How to make a Mesa Dual Rectifier smoother?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***wicked***

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have bought a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and i cant satisfy on my lead playing. High notes sound so thick. Can you recommend me a pedal to soften my high notes out? . i use gibson les paul custom and look for a tone like metallica, John petrucci and children of bodom. thanks

Welcome Aboard.

The tones you reference honestly would be easier to get with a Mk4 or even a Stiletto, but that's not to say it cant be done with a Recto.

Post your settings so we can get a better idea where to start. What speakers and how new? Clean boosters, OD pedals at low gain settings, EQ pedals can all work wonders, but start with the amp.

wicked,

RE: "i use gibson les paul custom and look for a tone like metallica, John petrucci and children of bodom.". Which one? All three are very different from one another.

Also, using terms like "thick" and "soften" are leaving the discussion wide open for lots of confusion, and therefore confusing advice. When you're soloing, are your high notes too muddy, to where they sound like you have a blanket over the speakers? Are they too shrill and piercing? Do they lack clear definition, to where it's hard to hear each note distinctly? Do they lack harmonic content so that they sound bland and flutelike? Help us out here.

How to make a Dual rec smoother:

1) Raise the chassis up about 15-20 inches
2) Slide a Rocket 44 or DC-3 underneath it
3) Disconnect the recto head

Works every time!

Actually, when you say all 3 have very different tone I disagree slightly.
For one thing, Metallica (Pre load and so on) Mark IIC+ and Mark IV, Petrucci Mark IIC+ and Mark IV *Roadking for a stint between 02 and 05*, Bodom, Old Lee Jakcson preamps.
I Have a mark IV and can achieve all these tones with it easy, Alexi's tone isn't very hard to achieve on either amp though. Maxon OD 808. See how you go with that XD
You won't get Alexi's mids though! *My .02* Don't hurt me XD

Did Petrucci not use an OD-3 (or some sort of overdrive) during his RK days?

Yeh he did, he still uses an OD pedal I believe. Of which sort I don't know!
SPeaking of which. Would a Boss OD-3 be worth buying for $50
Suggestions?

chris_EIT said:
Yeh he did, he still uses an OD pedal I believe. Of which sort I don't know!
SPeaking of which. Would a Boss OD-3 be worth buying for $50
Suggestions?

Check this out. It has all his gear. The rack amazes me!

Also he uses a zendriver? i dunno.. because it shows 2 drawer pictures and one shows the zendriver and the other shows the keeley ts9dx...

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gearpics.htm

chris_EIT,

RE: "Actually, when you say all 3 have very different tone I disagree slightly.". You then go on to show that Metallica and Petrucci have used Mark series amps and the fact that your Mark IV can achieve those tones as evidence that they don't have different tones. Sorry, but that really doesn't make your case very much. The Mark's are known for being very versatile amps, firstly, so the fact that two artists both use them in no way means that their tone will be the same. Plus, all it takes is merely listening to the artists in question to realize that their tones are not the same. With all that in mind, I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make.

If wicked wants truly useful advice, he still needs to clarify exactly what kind of tone changes he would like to make; only then would we, or he, know that the advice we are giving him is accurate to what he wants.

Latest posts

Back