How does the Mark V's cleans compare to a Fender Twin ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Custom Vibroux Reverb. It has Rajun Cajun speakers and I switch between 6L6 and 5881 tubes. I had a mod done to it. It added a switchable "Negative Feedback Loop", basically changes it to a Vibroverb. Moved all the reverb to Ch2 and added a little extra gain in place of the reverb to Ch1.
It has a much better clean that it did stock. I have some Weber C10Qs that I use in it sometimes but they are really loud and pretty heavy.. but they have later breakup.
All that to say that the CVR, modded this way has great Fender tone and Fender clean as long as you don't push it too much, the Twin Reverb/Showman amps have enormous headroom especially with the old JBL speakers but still the CVR does it but not as loud.

The clean on the Mark V is a good bit better. Fender clean is a one trick clean, IMO. Of course you can add compression but the Mesa is just better for me. In fact it was the Mark clean tones on an album that attracted me to the Mark amps. I tracked down and spoke with the guitarist involved and learned that Mark IIIs were used on the albums in question, so I bought a Mark V and have NOT been disappointed. You won't get a better clean from a Fender.

IMO..

JB

Latest posts

Back