James Hetfield's 2008 rig pix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Esromeron said:
So I was watching the new Fly On the Wall for today(from missionmetallica), and i noticed James was using a Recto-verb combo. Figured this would be the right spot to post it if anyone was interested in knowing this kind of stuff. :wink:

He usually uses a Rect-O-Verb combo or Trem-O-Verb combo to practice, warm up, try parts out, or just goof around on in the control room.

Those Metallica ringtone clips, where James plays the guitar- would have been either the Rect-O-Verb combo or Trem-O-Verb combo. You can tell due to the slight harshness in the tone.

Sweet gear. I never knew he used Deizel's. I saw a band from Chicago last weekend who played the same amp and it sounded killer!

the other rig is at practice but it's just as neat or neater then this rig.

IMG_0970.jpg

here is the gear used by Metallica during their tour to Romania
22114.jpg

22115.jpg

22116.jpg
22117.jpg
22113.jpg
22112.jpg

got the pictures from www.metalhead.ro
enjoy

So..... silly question

does james use the triaxis and the deizels at the same time to get a blended sound?
or different amps for different era's etc?
eg "load" material vs "puppets" ?

I know this is kind of late question, but why does james have a line 6 Distortion modeler in his pedal tray, if he has great distortion from his other set ups?

Roadifier said:
I know this is kind of late question, but why does james have a line 6 Distortion modeler in his pedal tray, if he has great distortion from his other set ups?

Its his main sound , his rack and amps are just a smoke screen :lol:

Seriously , i think he uses it on some minor solo stuff as a boost pedal, or it is simply modified to serve a function in his rack., tuning, sound check for the roadi, but not the main crunch sound.

james hetfield guitar tech , explained in a reason youtube clip where the whent over his current rig, that james main rythmen sound is two modded triaxis pres set for IIc+ and the diezel WH4.

I wonder why he uses Output A on one Triaxis, and the Effects Loop Send on the other Triaxis?

I wonder what Hetfield's guitar tech means by modded Triaxis? I know that Boogie doesn't mod anything for anyone without special exception.

MesaGod666 said:
I wonder what Hetfield's guitar tech means by modded Triaxis? I know that Boogie doesn't mod anything for anyone without special exception.

Metallica has special amp tech's at their HQ that fix all their amps and "mod" them to james's specifics.

I know this is an older topic but nonetheless...

tedsticle: I wonder why he uses Output A on one Triaxis, and the Effects Loop Send on the other Triaxis?

James has 4 Triaxis Preamps. one for cleans and one for crunch. The other 2 are backups of each.
Output A is Triaxis #1, this is for half of the Clean tone routed along with the G-major and out to a dedicated Mesa 2:90 Power Amp.
The other half of his clean tone is of course, the Roland JC-120H Jazz Chorus.

Triaxis #2 serves James' infamous "Crunchberries" tone. The Mesa Mark IIc+. The effects loop send is running a modified Studio Pre as mentioned above. The studio pre is utilizing the graphic EQ only. Looking at pictures of James' EQ it almost looks like the Studio could be running 2 Graphic EQ's in parallel or in stereo? I only say this because obviously the front of the Studio pre is completely defaced. The EQs could be under those 2 mounted transformer looking boxes, or those boxes could be something else? I'd love to know if anyone could shed some light on his EQ.

MesaGod666: I wonder what Hetfield's guitar tech means by modded Triaxis? I know that Boogie doesn't mod anything for anyone without special exception.

Again, seeing pics of James' rig, we've seen the labels on his "Crunchberries" Triaxis to say "Phase Inverted IIc+"
This mod could refer back to The Black Album days. James would use several different mics in various positions to create phasing of frequencies during recording. Basically inverting the two current sources, plus and minus. In other words, reversing the polarity of the signal between the gain stage and the output. It may give the sound more depth and enhance the upper low frequencies.

So lets look at James' Crunch settings from the guitar world youtube video.
Gain 7.5, Treb 7.0, Mid 2.0, Bass 7.0, L2 4.0, Master 5.5, Presence 10, DV 0.0
The mod would definitely allow for these unconventional settings in the Bass settings, especially allowing the presence to be maxed out. By phase inversion, the Bass and presence settings would complement each other with a nice balance of a tight attack. the DV at 0 obviously allows the Custom EQ to take over. This tone is noticed the most during the "Load" era. In 2003, James then started blending this rig with a Diezel Vh4 on channel 3. I like the sound of the blended tone, but I much prefer the tone of his triaxis rig alot better.

I love this rig because I think it captures the Garage Days re-revisited tone the best. The 2 Garage albums have the best guitar tone in my opinion.

enough rambling... :roll:

myownself26 said:
I love this rig because I think it captures the Garage Days re-revisited tone the best. The 2 Garage albums have the best guitar tone in my opinion.

For garage inc, metallica used flextones... :oops:

Back