of covers...I can easily any day of the week cover a 3 set cover gig with the new Rectifier!!!

HaggertysMusic said:
I really have to disagree with the review posted here. We have a 2009 and 2010 dual rectifier here, and I can hear a substantial difference in channel 2 and 3. No ones mentioned the channel cloning... Before the 2010 revision, channel 2 modern and channel 3 vintage sounded horrible. You pretty much had to dedicate channel 2 to vintage and 3 to modern. With the 2010 model, whether you're in channel 2 or 3, vintage sounds the way it's supposed to and modern sounds the way it's supposed to. Now I can have two channels of vintage gain.

The EQ is more responsive/useable as well. The presence or treble doesn't get harsh, and you can actually dial away the bass in a pleasing way, whereas the 2009 dual still has a woofy-ness I can't get rid of.

I think it's a much better amp. Our store will likely do a video comparison of the 2009 and 2010 dual rec's while we still have them... then you can decide for yourself. Will it convert a recto-hater? Of course not, but it would be interesting to hear a two channel vs the new 2010.

To each his own.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I LOVE the lead tones on the my Roadster...I kick it a bit with an overdrive per my preference, but it is so pleasant and smooth it's hard to believe...really easy to play too. I had a Mark IV...sold them BOTH, and now just run the Roadster alone, because I like how it sounds so much!

As for the Roadking, what I meant is that all the options (especially progressive linkage) allow for a bit more versatility. It seems to sit a bit between a 2 channel and a Roadster...just slightly brighter than a Roadster in other words. This makes it easier to get to the brighter, thrash-ier sound of a regular recto.

Do you find leads smooth enough on the Roadster? Are you using 6L6 tubes?

Back