Fishman power bridge

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad100hd

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on the fishman power bridge. They want me to play acoustic at church, when our worship leader leaves and take over his spot. I would rather play my electric and get an acoustic sound out of it instead. That way for some things i can still rock out. I would be putting this on on a faded sg.

You do realize it's not going to give you a "mic'ed" acoustic sound but rather an acoustic w/ a transducer ala "Dave Matthews Band". It sounds like those typical live concert where you see the musicians w/ an acoustic guitar and there's a chord plug into the acoustic guitar.

Now what I experience with mine (Tele version), if you are putting them in your Tele, you may lose some of the Tele bite mojo depending what your initial saddles are. This also depends on your tolerance of hearing.

I previously had a brass milled Tele bridge assembly, and when I place the Fishman assembly, I lost some of the Tele bite twang. So if you currently using say a Barden, or Glendale or Callaham bridge assembly, or say some cold rolled steal bridge, you may lose some Tele mojo.

As far as the Fishman unit for the Strat, I don't know.

Second advice, get the battery preamp, the chip. You'll have better control at your finger tip.

Although I sound like I rate it thumbs down, I kind like it. You have this option when you want it.

If i were to use my acoustic guitar i'd still be plugged in with a piezo pickup. Would you say it sounds as good as most acoustic guitars with piezo pickups? It will be the tune-o-matic bridge version.

nomad100hd said:
If i were to use my acoustic guitar i'd still be plugged in with a piezo pickup. Would you say it sounds as good as most acoustic guitars with piezo pickups? It will be the tune-o-matic bridge version.
Yeah, that's about what it will sound like. Well I'm using it on a f-hole Thinline Tele type guitar (Warmoth to be specific). So whether it has some acoustic properties, well maybe.

Mine has the battery Power Chip preamp. It could get fairly boomy like an acoustic. You do realize it has TRS jack so you could split the signals for that option.

Personally I think its a cool feature to have. Its just the hassle of getting a battery in the electronic cavity if you get the Power Chip.

Is it a Les Paul or Les Paul type? Because Les Paul or LP type guitars has a carved top and has long shaft pots and the Power Chip is short pot, unless they do have a long pot version.

I was thinking of putting it in my faded SG, since it has a mellower sound, and would be better for church. I don't really want to put it in my Epiphone ZW. The Epiphone bridge is different than the Gibson bridge and the fishman.

Do'h, you mentioned it was on going to be on an SG. :oops:

Well, go fer it! I get the impression you got an idea what it will sound like. But I do recommend a power preamp whether its Power Chip or an outboard gear. :p

i have a feelign it would sound like an acoustic electric, but i read bad reviews on harmony central and just wondered if they were using it right and comparing it to an acoustic electric or a mic'ed acoustic.

Thank for the help

On Harmony Central, were these bad reviews was because they had this unreasonable expectation of a great sounding recording studio of a mic'ed acoustic? When I bought mine, I kind of knew what to expect. I knew it was NOT going to sound like a mic'ed acoustic.

Did they compare it with a Braggs equivalent?

On this bulletin board on the "Recording" forum. I would check out some of the module interfaces some of us members use 'cause I want to post up some clips. And I think some of these clips sound pretty good with these affordable interface modules used. Yet these modules would get low reviews on Harmony Central. Again, were they expecting performance of $10k studio?

I can't really can say if it will full-filled your needs.

I will say Taylor did make this 3 transducer system that they claimed sound like a mic'ed acoustic that got great reviews and may license or offer to other acoustic guitar builders.

The Fishman power bridge sounds awesome on my Tom Anderson Drop Top. It -sort of- sounds like an acoustic, enough most likely that no one will worry about the difference.

The differences are primarily because of:

1. The electric will have nickel plated instead of phospher bronze or bronze acoustic strings. Acoustic strings are much stiffer at the same gauge.

2. The electric also sustains way longer than an acoustic (due to strings and construction), so depending on how 'punchy' your acoustic playing is, it may get in the way.

3. Lack of body resonance is obviously a factor on the electric, but IMO, does not make as much difference as the above two.

Irrespective of whether or not you're trying to emulate an acoustic, what does sound awesome is dual amping your guitar. ie. sending the mag pickups into a clean electric amp, and the piezos into an acoustic amp. This produces a great sounding (albeit, not really acoustic) result.

Back