First Rack

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kflow

Reaction score
Here is what I have picked up on ebay in the last few days.

DBX 166XL compressor, DBX 231 EQ, G-Major, GXC switcher, and Monster 2500.

I am running them like this.

guitar>maxon OD808>166XL>Mesa Triple - all via the GCX

Effects loop>DBX231>Gmajor - also via the GCX

I use the #1 channel of the 166XL and the EQ for cleans and CH2 of each for the dirty. I will have all in the rack soon with pics.

I have never had a rack unit before with all these effects and I must say that each make my tone come allive. Even the power conditioner made everything sound so much more crisp I can't believe it. I have alot of tweaking to do, but I am on my way to the infamous tone in my head.

I have a question about tone shaping. Should I try to get the best possible tone out of the head, then shape it with the maxon 808 then the compressor, then the EQ and so on?

Orrr... I have heard I should boost the mids on the amp. Basically making it sound like **** and shape it with everything else after that?

I think it is always better to try and get the best possible tone out of an amp before shaping it with an EQ. EQ is the most helpful effect unit ever invented, but it won't really compensate too much if the tone is already bad.

Latest posts

Back