Help getting the most out of multiwatt dual recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonermav

Reaction score
So I got my dual recto a couple years back when I was playing in a loud, dirty punk/metal cowboy trio. It was the right amp for the sound.
I no longer play anything like that. I'm a little older now and mostly stick with blues and classic rock and don't gig as much so having several loud amps isn't necessary.
I'm looking to sell my Fender Twin reissue and use the money to buy a new cabinet and possibly make any some other changes. I like the idea of the flexibility the recto offers and I like the 50 watt option however I haven't been able to totally dial in a sound I like.
Here's my question, and my thoughts so far:
Is there a 2x12 cabinet that will help highlight the non-metal aspects of the amp? I don't need the tight lows or fizz in the highs.
I'm thinking about an Avatar 2x12 open back with greenback speakers. Is this a good option?
Are there better tube options for blues/rock sound? I noticed some people recommend El34s?
The cabinet I'm running now is an old Peavey 412 with the metal grill and Sheffield speakers -- I ran out of money after buying the recto head :)
Thanks.

The one single thing you can do to bring that model of Mesa amp to it's full potential, buy an EQ pedal. I like using an MXR 10-band GEQ through the loop to boost the mids, cut some of the lows.

I'm sure you've read that using an OD pedal in front of the amp helps to push the Input gain and cut bass, but you can do the same with an EQ.

A treble booster works for these amps too.

I think the best speakers for these amp, stock sound and settings, is the Celestion Vintage 30. With the EQ pedal, and bringing up the mids, I really like a lot of different speakers with my Dual Rec, with my favorite being the Electro Voice EVM-12L, in a Thiele cabinet.

I can't thank you enough. Putting a 10-band EQ in the loop really does make a huge difference.
I've used two Tube Screamers stacked for years on my Fender. It never occurred to me to boost the Recto because it has plenty of gain but you were not kidding. The TS set to clean boost with the EQ really brightens things up all across the amp. I spent the morning dialing in some sweet low- to mid-gain tones and they are singing. And the TS boost on high-gain leads ;)
Seems like I made the correct choice when deciding which amp to keep while downsizing.
I will try and find a sample of the EVMs. I found a clip with a Dual Rec going through the mesa recto 2x12 with creamback speakers and thought it sounded incredibly smooth.
Thanks again for your help on this.

Back