Have any of you guys had this problem???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which type of od/distortion do you prefer?

• Preamp only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Power amp only

• Preamp with Power amp "breakup"

• Preamp with Power amp "cranked"

• Equal parts Preamp/Power amp

• Total voters

Cleekster

Reaction score
I have a Rectoverb 50 1x12 combo(i've disconnected the speaker)through a 2x12 3/4 back cab with C-90's and in my studio which essentially a 1 1/2 car garage with particle board inner walls my amp sounds pretty good(the modern mode is just to bright for my taste)but when i take the same set up to the stage it is INSANELY BRIGHT for example my live setting for dist.:

prescence:0
High:4(or less depending on wether i'm using the vintage or modern mode)
Mid:5
Bass:10

over the course of this week i've tried every different thing i can think of short of a new amp so i figured i'd ask you guys i'm getting ready to put some jj's in to see if that will tame the beast.

FYI the other guitarist uses a Marshall TSL100 and has no where near the brightness i have........Logic tells me that if everyone had this problem no one would want a recto.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yeah i know the poll has nothing to do with my post.

wow. bass 10 and high 4, presence 0 ??!! I'm not in the room, but how is that bright? Did you buy the piece used? It may have had a mod to alter it's brightness. Or you're standing at a bad angle and getting high frequencies? If you post a clip it would help.

Well as far as cabs go i havn't tried any others yet because i REALLY like the overall tonality of the c-90's(tried this cab with some other amps).......my singer has a 4x12 Marshall w/ greenbacks so i'll see what it sounds like through that.What speaker would you guys suggest.

Pickupwise........My hamer has EMG 89/sa combination

My Tradition s20(les paul)Has stock pickups(which are basically just like PAF's but "hotter")

My yamaha RGX421 has stock pickups

Turning the tone knob down just makes the sound muddier to my ears.

Elpelotero......i bought it brand new.....and i have always made it my practice to lean back my cabs to where the cone of the speaker points up at my ears so i'm hearing what the mic/audience is hearing when i set my tone.

Could this possibly have something to do with my crappy Mesa tubes(i'm still using the ones that came with the amp).

I'd check out the Vintage 30's. May bring down the brightness, or maybe a 4x12 with c-90's, could possibly give it more bass response. Just a though.

-AJH

Cleekster said:
I have a Rectoverb 50 1x12 combo(i've disconnected the speaker)through a 2x12 3/4 back cab with C-90's and in my studio which essentially a 1 1/2 car garage with particle board inner walls my amp sounds pretty good(the modern mode is just to bright for my taste)but when i take the same set up to the stage it is INSANELY BRIGHT for example my live setting for dist.:

prescence:0
High:4(or less depending on wether i'm using the vintage or modern mode)
Mid:5
Bass:10

over the course of this week i've tried every different thing i can think of short of a new amp so i figured i'd ask you guys i'm getting ready to put some jj's in to see if that will tame the beast.

FYI the other guitarist uses a Marshall TSL100 and has no where near the brightness i have........Logic tells me that if everyone had this problem no one would want a recto.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yeah i know the poll has nothing to do with my post.

Personnally, l think the modern mode is completely useless, l haven't heard a mesa sound good on the modern setting, it is very bright, empty and sterile, maybe try the Vintage setting, this setting has enough gain, l don't know why you would want anymore. Personnally l don't think Vintage 30's is really gonna help you that much, but Mesa Rectifiers are very bright sounding amps, it's not to my liking, l hate mine, and you can tell when someone is playing a Rectifier, cause it has "that" sound.

Maybe try a different amp, cause is sounds like this is not the amp for you.

I hope this helps,

Riddick.

I understand riddick i too used to think that the modern mode was useless but when i was in the studio a couple of weeks ago and I realized how indistinct and unusable the vintage mode really is(for rhythm).This weekend i used the modern mode and for the first time i was cuttingthrough the band mix and i could actually understand what i was playing and yes i realize that i screwed up ....i originally wanted a MkIV but they had told me it would take 6 months before they could get one in and i was there with the money and after 15 years of waiting i just HAD to have my very own BOOGIE!!!!. my recto is starting to really grow on me though and i've finally found a setting i like(after plugging the combo speaker back in):

Precens:2
High:7
Mid:2
Bass:7

All in all the vintage mode is good but i like the BALLS of the Modern mode and after taming the Highs i really do like this mode.

Now if i could just figure out how i'm gonna come up with the money for a Mk IV..........that won't earn me Jailtime...LOL

thanks for all your suggestions

Cleekster said:
I understand riddick i too used to think that the modern mode was useless but when i was in the studio a couple of weeks ago and I realized how indistinct and unusable the vintage mode really is(for rhythm).This weekend i used the modern mode and for the first time i was cuttingthrough the band mix and i could actually understand what i was playing and yes i realize that i screwed up ....i originally wanted a MkIV but they had told me it would take 6 months before they could get one in and i was there with the money and after 15 years of waiting i just HAD to have my very own BOOGIE!!!!. my recto is starting to really grow on me though and i've finally found a setting i like(after plugging the combo speaker back in):

Precens:2
High:7
Mid:2
Bass:7

All in all the vintage mode is good but i like the BALLS of the Modern mode and after taming the Highs i really do like this mode.

Now if i could just figure out how i'm gonna come up with the money for a Mk IV..........that won't earn me Jailtime...LOL

thanks for all your suggestions

That's cool bro, l actually used my recto at the studio for recording yesterday, and l found, the vintage and modern setting were too metal for me, so l put it on the raw setting, got a half decent sound, recorded my guitar, then when l recorded bass, l put a some distorion on it, (a little trick Mesa using bands do), and it filled the sound out, and what you were hear was a far bit of bass, but you couldn't really tell it was the bass, had a nice fullness.

Me personally, l'm not a fan of the recto sound what-so-ever, it's too thin, nasty sounding, maybe you should of waited for a MarkIV, you are always better off waiting for the amp you want, than getting your second choose.

Cheers,

Riddick.

nope, can't say i have. but i like power amp brekup with a nice preamp dist. for my kind of stuff if that helps :D

O.K. i guess it's time for me to put my 2 cents in on the poll question...
I'm Old school i guess........

Clean:
gain-12:00
master-9:00
output-12:00

Crunch/Rhythm:(Vintage Mode)
gain-9:00
master-MAX
output-11:00

Lead:(Modern Mode)
gain-9:00
master-MAX
output-MAX

These are what i use for my own music (studio).

Live i use the modern mode for all the distortion with the gain at 10:00,master at 9:00(or higher when i can get away with it) :D ,output at 12:00,and the solo at 2:00.

I'm looking foward to getting a power attenuator so i can get a truly "cranked" sound out of it.....and since i'm NOT a fan of speaker"breakup" it isn't as much a comprimise for me to use a marshall power brake or what ever.

Latest posts

Back