Is my neck warped?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricTurkey4369

Reaction score
Theres this crack near the headstock of my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I changed my strings a week ago and took all the strings off at once, and I heard that could warp the neck...
Do I also need a truss rod adjustment?
Heres some pics on my facebook album:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2041272&id=1334318994&saved#!/album.php?aid=2041272&id=1334318994

Again, I'm not sure if this id because i banged the head against something. Should I just take this into the guitar store near by and let them put some kind of glue on it?

I just bought a 2004 Gibson Flying V and have the same issue. Looks like the fretboard is separating from the back of the neck. Runs all the way down one side and half way down the other. Eff'n POS Gibson. Ive never seen that before on any other guitar... and Ive seen a lot.

TimeSignature said:
I just bought a 2004 Gibson Flying V and have the same issue. Looks like the fretboard is separating from the back of the neck. Runs all the way down one side and half way down the other. Eff'n POS Gibson. Ive never seen that before on any other guitar... and Ive seen a lot.

I took it in and they said I banged it, which is why that happened. Nothing extreme and they said it won't spread. I did bang it a couple times.

Green wood, not letting it age enough and then the wood 'moves' is an issue with companies that are more concerned with volume than quality. Gibson has been accused of that lately. Not saying it is completely true but it is a possibility.

Gibson's main problem pertaining to headstock cracks comes from the fact that their cases do not support the neck properly so the headstock pushes against the back of the case which over time weakens the joint at the headstock and leaves them more vulnerable when banged. This is why Les Pauls/335s etc. tend to have such a high rate of headstock cracks

DaveBorn2Rock said:
Gibson's main problem pertaining to headstock cracks comes from the fact that their cases do not support the neck properly so the headstock pushes against the back of the case which over time weakens the joint at the headstock and leaves them more vulnerable when banged. This is why Les Pauls/335s etc. tend to have such a high rate of headstock cracks

There is also too much angle on the HS

Gibsons simply are not worth the cash , period. They are mass produced and in no way do they merrit the amount of money they charge for them.

I'd say that's probably true for PRS, Fender and most of the big names out there, way over priced...why because they can !

I recently bought a cheap Gibson copy, put in new pickups, replaced the pots with ones of the exact value 500K (better quality than the shitty Gibson ones) and added good quality tone caps (Mundorf) I also used 4% silver solder and then compared it to a Gibson RRP $3500 and it's a better sounding guitar to be frank. It cost me about $600 including the case, ofcourse it doesn't have the status Gibson carry but so what....I am constantly amazed at how people are sucked in by the subliminal reassuringly expensive sales pitch.

I changed my strings a week ago and took all the strings off at once, and I heard that could warp the neck...

Total BS. Removing all the strings at once will NOT warp the neck. I've been changing my strings that way for > 20 years!

Thundersteel said:
I changed my strings a week ago and took all the strings off at once, and I heard that could warp the neck...

Total BS. Removing all the strings at once will NOT warp the neck. I've been changing my strings that way for > 20 years!

+1

Martin said:
Gibsons simply are not worth the cash , period. They are mass produced and in no way do they merrit the amount of money they charge for them.

I'd say that's probably true for PRS, Fender and most of the big names out there, way over priced...why because they can !

I recently bought a cheap Gibson copy, put in new pickups, replaced the pots with ones of the exact value 500K (better quality than the sh!t Gibson ones) and added good quality tone caps (Mundorf) I also used 4% silver solder and then compared it to a Gibson RRP $3500 and it's a better sounding guitar to be frank. It cost me about $600 including the case, ofcourse it doesn't have the status Gibson carry but so what....I am constantly amazed at how people are sucked in by the subliminal reassuringly expensive sales pitch.

This is mostly true today, however not 30+ years ago. I have 2 Les Pauls and a Strat that are all over 30 years old and are much better crafted than the ones today. I also have a 335 that I bought several years back and an American 70's reissue strat. Finding ones that sounded and felt good was difficult. I've been playing for over 35 years and it's sad to see once great companies put out stuff like this. Not saying that you can't find a high quality Gibson or Fender anymore...it just takes time and $$$. I feel as though they have over expanded their line. When I was a kid just starting to play..you had a LP standard, Custom and Deluxe and just a strat. None of these signature models and custom shop stuff. Just good guitars.

Gibson has been having many problems in recent years relating to quality. Quantity not quality has been their manta it seems. I believe that they are under investigation for possessing banned and/or endangered woods in their wearhouse.

Gibson has been having many problems in recent years relating to quality. Quantity not quality has been their manta it seems.

That is why I, as well as many others, prefer Heritage and G&L over Gibson and Fender. Better quality, better price.

Latest posts

Back