How can i get a close petrucci tone on a mark v?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a mark v about a week ago, and i was wondering if anyone knows a good petrucci setting for this amp. thanks

Do a search, there is a settings thread here that has an actual photo of his channel three settings. Also, go to http://www.johnpetrucci.com, you can see some pics of his rig where his settings can be seen. It's not really clear, but you can get some of them. Of course, the most important part would be to have John's guitar and fingers!

Here you go:
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/gear/bcsl2009/left_rack.jpg

Well, I have a Mystic Dream JP6 guitar and I can pretty much nail his tones with my Mark V.

The best settings I've heard are here:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36442

Hope that helps...

i believe he is playing all ebfr models now which are gonna have a good chunk of mahogany in it to fatten it up a bit and tighten it up. i love my ibanez petrucci and played quite a few of the the ernie balls and they sound good when you dial them in by themselves but plug in anything after them and it sounds like....poop :wink: :wink:

I found this pic of his settings on the JP forum that someone posted there. These sound much better than the other ones that were posted in this thread, I have been using them with my JP6 (with the new pickups) and it sounds sick. Although I turned the gain down a little as it was a bit fuzzy (and my chops at reducing noise aren't the best).
img.php

MusicManJP6 said:
Well, I have a Mystic Dream JP6 guitar and I can pretty much nail his tones with my Mark V.

Hope that helps...

I just have the cheaper Sterling JP50 with John's Signature Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups and I can come very close to his sound. If you notice his master volume, he is really driving the power section of the amp which is a very important factor. Like I said previously, it helps to have his fingers and mojo too!

I just picked up a Petrucci guitar. Mind boggling playability. The asymetrical neck is sweet. The hidden jem is the piezo pickup. Into my Fender amp with a bit of chorus and delay it gives a great Zep Rain Song, Tangerine sound. My first guitar with a piezo. Noticing it does not like the Mesa Mk V with any ammount of distortion at all. Is there a best practice for running a piezo pickup in a Mesa? It "scratches out" on the clean channel in a harsh and abrubt way. In a distortion mode, it does well. Just that harsh scratch when playing clean that does not sound good.

The piezo id never have into a regular guitar amp, unless im just messing around. Id either have it into an acoustic guitar amp, but id rather have it into a di box, then into a pa or something like that. Otherwise youre not really using it to its full potential.

I play a Suhr Modern into an Egnater M4 and can get extremely close. It's all in the EQ.

MusicManJP6 said:

Hope that helps...

I wonder if those settings are accurate.

And he is using IIC+ in that pic... Is he using the Triode setting.

Not to sound like a jerk, but which Petrucci tone? He has used Mark IIC+s, Mark IVs, Road Kings, Mark Vs and God knows what else...

ifailedshapes said:
Not to sound like a jerk, but which Petrucci tone? He has used Mark IIC+s, Mark IVs, Road Kings, Mark Vs and God knows what else...

Who are you talking to??? The OP?

MusicManJP6 said:
Hendog said:

Yep, original IIC+ was not Pentode so Triode is the most accurate setting.

Hmmmm,

This is an ongoing debate. Some say that Petrucci only uses Pentode but of course, as you said, original IIC+'s were all Triode.

Does he switch to Pentode when he uses Mark IV mode?

Hendog said:
MusicManJP6 said:
Hendog said:

Yep, original IIC+ was not Pentode so Triode is the most accurate setting.

Hmmmm,

This is an ongoing debate. Some say that Petrucci only uses Pentode but of course, as you said, original IIC+'s were all Triode.

Does he switch to Pentode when he uses Mark IV mode?

He's got three Mark V's so it's possible!

Not to be smart-alecky, but it does seem like the answer to the OP's question is something like, "Turn on channel 3." That gets you in the ballpark immediately, as long as you use common Mark settings.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Not to be smart-alecky, but it does seem like the answer to the OP's question is something like, "Turn on channel 3." That gets you in the ballpark immediately, as long as you use common Mark settings.

Maybe not "smart-alecky", but certainly not all that helpful either.

To be fair, however, you are right. Channel 3 immediately gives me that Petrucci sound on any of the 3 modes. Of course my JP guitar and playing style doesn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back