Favorite OD or Distortion pedals.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny

Reaction score
lately, I really like the Butler Tube Driver, Tuber Screamer TS-808, and one i recently picked up, ZVEX Box Of Rock ( very good) all doffrent but fun'
LM

It depends on the amp, but I've always liked the Tubescreamer based designs (TS9, TS808, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Xotic BB Preamp, etc.) The Fulltone OCD sounds pretty good too. I love Hendrix, so i'm fond of a great sounding Fuzz too. Stompboxes can very quickly become not only an addiction but an obsession, so be careful.

I agree with Mr Fender - it depends on the amp. With my current setup (Stiletto) im loving my Paul C Timmy and my Dano CTO-1(simular to the Timmy). They make my Trident come to life and they are the only pedals ive heard that dont thin out the tone. The stiletto is already super bright and needs fattening up. I run the volume maxed and the gain at about 9 oclock.

Im running a modified TS-7 (cheap tone lok tubescreamer, total sleeper hehe) and I love it!

lerxst88 said:
Im running a modified TS-7 (cheap tone lok tubescreamer, total sleeper hehe) and I love it!
Ive heard a modded ts7 before. sounded like an 808. I ran a SD-1 i picked up for $13 stock for many moons.

Barber DDSS....
the tube screamer killer.

(or so they say...........)
SuperSmed.jpg

New internal controls- The Super Sport Direct Drive can dial in Note Shape, Harmonics, Bass, Midrange and presence.

True bypass switching with led indicator- this is achieved by using an high grade switch, in addendum Solid 20 gauge copper hookup wire is used between the jacks and switching to create a transparent bypass.

Full size pots- for durability and for easy serviceability if needed.

Hand made in the B-Custom shop-Ronni crafts each Super Sport in the Custom shop located in Baltimore.

Double sided pc board with plate through holes-This is the way the military does it when they want electronics to work FOREVER! all pedals should be made this way , few are...

Ready for 18 volt operation-The Super Sport operates from 9 volts to 18 volts, this allows use of higher voltage converters and supplies, for players who want to try higher voltage tweaks.

Barber adjustable phono style recovery stage- Most of our op-amp based overdrive pedals use a cool old style phonograph circuit to recover the frequencies lost in the overdrive stage, this worked great for vinyl and now works great for guitar overdrive!

The Barber Super Sport is available for an introductory price of $139.95

http://www.barberelectronics.com/supersportdd.html

keeley modded TS9! aside from the super bright blue led, you get more range on the knobs and better crunch from it! i love it!

been loving the maxon od808 in front of the roadster.

yesterday, PRS tremonti into a maxon into the roadster...drop d tuning.

Lovely metal goodness....... :D

Absolutely depends on the amp.

my fav's are

Bad Monkey
TS9
Fulltone Full Drive 2

Runner up
Digitech Hard Wire Tube OD
and
Wyle OD

DS1 and Super OD are towards the bottom of my list....

Just as a note: the DS1 sounds awesome in front of a VHT pittbull!

My go-to is the MI Audio Blue Boy (TS-9 variant). Crunch Box is good, too, for Marshall sounds.
I'm also trying out the Tech 21 Character Series. I have the Blonde (Fender) and the Liverpool (AC-30). Tremendous EQ and overdrive ranges. Squeaky Blackface to cranked Tweed and chimey Beatles to Brian May total saturation.
The Boss FZ-5 is a guilty pleasure. It does the silicon FuzzFace, the Maestro FZ-1 ("Satisfaction"), and is about 90% there on the Octavia sound.
It really does depend on the amp, and how the amp is set. Sometimes you want to run a OD pedal into a clean amp, and sometimes (usually) they sound better when the amp is starting to breakup.
Agreed, the Cool Cat Transparent OD is the best TS-9 clone bang-for-the-buck.
$40 bucks! Them teeny knobs is hard to get at, though.

Latest posts

Back