Express or LC50????? How good are Boogie really?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKBoogieboy

Reaction score
I read a post from an American guy asking which is the better amp choice Laney or Mesa Boogie, I couldn't believe it, thats like asking if he should buy a mini or a Ferrari, AND THE SAME PRICE DIFFERENCE! You can buy about 3 Laney LC50's for one Express. BUT in America the Boogies are cheap and Laney is more expensive than in the UK so the price evens out, BUT........
We think here in the UK that Boogie are top elite makers, and Marshall, laney are average, because the Boogies are so expensive but if this guy was looking at a Boogie and a Laney and trying to decide does that mean that Boogie don't have the same status in the USA as in the UK.
Do we here only think they are so much better because they are 3 times the price of a UK made amp, I read a review on the Express from an American magazine saying it was just above budget level, WHAT!!!!!!! A budget price for a valve amp is around £400, the Express is around £1500.

So the question is how do all these amp makes measure up against each other because if you go on the price differences as a quality ruler it changes depending on is you are in the USA or UK.

Because a UK amp costing 3 times less than a Boogie here in the UK can end up almost the same price as a Boogie in the USA as the Boogies are HALF the price they are here, and UK amp are more expensive in the USA.

How do we really compare if the prices change so much?

Simple...... dont base your comparisons on prices.

I have a $1200 dollar USA made Mesa amp, I'll never let go of it, as far as I can see right now. I love it.

I had a $500 dollar Canada made Traynor amp, sold it, regretted it ever since. Never shoulda got rid of that thing.

I have a $600 dollar Frenzel amp that is awesome, does one thing really well but it does it so well that no other amp I've ever had will do that, not even the Mesa. So I'm keeping it.

I've played $3000 dollar USA made amps that were not any better than my Mesa (except they had better stock speakers, but I was using a cab for all of them)

I've played $3000 dollar amps made in Asia that could not get the sound I got outa that $500 dollar Traynor.

I had a $400 dollar Fender Red Knob Twin that coulda kicked butt for that price, but I'm glad I got rid of it. There are things I miss about having a $360 dollar Vox hybrid, but it wasn't worth keeping.

Dont go by price, compare based on sound..... then decide if it's worth it to you.

It's all about your ear and what works for you.

Personally I know nothing about Laney amps, but I can tell you why I choose the Express. The Express is a great sounding amp for sure and very versatile. For me it covers all sounds from Fender through Marshall (And Boogie too). Of course it is no Fender or Marshall, but I can get all the tone I need from this one amp.

I also have a fender Blues junior which is not a bad amp, but it is a one trick pony in comparison and I can always get a better tone with the Express.

If I could only have one amp it would be Express without any doubt. Versatility is a huge stregth of the Express. The only down side for me is that it can take a bit longer to set up a tone. The manual has the best information on how to set up I've seen for any amp and is an important reference to getting the most out of it.

Definitely all about your ears. I couldn't get the Mark V to sound anywhere near as good as the Express. And call me crazy, but if the Peavey Windsor wasn't so muddy sounding, I'd pick one up.

I also thought it was funny that some people called the Express a budget amp. Even in the states, $1,100 isn't a budget amp. By Boogie standards it's budget, but that's like saying that a $800,000 mansion is a budget house.

I agree that you really can't go by price. Stuff built in the USA is typically more expensive due to the relatively higher labor costs. That's why crap made in China typically sells for less. Now I've had my share of frustrations with the Express but it sounds so good I won't get rid of of it......and that's why I bought it....cause it sounds so good. The Express is very versatile and I was reminded just how good an amp it is when I was forced to play through my Blues Junior recently. It all comes down to what sounds good to you. If the Express gives you the tones you need, buy it. Ditto the Laney.

Hey Guys,

I agree with Soundchaser 59.

I think we mature sound wise and once we do, what sounded good 2 years ago now sounds yuk.

I had a Mesa Mk3, loved it, had it for 10 years, then one day I just said I need a more versatile amp, had a lot of trouble with levels. So traded it on a Rockman XP100 which is now regarded as a collectors amp. Man I loved a lot of the tones from this Transistor amp, fully programmable, had the best cleans and sustained for days. But again wanted something tube, bought a Boss GT6 added this to my Rockman, then sold the Rockman, bought a Mesa Boogie Triaxis hated it sold it in one month. Bought a ADA MP-1 Modded it 3TM, didn't like it as much after that. Bought a ENGL 50 watt Screamer love/hate. Sold it bought a Marshall JVM 4100, I love it, still do, but 2 x 12" Speakers, 100watt, it was too big, too loud, too bloody heavy for me but talk about tone, midi programmable, but I found I only used 3 sounds, Clean, Heavy Rhythm, Lead solo. So needed a smaller combo, tried a lot of amps then came across a Boogie Express 5:25 love the tone and has only gotten better.

Sorry for the long Post, left out my amp-less time, Boss GT6, Vox Tonelab, Boss GT8 years when I didn't have an amp at all, play with this and a small PA monitor.

I would have to say I am really happy with everything right now.

Gezza.

Latest posts

Back