Forever to warm up new tubes on a Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopp

Reaction score
At rehearsal last night, the first hour or so felt like pulling teeth trying to get a fluid sound out of my Mark IV. Even the singer commented on the problem with my tone. After two hours, everything started to flow.

I just had the power tubes retubed and am not too sure if the new tubes need breaking in with longer warm up periods or what. Anyone else experience this with new tubes?

I think the amp, as a whole, just needs to warm up some. I've played my Mark III for Many years, and it always seems to sound better (less "cold" or "stiff" sounding") after a couple sets. So much so that If I'm playing in an air-conditioned environment, I don't use the Stand-By switch for the first couple breaks.

Are the new tubes M/B tubes or within M/B specs ? Tubes don't need any breaking in, beyond what is done at the factory. They should sound great from the start, if they don't there's something wrong ! After two hours it's probably your ears making it sound better !

don't discount the fact that you were in a room with loud music for 2 hours and your ears are going to respond differently after a while. plus, you said they're newer tubes and it takes time to get used to the changes in tone, as slight as they may be. the gear is only half of the equation after all.

Latest posts

Back