Express 5:50 w/ THD hot plate question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't understand what your problem is also. In the 5 watt mode I have the volume at about 8 oclock and the gain at about 10 oclock and it works fine for home.

Most Mesa amps seem to have a sweet spot at about 50 percent volume - you should be able to operate the amp at this volume w/the Hot Plate (TM) without a problem. You WILL, however, be pushing your power tubes fairly hard and you will wear them out a lot faster.

I use one for my F-50 and I like it a lot. Keep in mind if you are going to try and get power tube distortion at bedroom volumes it isn't going to work out very well - the more you attenuate the more tone you suck. I've found that it works well at -8/-12 db with the master around 10 o'clock.

I have a Mesa 5:50 2x12 combo and an 8ohm (purple) Hotplate.

The Express amps do have seperate gain and master volumes. In 5 watt mode, you should be able to easily find good tone at in home volumes. I use the 5 watt mode most of the time and don't really need to Hotplate, but it's nice to have when I crank the overdrive (pedals) and/or gain.

Charlie said:
Most Mesa amps seem to have a sweet spot at about 50 percent volume - you should be able to operate the amp at this volume w/the Hot Plate (TM) without a problem. You WILL, however, be pushing your power tubes fairly hard and you will wear them out a lot faster.
+1 as a rule of thumb with my twin jcm800's you will wear out your power tubes according the the volume set on the amp. If you run you amp at 7, thats where its runnin' dont matter how far you drop it down....just my .02

rabies said:
On Stiletto's and Recto's, for example, if you use the bypass switch in the back, the amp will essentially "lose" the output knob and behave like this express series in terms of volume control.
THD Hot plate is a very popular power attenuator.

Ok thanks - I've never used a power attenuator.

Will the Stelletto & Recto's give you fully saturated high gain distortion tones at bedroom volumes levels without an attenuator ??? I've only ever used em on stage. I'm impressed if they will.

With home use on the 5:50 I agree it's too loud if you crank the gain past 2 oclock on the burn channel. To get real high gain at bedroom volumes I stick a Metal Muff stomp in front or connect my GT8. Better/cheaper than a power attenuator. :D

Latest posts

Back