Favorite Mesa Boogie Amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArriaga88

Reaction score
Hello All! i have a Mesa Dual Rec and man oh man i love this thing!!! i had a jcm2000 dsl100 before this and i just couldnt get what i wanted out of it.

So, what is your favorite boogie amp? and what makes it better/different? cant wait to hear all your opinions!

Cheers! :mrgreen:

My favorite Boogie amp?
Depends on my mood. :lol:

I've owned a Triaxis/2:90 rig, a Mark IV, and currently own a Roadster. I've played many Dual and Triple Rectos, an ElectraDyne, Stiletto, MarkII, III, and V, an S.O.B., and a Nomad.

So far it's the Roadster for me but the Mark V is a close second.

My main reason other than it simply sounds the best to me is that the Roadster is a great gigging amp. Four channels that all sound great and can be set up as four different amps pretty much makes any modeler obsolete. At least for my needs. I've never played a gig that required much more than clean, crunch, and lead boost so the Roadster has me covered and gives me two additional channels. Other features that make my life easier are the foot switchable fx loop that's also assignable per channel, power and rectifier options per channel, and the solo boost.

I really like the Mark series but every time I play one there is just something missing to me that the Roadster seems to fill. I guess I'm just a Recto guy.

My C+ is the one I'll never sell. Recently picked-up a DC-3 that will be my main gigging amp.

But....I recently played a Subway Rocket, and was totally blown away by the lead channel. Effortless classic Boogie saturation and liquid sustain. Too much of a one-trick pony for me, but that lead sound...!!

This is a really tough question to answer. Of the boogies I've tried, I like quite a few of them. My current favourite is the Electra Dyne but I like my old Recto as well. It does metal, which is very helpful!

I've tried a Mark V and I absolutely love the feel of it but I can't afford one and I don't want to get rid of the mesas I do have. Besides, the other guitarist in my band has a Mark V so between the two of us, we have a massive wall of sound!!

For me the Mark V. I've owned the Tverb and RKII, also great amps but the V's the one for me.

A tricky question.

Looking back at two of the founding fathers of the Mesa high-gain amp families, Mark IIc+ and the very first Rectifiers, they got so many things right you would think those two could not be improved upon.
Yet they tried. New versions added more options, modernized the sound and so on. The current flagship models - Mark V and Road King - make the early Marks and Rectifiers look like one-trick ponies in comparison. Which they aren't by any means! It's just that the newer models have such ridiculous amounts of features and sonic options built in. OTOH, at the same time, one may feel that their fundamental sound has drifted quite a long way from the early perfection.

I feel that the early models had something special that hasn't been really reproduced since. However, for a desert island amp, if I had to pick just one, I'd take a Road King + 4x12. (And then look stupid trying to find an outlet.)

wow, so many options and much love to give :mrgreen:

as much i love my mkIV and my stiletto, my choice will be my trusty, reliable, awesome MKIII blue stripe. this thing sings, screams, purrs and talk. effortless.

it can sounds like a Fender, silver or black face. Throw in a pair of EL34s and flick to class A and beats any marshall to the ground plus it has that unmistakable boogie lead.

just other day on of my sons asked me which piece of gear i will never ever sell, no matter what happens in my life and i said "the old black amp head with a 'boogie" badge on it", the EV loaded thiele and my Gibby LP Custom. it's all that I really need 8)

I had a single recto combo and I currently own a 5:25 combo and a Mark V head. Love them all but the mark V seems to be and endless source of amazement. I keep finding new great tones at any volume. Can't believe it turned out to be also a bedroom amp!

multi-watt triple rectifier for power and girth
two-channel dual for thicker sludgy mids
single series2 for lightweight awesomeness

I had a Triple Rec for about 10 years and figured I'd never sell it. But as I got older my playing style changed and I started to want something more versatile with regard to clean tones. I tried a rack setup with a Rectifier Preamp for dirty and Studio Preamp for clean, but it didn't have the "life" of a head for some reason so I ditched that and got a Rect-o-verb but didn't keep it very long (3 weeks?). I then switched to a Roadster and never looked back. I love it. Best head I've ever owned. I've been able to get any type of tone I could want out of it.

For me, it goes between the Electra Dyne, and my Road King II and Tremoverb. I've played other Duals (Road Kings, original 2 channels, Reborns, etc.), all of the Marks, Stilettos, Lone Stars, and Nomads, but I really like those three.

Latest posts

Back