Is the Electra Dyne the way to go for happiness?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Fore

Reaction score
I just ventured over to the E.D. board just to see what was going on because I've yet to plug into one and wanted to read the general feeling from the owners... what did I find? A veritable love fest with not one negative thing to say about the amp with comments ranging from, "I traded in my Roadster/Road King after playing one for 30 minutes and never looked back!" to "I went in to buy a Mark V and left with an Electra Dyne!". No one is asking, "Can it do metal?"... Why? Because people are just posting that it can without being asked! No one is bitching about Chinese lead solder or Mark IIC+ shortcomings or wipe-away faceplate text.

I may keep my Mark V, but I'm going to hang out in the E.D. board for a group hug and some hippie love. Peace!

Mark Fore said:
I just ventured over to the E.D. board just to see what was going on because I've yet to plug into one and wanted to read the general feeling from the owners... what did I find? A veritable love fest with not one negative thing to say about the amp with comments ranging from, "I traded in my Roadster/Road King after playing one for 30 minutes and never looked back!" to "I went in to buy a Mark V and left with an Electra Dyne!". No one is asking, "Can it do metal?"... Why? Because people are just posting that it can without being asked! No one is bitching about Chinese lead solder or Mark IIC+ shortcomings or wipe-away faceplate text.

I may keep my Mark V, but I'm going to hang out in the E.D. board for a group hug and some hippie love. Peace!

Wait for the Electra*Dyne 2, then all the people that can't afford it will complain how it doesn't measure up to the original. :lol: I don't see how anyone could sell off a Mark V, no matter how many IIc+'s they have.

Simple really. There was no over-hyped expectation of what it should sound like. So instead of trying to A/B with the MKIV and IIC+, they just plugged a guitar into it and listened.

GD_NC said:
Simple really. There was no over-hyped expectation of what it should sound like. So instead of trying to A/B with the MKIV and IIC+, they just plugged a guitar into it and listened.

That did play a lot of it...the over-"hype" or rather expectation...though I have to say...lets hope that thegaindeli never gets an electradyne...then that forum will probably have massive problems

P.S. sorry, I went there

Clearly if both of you spent some time on the Electra Dyne board, you would be best friends right now. I'm tellin' ya, it's like Woodstock over there!

Mark Fore said:

Well said Mark Fore!

I had the Express 5:25 combo before trading up to the Electra Dyne and I was forever twisting knobs and switching through the channels. I swear that thing would sound different in every setting I played it in and I would have to start twisting and tweaking all over again to dial in my sound. I shudder to think how out of control I would have been with the V! There are just 6 knobs on the front panel of my ED - all I worry about now is playing. You owe it to yourself to play through an Electra Dyne - they live up to the hype.

JOEY B. said:
Scary said:
I don't see how anyone could sell off a Mark V, no matter how many IIc+'s they have.

I do. A MESA amp switcher will do wonders for those pesky "shared controls" when used with a couple of Mark II's. :twisted:

Can the IIC+ sound like tweed and fat mode in channel 1?

Scary said:
JOEY B. said:
Scary said:
I don't see how anyone could sell off a Mark V, no matter how many IIc+'s they have.

I do. A MESA amp switcher will do wonders for those pesky "shared controls" when used with a couple of Mark II's. :twisted:

Can the IIC+ sound like tweed and fat mode in channel 1?

Actually the tweed channel on full power, 90 watts, with the gain set around the 9 o'clock position and the channel volume cranked, sounded the most like my DRG C+ in the clean channel. Higher gain settings in the MkV tweed channel will be difficult to reproduce on the C+, but then there is always the OD pedal option. :wink:

The settings are in this thread, page 2, I think. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

1. The ElectraDyne had no hype to live up to. The Mark V was hyped to be better then some of the best amplifiers ever made. Hell even the NAMM video of the ED sucked. It sounded thin. And ED owners can assure you that the ED does not sound thin!

2. The ElectraDyne is the first generation of this type of amp. The Mark V had posted settings like Mark IV and Mark IIC+ which undoubtedly would be compared to the originals.

3. Many people ordered the Mark V before ever hearing it. Thus, for many the first time they heard it, it was in there own living room. Bad time to find out if you like an amp. Most (not all) ED owners tried there amps out before getting them home. Those who didn't like it probably never gave it a second thought. Those who did have joined us in the love fest on the ED board.

4. The ED is a Mesa that is simple to dial in. It is shockingly simple. I think most people who hate Mesa would love this amp.

I am of course bias. But I was stunned when I played the ED. It was not even on my radar till I saw the demo from Marcus on the Mesa site. Even then that just peeked my interest. When I saw one sitting in GC, I had to try it. I was blown away.

But hey, after reading the ED board, I guess you could now say the ED is somewhat "hyped". So maybe you won't like it.

What ever you do, just make sure thegain trim switch is set to off or clean when you go play it. If it isn't, you will think it doesn't have enough gain.

Actually, I thought that the NAMM video for what it is was awesome...

Nevertheless, they are different enough to warrant that you choose either one based on YOUR preference...

Wow that amp does sound good (on youtube)but I really would like to hear Mark Fore's opinion compared to the MKV

Thanks
Andyman95023 :D

Ha! Sorry for the somewhat hijacking of this thread... I haven't tried the ED yet, but I still will go to that board for some hippie love every now and then. I was meaning to try out the ED yesterday, but I scored two Mark IV A heads (ser # 369 and 2702) from Steve Miller's manager yesterday at the local guitar shop as they were unloading a ton of his gear to pay for multiple Gibson Pearly Gates Les Pauls that he bought. My search for tonal bliss has now ended. The Mark IV A's have some meat, boy. I now understand what the IIC+ owners rave about because there is something to their arguments. My Mark IVB (or V for that matter) doesn't sound nearly this good.

The headshells are aftermarket (it looks like) so I'm going to send these in to get them serviced with new head shells in a couple months.

mark4_1.jpg

mark4_3.jpg

mark4_2a.jpg

mark4_4.jpg

Mark Fore said:
My search for tonal bliss has now ended. The Mark IV A's have some meat, boy. I now understand what the IIC+ owners rave about because there is something to their arguments. My Mark IVB (or V for that matter) doesn't sound nearly this good.

WHAT YOU SAY ????? :wink:

Latest posts

Back