Is the honeymoon over already??!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrSmitty said:
LOL, "gave 'em both barrels" huh? Is the presence pulled too? I can't really tell from the pic. If your presence was NOT pulled...I'd say that would only be a "barrel and a half", just saying.

No sir, BOTH barrels, sir :) Both the gain and presence are pulled.

Also worth noting, part of the singing, Mark I-ish characteristic in my own stuff probably comes from the fact that the solo on that clip is 100% neck pickup.

Another good video MrSmitty! It sounds just like I thought it would. I don't think anything is wrong with any of your amps. So you may just prefer the feel of the V over the JP2C. For me, the differences in feel between the V and the JP2C is inconsequential :p I get along with either one of them.
In the video, I could hear a certain similarity in all the V's modes. It's an upper midrange character. A really good frequency for cutting though a mix. That midrange gets an extra punch when in pentode. Also I thought you could really hear how dry the V sounded compared to the other 2. Really good job recording that man, you really capture each amps character very well. I look forward for more!!

SamuelJ86 said:
Another good video MrSmitty! It sounds just like I thought it would. I don't think anything is wrong with any of your amps. So you may just prefer the feel of the V over the JP2C. For me, the differences in feel between the V and the JP2C is inconsequential :p I get along with either one of them.
In the video, I could hear a certain similarity in all the V's modes. It's an upper midrange character. A really good frequency for cutting though a mix. That midrange gets an extra punch when in pentode. Also I thought you could really hear how dry the V sounded compared to the other 2. Really good job recording that man, you really capture each amps character very well. I look forward for more!!

Thanks for the compliment Samuel. Just for the record... I really don't enjoy recording totally dry amp sounds and putting them on the Internet. To some people it probably sounds like *** compared to a nice produced & mixed guitar tone. Anyway, for my next video I'll try to make something cool like an instrumental or something.

MrSmitty said:
Just for the record... I really don't enjoy recording totally dry amp sounds and putting them on the Internet. To some people it probably sounds like *** compared to a nice produced & mixed guitar tone.

Yea, but for the sake of comparison it's perfect. The amps sounded true, so people listening should get a good idea the differences, job well done. Jazz it up a bit for playing tunes or showing off the chops. :mrgreen:

SamuelJ86 said:
MrSmitty said:
Just for the record... I really don't enjoy recording totally dry amp sounds and putting them on the Internet. To some people it probably sounds like *** compared to a nice produced & mixed guitar tone.

Yea, but for the sake of comparison it's perfect. The amps sounded true, so people listening should get a good idea the differences, job well done. Jazz it up a bit for playing tunes or showing off the chops. :mrgreen:

+100

Sorry to say but, the JP2C was retuned this morning. It's a great amp for who and what it was designed for. However, it just wasn't working for me. Hopefully Mesa will later consider a revision to this amp, maybe a regular IIc+ w/simul-class....(?)

MrSmitty said:
Sorry to say but, the JP2C was retuned this morning. It's a great amp for who and what it was designed for. However, it just wasn't working for me. Hopefully Mesa will later consider a revision to this amp, maybe a regular IIc+ w/simul-class....(?)

Bummer... However, the right tool for the job is the one that works for you....

MrSmitty said:

I returned my JP2C last month, too. I really liked the basic sound and that it was fuller than my Mark V in C+ mode. It was fatter. But it wasn't as tight as V. After trying the Triaxis, the V and the JP I now will try the real deal.

I never found a sound that's better than what I got out of an amp from the Mark series (including the Triaxis), but there are so many shades to them, that the quest for the "perfect" Mark sound isn't over. I'm excited to see if the IIC+ will finally end the quest.

As for the comparison between the Mark V and the JP2C I find it interesting, that the JP2C seems to find more love, when people compare it to a C+, than the V got on its release. Yet many people now seem to prefer the V over the JP. But maybe that's just my feeling after I read the post of the last month.

I had the V for almost 7 years, but I sold it a few months ago to fund the JP. I don't regret it one bit really. I much prefer the JP. I have owned a few different Mark amps through the years and I still own a Mark III and IV as well as a Triaxis/2:90.

The V has probably the best ch 1 and 2 of all of them, but ch 3 was probably my least favorite lead channel of them all. It's great don't get me wrong, but it felt a bit stiff and thin to me compared to my other Marks. Not as chunky. And as for the JP not being as tight as the V...well, turn up the volume a bit. It's super tight and responds very fast, but with a added low end girth that I feel the V lacks a bit. In fact, the JP doesn't quite have the low end girth that the III and IV have, so to me the lows seem closer to the V, but better. The JP is a lot closer to my ideal Mark series tone and so far I'm really happy with it.

To me, I find it a bit strange that some people prefer the V to JP, but we all have different tastes and needs and it's good that we can choose what we prefer. It seems like the few that went back to the V have been pretty vocal about it, and that's cool, but I've read a lot of posts both here and on other forums where it's the other way around.

I still wouldn't mind a real 2C+ though.

Before I got my JP2C, I was sure it would render my Mark V obsolete. I was already somewhat dissatisfied with the Mark V and had it up for sale before my JP2C was even delivered.

However, after I played with the JP2C (and loved it), I realized that they two can compliment each other, rather than eclipse each other. Neither is absolutely perfect for me, but together, they are like when five mini lion bots come together to form one super-bot. The two amps fill out each others' weaknesses. I took my Mark V off the market. I couldn't tell you which one was better overall, but if the house was burning down and I could only save one, it'd probably be the JP2C.

~Icarus

Icarusuki said:
Before I got my JP2C, I was sure it would render my Mark V obsolete. I was already somewhat dissatisfied with the Mark V and had it up for sale before my JP2C was even delivered.

However, after I played with the JP2C (and loved it), I realized that they two can compliment each other, rather than eclipse each other. Neither is absolutely perfect for me, but together, they are like when five mini lion bots come together to form one super-bot. The two amps fill out each others' weaknesses. I took my Mark V off the market. I couldn't tell you which one was better overall, but if the house was burning down and I could only save one, it'd probably be the JP2C.

~Icarus

I get that point. I had to sell the V to buy the JP2C. But after playing the JP for a while I thought that running the C+ mode of the V at the same time as the JP would probably create the Mark sound I'm looking for. But since I was already beaming the Mesa with another amp, that would mean three amps, and three amps is more than one cab can handle and at least one amp more than I am willing to carry around ;)

Icarusuki said:
However, after I played with the JP2C (and loved it), I realized that they two can compliment each other, rather than eclipse each other. Neither is absolutely perfect for me, but together, they are like when five mini lion bots come together to form one super-bot. The two amps fill out each others' weaknesses.

That's a very good point Icarusuki. The JP is a warmer, smoother sounding amp and the V is a bit more focused, some may say dry, with more mids. Perhaps that's why the V is the way it is; it needed to be different than the others. Or that's just what it evolved to be. Regardless, people have a lot of choices of the mark series tone. They're all great, you just gotta find the one that gives you the biggest smile :mrgreen:

SamuelJ86 said:
They're all great, you just gotta find the one that gives you the biggest smile :mrgreen:

...or two or three... :lol:

Between the Mark V, JP2C, TriAxis, Kemper, and Axe FX II, I have started to slow down on the amp buying. I sold off my Mark V:25. The 6505+ is going to be sold off for sure and the Rectifier may get taken off the market, but it may not. :oops:

I find that the more amps I have on hand, the more I fully appreciate each amp. When I pared down my collection and only had one amp, I was constantly fighting with it, trying to make it stretch outside its comfort zone, only to be disappointed by its limitations. Now I can focus on each amp's "speciality".

Thinking about it in those terms, I probably should have had more than one kid. :p

~Icarus

Latest posts

Back