JP2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my JP2C arrived in the mail today. My first impression is great! It's better than I expected. I've owned Mark IV, III no stripe DRG, studio 22+, studio pre/295, III blue stripe DRG, IIB HRG, IIC+ SRG IIC++ DRG. I will soon find out much more as it takes me months to master each mark's give & take.

Markedman said:
So my JP2C arrived in the mail today. My first impression is great! It's better than I expected. I've owned Mark IV, III no stripe DRG, studio 22+, studio pre/295, III blue stripe DRG, IIB HRG, IIC+ SRG IIC++ DRG. I will soon find out much more as it takes me months to master each mark's give & take.

Awesome! I hope you have a blast with it :)

I have channel two set up with the gain at 11 o'clock, most everything else around noon. The gain isn't pulled, shred is off for both channels. I have channel 3 with the gain at 1 o'clock along with the presence and treble also at 1 o'clock, the bass is 10 o'clock. The perceived volume is fairly even between channels with a slight edge to three if any. Both channels are set to the first EQ, I use EQ number two for a lead boost. This amp really exceeds my greatest expectation as to what Mesa Boogie could do. I can get this amp to sound identical to my vintage C++! It's bark and bite plus the thump-knocking chest pounding tone is remarkably similar. Outstanding touch sensitivity, the harder you hit the string, the clearer and more pronounced the note is. With the mid and gain turned up to 4 o'clock, the clean channel is nice and woody sounding similar to a Carr amp. Wow!

Congratulations!

Yeah, it's a great amp. Love mine more and more each time I plug in. It's great to hear that another IIC+(+) owner thinks it's close to the original. Opinions seem a bit divided on that subject at the moment. Great amp either way.

Well if anyone thinks that the JP2C sounds different than my C++, you are more than welcome to come over to my house, I have a great music room and we can go from there. I will also be performing with both amps and if you'd like to get up and play a song or two I'm up for that. A fellow member and I will be doing a professional video with great Mics to post on the boogie board to compare The C+, C++ & JP2C.

Markedman said:
Well if anyone thinks that the JP2C sounds different than my C++, you are more than welcome to come over to my house, I have a great music room and we can go from there. I will also be performing with both amps and if you'd like to get up and play a song or two I'm up for that. A fellow member and I will be doing a professional video with great Mics to post on the boogie board to compare The C+, C++ & JP2C.

I've never owned anything other than a Mark V and a JP-2C- so I have no point of comparison. I just know I love the tones I get with the JP-2C.

I would be interested in watching a video demonstrating the 2C+ and JP2C though. As far as I know is the 2C+ was so varied it's hard to describe it in defined terms. I know Mesa used JP's favorite 2C+ as their reference model for the JP-2C. What I'm wondering is how much different some of the new features make it sound - particularly shred mode. Does that make it a more modern amp in terms of what it can do with extended range guitars?

Markedman said:
We also have the Mark five mini that we'll videotape also.
Awesome to hear, I own a Mark V 25 and will have a JP-2C in a month. Looking forward to that comparison.
The Mark mini is a beast but I feel the JP-2C will be more of a monster.

I went and played in shred mode today and now I'm going to have to post something in the rectifier section about how close this sounds to a rec because it is crazy good tight low end. Songs like Pantera's cowboys from hell sound incredible. The big power transformer has an incredible damping factor and holds the speaker tight with quick response.

Waiting for that video too ;)

I have my JP-2c for a week now. It's a great amp. It's definitely the best Boogie I owned so far. I had aMark IIB, Dual Rectifier (2Ch), Triaxis / 2:90 and a Mark V.

Sold the Mark V the day before my JP-2C arrived... Sadly I couldn't keep both. Though I definetly prefer the JP-C, which would be nearly perfect if I could deactivate the "pull deep". I like the sound with the hard wired pull deep, but having both options would be even cooler...

That said, what i'm hunting for is an original IIC+. But that's really hard to get here in europe....

Marc_Nitschke221B said:
Though I definetly prefer the JP-C, which would be nearly perfect if I could deactivate the "pull deep". I like the sound with the hard wired pull deep, but having both options would be even cooler...

Time to get out the soldering iron!

Based on my understanding of the 2C+ circuit, this would be a trivial modification electrically. The hard part is finding a good place on the chassis to install the switch to toggle between the two states.

Or maybe MikeB at Mesa could extend his business of 2C+ servicing to start doing mods to JP-2C?!?

Chip

chipaudette said:
Marc_Nitschke221B said:
Though I definetly prefer the JP-C, which would be nearly perfect if I could deactivate the "pull deep". I like the sound with the hard wired pull deep, but having both options would be even cooler...

Time to get out the soldering iron!

Based on my understanding of the 2C+ circuit, this would be a trivial modification electrically. The hard part is finding a good place on the chassis to install the switch to toggle between the two states.

Or maybe MikeB at Mesa could extend his business of 2C+ servicing to start doing mods to JP-2C?!?

Chip

Good point. Sadly I'm a) not the "soldering type" and b) living in Germany... That said, the delivery cost to Mesa and back would probably kill me ;)

Here in Europe we have to pay around 3.900 Euro for the Amp, which is nearly 4.400 $...

I made this faceplate and changed the tolex yesterday. I'll be doing the cabinets next week to match. I'm also going to refinish my guitar to match the faceplate as they are from the same piece of wood. I'm getting better and faster, 4 hours total, plus drying time. I think I can strip the old tolex off and put new tolex on in 4 hours for both cabinets. I ordered MojoWeave Black/Red grill cloth http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Grillcloth_x/MojoWeave-Black-Red-Grillcloth-47-W_2 for the cabinets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/28151196383/in/dateposted-public/

Markedman said:
I made this faceplate and changed the tolex yesterday. I'll be doing the cabinets next week to match. I'm also going to refinish my guitar to match the faceplate as they are from the same piece of wood. I'm getting better and faster, 4 hours total, plus drying time. I think I can strip the old tolex off and put new tolex on in 4 hours for both cabinets. I ordered MojoWeave Black/Red grill cloth http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Grillcloth_x/MojoWeave-Black-Red-Grillcloth-47-W_2 for the cabinets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/28151196383/in/dateposted-public/

HOLY CRAP that looks really well done. Nice work.

Thank you, I was inspired to change the tolex when I saw an orange JP2C for sale on the local craigslist but when I was ordering the tolex I decided to go red instead. I didn't want anyone to think it was an "Orange" amp! I saved a grand verses buying an LE!

Markedman said:
https://flic.kr/p/K619Tk

New red tolex and grill cloth, my bass player calls it "the little red Devil"
I would seriously believe they are custom from Mesa, really nice work. Looks great.

Latest posts

Back