I just dont get it...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxst88

Reaction score
At work I have had 4 seperate occasions to demo a Mark IV 1x12 combo (at high volumes too!) with at least 20 minutes to tweak channels. Everytime i cant help but wonder why people buy these things, how Petrucci/LOG/NOFX/etc gets such a good sound out of them, and why there are so many options yet it sounds middy and never has enough gain!!! I know these are some of the best amps ever made so why is it I cant get a decent tone out of one?

Graphic EQ.

4x12 cabinet.

Can't help you on the gain department. Usually when people say a Mark doesn't have enough gain I tell them to go practice.

That's the good & the bad about the M4: versatile but complicated. The tone is in there but can be hard to find. Low gain might be worn preamp tubes.

g'luck

lerxst88 said:
At work I have had 4 seperate occasions to demo a Mark IV 1x12 combo (at high volumes too!) with at least 20 minutes to tweak channels. Everytime i cant help but wonder why people buy these things, how Petrucci/LOG/NOFX/etc gets such a good sound out of them, and why there are so many options yet it sounds middy and never has enough gain!!! I know these are some of the best amps ever made so why is it I cant get a decent tone out of one?

for me it has more than enough gain, and also no matter how i tweek the knobs i still get good sound, just different flavours and eq's.

here you can listen for a log-ish type song and mix .tell me if it sounds good to you:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=695461&songID=7637995

When I got my Mark IV, it took me five minutes to get an incredible tone, so I honestly don't understand what's the problem.

tony777 said:
When I got my Mark IV, it took me five minutes to get an incredible tone, so I honestly don't understand what's the problem.

+1000

Took me all of 5 minutes as well.

Not enough gain???

When ever I read that from a poster I have to wonder if the Mark IV they are playing through is broke. Any more and you wouldn't be able to recognize the notes.

I play through a closed back recto 1x12. Here are my settings or the lead channel.

Lead Gain:6/Pulled (you probably want seven or 8 here, at high volumes I raise it to 7)
Treble:6.5
Lead Bass: 3
Lead Mid: 4
Lead Drive: 7/pulled (again, you may want to go higher, but start here)
channel volume: 2.5
Lead Presence: 5 (NOT PULLED)

I usually play without the EQ.

But if I want the EQ my settings are (these change from time to time)
80hz: Top line
240 Hz: middle line
750 hz:between middle and bottom line (you may want to go lower judging by your midrange comment)
2200hz:between the top and middle line
6600hz: middle line.

Generaly lately, I don't use the EQ.

The Mark IV is absolutely a Midrangey amp, that is for sure. But I think it is that midrangey tone that makes it so killer for leads, and so tight

I lower the gain to about 6 or so when i play at 2.5-3 volume to help control some of the noise.

Like the others said...plug it into a 2x12 or 4x12 recto\stiletto (or better yet..2) cab and then comment. ;)

and never has enough gain!!!

Interesting........
not enough gain?.....or not enough distortion? :roll:
Many amps (including later model Recto's) use clipping diodes to increase distortion.
I have yet to see (hear) a Mesa that did not have ton's of gain, but some sound more distorted than others.
I have a friend who criticize's my Stiletto for the same reason (too smooth), but he loves the Recto's!....go figure!

Perhaps the Mark is just not the right amp for that crowd....... :?:
To each his own! :)

Old BF Shred said:
and never has enough gain!!!

Many amps (including later model Recto's) use clipping diodes to increase distortion.

WHAT?????????

I never thought anu Mesa's used clipping diodes!

I'm shocked!

Go to "Schematic amp heaven"...look at 3ch Recto preamp circuit....they're there.

I have been told the JCM 2000 Marshalls use a similar set up, although I haven't checked it personally.
It certainly does not mean that it's wrong to build amps this way....it goes for a tone many people like (a lot)....

After many,m-a-a-a-a-a-n-y years of searching for that sweet sound I have come to the following conclusion...

Tone is in the ear of the beholder..........but in the fingers of the beheld :lol:

(..but then I only look smart.)

Old BF Shred said:
Go to "Schematic amp heaven"...look at 3ch Recto preamp circuit....they're there.

I have been told the JCM 2000 Marshalls use a similar set up, although I haven't checked it personally.
It certainly does not mean that it's wrong to build amps this way....it goes for a tone many people like (a lot)....

I knew Marshalls used them. In fact it was my understanding(perhaps incorrectly) that Marshall introduced clipping diodes with a certain (not first) revision of the JCM 800, and that it was in all the JCM 900's.

But I thought I read that absolutely no Mesa's ever used clipping diodes.

Do any of the Marks use them?

One of the most important thing is surely the guitar...and the pickups!!!!!!
Sometimes, it don't react the same way with a mark amp...
Good luck with it.
Normand.

Old BF Shred said:

According to Kris Dilbeck at Mesa/Boogie none of their amps use clipping diodes. I don't see them on the schematic. Maybe I'm missing something. What page and where on the page did you see them?

lerxst88 said:

I found then when your laying tracks, less distortion has more clarity and you can always double up on guitars to get that thick metal soudn. Also, the mid range gives it that bite and cut yet helps the axe(s) sit well in the mix and not over power and not turn into mud.

You definetly need the right pup for the sound you want. That good tight gain you hear on your favorite albums is a result of locking in drums, bass and guitars - not tons of gain.

Just my two cents...

Don said:
Old BF Shred said:

According to Kris Dilbeck at Mesa/Boogie none of their amps use clipping diodes. I don't see them on the schematic. Maybe I'm missing something. What page and where on the page did you see them?

I wanna say I read the same somewhere as well.

The purist in me is hoping you are right.

I know I have heard some killer tones with clipping diodes. Hell, back in the 80's I traded in a Laney pro tube 50 watt head for a Randall Rg100ES and never looked back.

primal said:
I know I have heard some killer tones with clipping diodes.

Like almost any Dist/OD pedal on Earth. There's nothing bad about clipping diodes. The problem is that they are often used in conjunction with cheap projects, giving the overall idea that a clipping circuit makes it all sound cheap.

The V-Twin had clipping diodes in it, but it sounded pretty good.

This is a quote from Kris Dilbeck- "No we do not use any clipping diodes in any of our amps."

Clipping diodes are fine. I just prefer they not be in an amp. I'll add them with an overdrive or distortion pedal if I like.

The one who started this thread must have had a acoustic guitar without cable and thought it was plugged in, or his cable was broke so he didn't hear anything from the amp, or he plugged his ipod earphone in the speaker plugs, i dont know, but EVERYTHING I dial I can make sound good with the GEQ, and gain? Maybe search a bit harder for the sweet spot of the mark IV, channel volume about 3-4, master about 2-3-4... Works very very very very well for me. Mark IV's are complicated but they surely have enough gain and they do NOT sound bad! The moment I bought mine in germany, the owner played for like 2 seconds on rhythm 2 and lead, then the soft clean and I immediatly took that wonderful amp to home!

Latest posts

Back