Finally got my hands on an Early '90s Dual Recto - Help ID

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O==00==O

Reaction score
Well, finally got the chance to own the amp that made me fall in love with Mesa's Recto tone from the beginning of my days as a teenager... and I was wondering what you guys know about this particular one. I JUST received it today so I haven't had a chance to peek inside, but from the outside, here's the deal in a series of pics that I took (Mesa doesn't have a record of this amp, I called):
t1yi.JPG

and two different ones of the top of the power xformer:

21fo.jpg

n3fm.jpg

lastly, the numbers on the OT:
d4na.jpg

Is that a Mark III tranny? Who made the xformers in these? The company in Chicago?

O==00==O said:
Is that a Mark III tranny? Who made the xformers in these? The company in Chicago?

Mark III tranny stopped around SN 2200.

From what I've read over the years the circuit has more to do with the tone than the tranny, so a Rev F will sound like a Rev F. So far as I remember when they ran out of Mark III transformers they started using the one from the Mark IV, but I can't remember the code for that one.

screamingdaisy said:
From what I've read over the years the circuit has more to do with the tone than the tranny, so a Rev F will sound like a Rev F.
This circuit difference has been puzzling me for some time now.

So far the community has found out that the Rev C and D key differences to Rev G were: 1) no LDRs on preamp cathodes, 2) somewhat differently wired first gain stage and 3) higher presence pot value. On Rev E the LDRs can already be seen on the cathodes and the first gain stage seems to be identical to rev G. So does anyone have any idea what are the main circuit differences that made the Rev E and F sound different to Rev G?

Shemham said:

So far the community has found out that the Rev C and D key differences to Rev G were: 1) no LDRs on preamp cathodes, 2) somewhat differently wired first gain stage and 3) higher presence pot value. On Rev E the LDRs can already be seen on the cathodes and the first gain stage seems to be identical to rev G. So does anyone have any idea what are the main circuit differences that made the Rev E and F sound different to Rev G?

I'm not up on the circuit differences so I'll stick with what I know:

The biggest sonic difference between my Rev F and later Rectos is the extreme low end. My Roadster on Modern for instance has a deep low end that my Rev F totally lacks.

I find it of interest because the Mark IV was the first Mark to have an extended low end. I think I read they voiced the Mark to have a full octave below what they typically voice, and that modern mode [presence pot pulled] on a Mark IV was two full octaves.

Maybe there's a clue to be had there? It's not uncommon for technology to cross platforms at Mesa.

O==00==O said:
Well, finally got the chance to own the amp that made me fall in love with Mesa's Recto tone from the beginning of my days as a teenager... and I was wondering what you guys know about this particular one. I JUST received it today so I haven't had a chance to peek inside, but from the outside, here's the deal in a series of pics that I took (Mesa doesn't have a record of this amp, I called):

and two different ones of the top of the power xformer:

lastly, the numbers on the OT:

Congrats on the Rev F. Recto. I love them. They are my favorite mesas. I have 2 currently, a dual rackmount and a triple head. I will never sell either.
You scored!!!

screamingdaisy said:
Shemham said:

I'm not up on the circuit differences so I'll stick with what I know:

The biggest sonic difference between my Rev F and later Rectos is the extreme low end. My Roadster on Modern for instance has a deep low end that my Rev F totally lacks.

I find it of interest because the Mark IV was the first Mark to have an extended low end. I think I read they voiced the Mark to have a full octave below what they typically voice, and that modern mode [presence pot pulled] on a Mark IV was two full octaves.

Maybe there's a clue to be had there? It's not uncommon for technology to cross platforms at Mesa.

I did not know this. Thanks for sharing. Incidentally I used to run my triple rev f. with an intellifex with the pitch shifter set to one octave below. I liked it so much that it became one of my "go to" tones for rhythm while I was touring. Makes a bit of sense considering your observation.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you!!!!!

And there is some good info in this thread, as well. I learned :wink:

Latest posts

Back