Guitar processors that compliment Mesa amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eaeolian said:
Different things for different ears - the Rocktron units are major tonesuckers to me - I think the converters suck compared to the TCs.

I totally agree with you. Also, to me, everything sounds over processed with the Rocktron units.

Different things for different ears

Agreed. I had a TC G-Major and still own the Rocktron Intellifex. The Intellifex just sounds more transparent to me. Fact is that the G-Major was (is?) built in Thailand (with cheaper components?) while the more expensive models are still built in Denmark. It's all about what works for you I guess.

fatboy135 said:
sorry to be disappointed but in my point of view I think that the g-major is a tone sucker. I prefer the rocktron intellifex, please don´t kick my *** :oops:
I like other processors like lexicon ( the best reverb over the world ) and tc g-force

+1

The G-Major does color your tone, and its parallel effects mode sucks. It's much cheaper version of the G-Force, and it shows. Save your money and get the much better G-Force, or a G-System, or maybe even the FireworX unit.

There is a lot of wrong information being passed along on this thread regarding the G-Major. The G-Major actually has the same sound quality and equally good AD/DA converters as the G-Force.

Here are the main differences between the two units as quoted from the T.C. Electronic web site:

Main differences between G-Force and G-Major are:

• The G-Force has a speaker emulator - the G-Major does not.
  • The G-Force has an intelligent pitch shifter (harmonizer) - the G-Major has a normal pitch shifter.
  • Where in the G-Force the sequence of the algorithms can be altered in the effects matrix, the order of the FX in the G-Major is fixed. This has both advantages and disadvantages. In the G-Force, the FX routing is more flexible, whereas the G-Major has faster switching, because of the fixed routing of the effect blocks.
  • The G-Major incorporates analog relay switching of non-MIDI combos or pre-amps. This way you can access your amp's channel switching from within your G-Major presets. This function is not avaliable in the G-Force.
  • Both units can be controlled via any MIDI controller board that supports Program Change and Control Change Messages (a.k.a. MIDI CC).
  • You cannot connect a guitar or bass directly into the G-Major. The G-Force has a high input impedance which makes this possible.
    - however, the G-Force is not a guitar pre-amp and we recommend that you use the G-Force with a pre-amp or in your effects loop of your amp.
  • Price: The G-Force is more expensive than the G-Major. Over the years however, DSP technology has evolved quite a bit. This makes it possible for us to deliver the same sound quality at a lower price level. - We did not compromise on AD/DA converters or FX quality.

Different things for different ears - the Rocktron units are major tonesuckers to me - I think the converters suck compared to the TCs.
Dear friend I couldn´t believe it. Even if I was under the water and couldn´t hear any difference between the two processors there is a tecnology fact that contradiced to you.
On the block diagram of the rocktron you can see that there is a parameter called mix that it manages the mix between dry/wet process.
You can see that this parameter acts on a analog enviroment taking the dry signal directly to the inputs and skipping all the converters.
It just like a true bypass if you put the mix on dry signal you could hear perfectly the same signal it was on the inputs, because it is a direct link, a direct cable that acts like a wire on your loop fx.
For this reason it is imposible to you to hear something strange with the converters, etc...
On the other hand gmajor ever processed the signal even if you say that you want a dry signal it converts to digital and the it reconverts to analog, then an AD/DA conversion is suffered and the tone depends mainly about this converters.
I think that maybe you are agree with your tone of the gmajor and when you hear new equiment maybe it results funny to you.
But there is a great true. The intellifex do a real analog bypass.
If you don´t believe me please refers to intellifex manual and see the block diagram :wink:

fatboy135 said:
The intellifex do a real analog bypass.
If you don´t believe me please refers to intellifex manual and see the block diagram :wink:

That's great that the Intellifex unit sounds good when it's bypassed, but I personally care more about the transparency of the signal while the unit is not being bypassed. All I know is that when I have my G-Major in the loop with the effects on, it is very transparent. The character of the amps tone stays true. Granted the transparency depends on the effect you are using, but I use my G-Major only for reverb and delay. I did have the opportunity to play through my friends Intelliflex and I didn't care for it. The signal sounds way over processed to me, but maybe he just wasn’t very good at creating patches. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

There was only one product that Rocktron made that I liked , check them out if you can find them...the MAXE preamp.
Those are something speacial! i just can`t seem to justify lettin mine go

Latest posts

Back