I need to replace all tubes in Mark IV!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaMan

Reaction score
I need to replace all tubes in my Mark IV combo. I play mostly blues and Classic Rock and prefer the 6L6/EL-34 combination vs. all 6L6.

What are the best ones to get and where can I get them?

www.eurotubes.com (JJ's only, but they sound great IMO)
www.dougstubes.com
www.kcanostubes.com (New Old Stock glass...the best but be ready to get your wallet out)

FWIW I put the JJ's in my Triple and its a monster now.

Mark IVs are a VINTAGE amp, hence the VINTAGE amp section.

But i cant be bothered moving it so ill let it pass. :D

For future reference, the year the amp was first built, not the model you have determines its vintageness/moderness..

Grandor - yeah I looked at that but, they first came out I believe in 1990 - I bought my first one in 1991 - and they are still making and selling them (a new wide-body version - which I own), where they have discontinued most of the other Mark seriies and earlier "vintage" models - sorry, I considered posting to the vinatge section, but in my eyes, my 2002 Mark IV is not vintage - you can still move the post/thread if you like...

This is such a subjective thing but I'll offer my experience.

Tried Eurotubes and literally filled my F50 and 2 Mark IVs with JJ tubes. I didn't like either of those setups. Harsh distortion and not warm.

I've tried Doug's Tubes recommendation and like it much better. Warm and smooth gain.

But still, my opinion is that my Mark IV sounded best with stock Mesa tubes. I wish I never sold them.

Currently I have a GT Mullard, EH, 2 Shuguangs and a JJ in the Mark IV from V1 to V5. I just put SED winged C's in the power section.

The biggest improvement over the JJs was the preamp switch. When I went to SEDs in the power amp, I didnt' notice much improvement. In fact, I may prefer the JJs there.

I run all 6L6s but have two JJ EL34s that are brand new and have yet to try.

Just keep trying different tubes and see what you like best.

Dave

LavaMan said:
Grandor - yeah I looked at that but, they first came out I believe in 1990 - I bought my first one in 1991 - and they are still making and selling them (a new wide-body version - which I own), where they have discontinued most of the other Mark seriies and earlier "vintage" models - sorry, I considered posting to the vinatge section, but in my eyes, my 2002 Mark IV is not vintage - you can still move the post/thread if you like...

If you read the 'vintage' description it says before-1991.
While my mark IV is a 2001, I still consider it vintage. ie - it hasnt got Midi switching, LED's, digital circuitry, speaker combo options, cab selection features, modes, multiple FX loops, options for different diodes. etc etc.
The amps in the modern section have things like this (ie - roadking).
Anyway, the rest of the mark IV threads are in vintage...

Latest posts

Back