Frizzy distortion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el34

Reaction score
I read about using a 12at7 or 5751 in the pi to help smooth the distortion in the Dc's. Any thoughts on this one?

Yes, this will work. The amplification factor of a 12AX7 is almost double that of the AT7. Here's the only thing....because of the gain structure of the amp, it might tend to give it a "drier" sound with slightly less sustain. That might be what you like. Remember the tonal characteristics of every amplifier are directly related to gain structure or amplification between stages. Try it, can't hurt anything.

12AT7's dont generally sub well tone-wise for a 12AX7. This is due to the other specs of the tube other than gain. The Mullard CV4024 is a noteworthy exception and fairly cheap NOS still.
Fizzy is subjective but I wouldnt call my DC-3 fizzy.It can get a bit fizzy depending on my speaker choice,tube compliment and settings but it can also produce serious bark without the fizz. Nasty rock machine! Bob

Yes, give it a try. You can tame the OD "fizz" with either a 5751 or AT7 (and I also highly recommend the NOS Mullard CV4024 as a great tube tone at very reasonable prices). You can try it in the PI spot, to be sure, and it will make the most difference here, and will smooth out your Clean channel as well. Know that you will have less overall OD, but with this amp you still have lots of OD on tap anyway (depending ou your music style, of course).

But also try these tube swaps in the V2, which is the 1st/2nd gain stages for just the Lead Channel, leaving your Clean Channel unaffected.

You can also try it in V1, which like a swap in the PI position will affect the amp globally ...but you may like what it does.

As you can see, there are lots of possible combinations here, so take your time, and be objective. Maybe it's just my musical preferences, but I have found that "gaining down" Boogies in general yields a smoother voice that is more liquidy and pleasing ...less aggressive, if you will, and perfect for classic rock, bluesy, and contemp pop. But you can also gain-down too much, and you will immediately notice a lack of guts and authority in the tone ...now you know to go back "up" and find your sweetspot. The combinations you like best is the right combination. I did the tube swap dance many years ago and it transformed my DC5 from an amp I really liked into an amp I love ...clearly for the gorgeous tone, but exually important is the tonal versatility I get from being able to adjust each channel's voice via tube swaps. Again, be objective, take your time, and enjoy the tone hunt!

Edward

Edward,
Thanks for the good tube advice. I put a JAN Philips 5751 in the phase inverter and what a difference it made. It made the difference that I was looking for. Have you tried the Mullard reissue 12ax7?

Cool, glad that worked for you! Yup, I love 5751s, and PI changes are the single biggest tone changer spot.

As for the Mullard RI, no I have not. I have tried (and do use) the Tung-Sol 12ax7 RI, though ...nice sounding tube.

Edward

Latest posts

Back