GEQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhsbhswarp

Reaction score
Does anybody else find this useless?When I use mine it seems to give the amp a solid state feel and tonality.How are you using yours??

I have a DC-5 and have experimented with it in both channels. In the last few months I have been using it on the Lead Channel only. I found that I just didn't need it for the Rhythm channel with a very mild dirty clean sound. For the Lead channel it makes it so versatile, especially with the middle slider, the 750 I think it is.

This may sound strange, but are you sure you have it enabled on the back of the amp? Assuming the DC-3 is like the DC-5 with the selector switch. I say this because several months ago I was playing and it occurred to me that my amp didn't sound the same it was different. I played this way for about 30 minutes, stopped, and checked everything out... When I looked at the back of the amp I noticed the GEQ selector was set to off essentially. I move it back to on and the amp was back to what I was used to. My youngest son has been in the room with me while the amp was off and had turned the switch on the back turning it off. I know this, because 1 1/2 year olds love all those knobs!

I don't know may be this could be your case... Worth a look though just in case.

I know a lot of guys use it for a solo boost, but I like to use it to shape the lead channel getting more character out of it. Especially for those scooped sounds! Which is fun to do once in awhile. I generally use a very subtle V shape, especially with the middle slider, moving it down to go scooped and just below the middle line for generally all my Lead channel playing. Using it like an additional presence control, if you will, with the slider moved towards the middle position of the GEQ for a more open sound.

How are you running it?

Best regards,
Erick

I leave mine on all the time with a decent V going. The amp is mid heavy-especially with the stock V30. Bob

When I had my DC-5 I used it as a solo boost. Worked great. Will probably do the same thing when my DC-10 arrives.

I m finding the 750 slider to be useful,But yeah,I don't seem to find it working out on the clean channel at all.I've got it set to lead channel on the back of the amp.I did try the "V"setting in the manual,which was cool for the "Metalz tonez".It just seems to take away from the natural tone some how.I can't quite explain.Maybe I'll try a different speaker and see how that goes.I like the tone of the amp without the EQ going ,but thought sense it's there I should see if I can utilize it.Maybe using it as a lead boost is the ticket for me,or maybe I'm over doing it(I've been known to do this) :lol:

bhsbhswarp said:
I m finding the 750 slider to be useful,But yeah,I don't seem to find it working out on the clean channel at all.I've got it set to lead channel on the back of the amp.I did try the "V"setting in the manual,which was cool for the "Metalz tonez".It just seems to take away from the natural tone some how.I can't quite explain.Maybe I'll try a different speaker and see how that goes.I like the tone of the amp without the EQ going ,but thought sense it's there I should see if I can utilize it.Maybe using it as a lead boost is the ticket for me,or maybe I'm over doing it(I've been known to do this) :lol:

We all hear differently. I dont like the tone on either channel with the GEQ off. Too bad since it would be nice as a lead boost. Bob

Ok,got some things sorted out here now.After reading a bunch of older post here I've dropped my bass down quite a bit(around 4 3/4 on the dial)boosted the bottom on the EQ and scooped out the 750 a bit.Ran the 6600 up a bit to give it more bite.Swapped out my Peavey Scorpion speaker for a Black Shadow.Now I'm gettin' er. :D
Man this thing is screamin' now.

The GEQ is huge, positively monumental, in lending these and Marks their tonal versatility. Agreed, not terribly necessary in the Clean channel, but really offers you tonal control over the Lead channel. May I respectfully offer that if you do not find the GEQ useful,, you either gravitate to a single sound, or you do not really know how to use a GEQ (as in you are not sure what you're hearing in each frequency as opposed to indiscriminatly sliding faders ...which is no slam, really, as it takes time and practice to really understand how frequencies sound).

Edward

I know my way around a EQ,been around for a while.Once I get the amp cooking it's more responsive.Now a big thing with me which I'll try to get ahold of is a attenuator for this beast.I like some power tube breakup in my tone,but this amp is insanely loud at that point.My other guitarist has a Marshall 50 watt combo,and the boogie just kills it. :mrgreen:

Typical settings for mine. Bob

24enthg.jpg

Hey Bob,
thats about were I've ended up with the EQ.thanks for the pic.And your right about it sounding better with the EQ now that I've used it for a while.

Well, tone is totally subjective so likes or dislikes really cant be right or wrong. People are always trying to push what they percieve as "correct"-myself included but Im getting better at understanding my perception,is,well,mine! lol!
An interesting thing about the brain and sound perception is that it "adjusts" to things. I bet if you listened for a while with it off and then went back it would take a while (again) to get used to! Bob

In my opinion, the whole scooped V thing sounds completely terrible. The GEQ is awesome, however, for taming those monstrous, booming, sometimes muddy lows. This and adjustments according to speakers make it very useful, although for different reasons that you'd expect.

I use a DC-10, though, so I probably have more problems with the lows than with an EL84 combo.

Dc10 is a different monster then the DC3.Never had a 10 in front of me to check out,but I do love those big bottle's of tone.

adamlanghans said:
In my opinion, the whole scooped V thing sounds completely terrible. The GEQ is awesome, however, for taming those monstrous, booming, sometimes muddy lows. This and adjustments according to speakers make it very useful, although for different reasons that you'd expect.

I use a DC-10, though, so I probably have more problems with the lows than with an EL84 combo.

Yeah Im not into scooped sounds,per say, either. To my ears I have to use a V-ish curve with my V-30 loaded DC-3 to counteract an otherwise very mid heavy amp. Thats ,of course, my ears.

For instance- I have an GEQ pedal on my pedalboard that I use in the loop of some of my other amps for final tone tweaking. Never have I set it V shaped like the EQ on the DC-3. Bob

BobR said:
adamlanghans said:

Yeah Im not into scooped sounds,per say, either. To my ears I have to use a V-ish curve with my V-30 loaded DC-3 to counteract an otherwise very mid heavy amp. Thats ,of course, my ears.

For instance- I have an GEQ pedal on my pedalboard that I use in the loop of some of my other amps for final tone tweaking. Never have I set it V shaped like the EQ on the DC-3. Bob

Well, there are lots of factors, but I'm using 4x12 cab with V30s and I barely touch the GEQ mids. For reference, I am in a progressive death metal-ish sort of band. We always get multiple compliments on our live guitar tones.

adamlanghans said:
BobR said:
adamlanghans said:

Well, there are lots of factors, but I'm using 4x12 cab with V30s and I barely touch the GEQ mids. For reference, I am in a progressive death metal-ish sort of band. We always get multiple compliments on our live guitar tones.

Different amps,cabs and ears! : > ) Bob

Latest posts

Back