Express 5:25 Do I get the 1x10 or the 1x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfchild

Reaction score
Which of the two amps do you guys think is the pick of these two options? I'm possibly being swayed by the portability of the 1x10 - any significant differences in sound? The amp will be mainly for rehearsal/practice but may also see some serious gig time as well.

W.

You'd be amazed at how small and portable the 1x12 version is. It's only about 3" wider than the Cube 60 that I was using before. FYI dimensions are 19"W x 17"H x 11"D, incredibly small for such a full sounding amp.

I spent a lot of time with the 10" 5:25 in the shop I really wanted to buy it as I have always had 12" speakers. When I tried the 12" it soon became apparent that it was better in a number of places and the quality of the top end where the 10s are normally good was so small it ceased to matter.

What I think it really comes down to is that the 12" v30 is just a better speaker than the 10" Eminence. There are much better choices of 10" speakers around, but it is still a pain to buy and try till you get the right one.

OK, just to give you an alternate view.

I bought a 10" speaker amp, and put a 10" Weber alnico Blue Pup in it. I also have a 12" Blue Dog that I've put the amp through to compare.

The 10" holds its own quite well. I get plenty of bottom end (hey, this amp doesn't need help in that department!) I honestly don't miss having a 12" speaker!

Thanks for the advice. One sticking point for me regarding the 12" is that I've never really been a fan of the V30. Yes, I know you can swap the speaker but I went down that route with my MKIII and was still never happy with it. This time I'm inclined to go with an amp that I'm happy with from the off rather than chasing some holy grail with mods and upgrades.

Having said that, I've just found a 1x12 for significantly less that the 1x10 so may have to pull the trigger on that...

I agree, you really shouldn't have to change out speakers on these amps. Both the 10" and 12" have plenty of bass for me, so the choice didn't come down to that. I have since replaced the speaker in my amp with an MC90 and while that is an improvement for me, I am still thinking about what may go in next. My Mashall quad with the G12T75 is still better.

Some people have complained about the stock 10 farting out when pushed. You would have to play one loud and see if that is a porblem for you.

Another vote for the 1x12.
Played them side by side at the local GC.
The 12 sounded better.

Get the 1x12. I have an 5:50 1x12 combo and it only weighs 56lbs. It's really not bad carrying it around. It is heavy, but it's not ridiculous.

Also, you should try out the 5:50 as well. The 6L6 tubes have a really nice clear sound to them and a different feel than the 5:25. I think the EL84 tubes made the amp sound kind of muddy...just my opinion. Of course the EL84 will give it a slightly more british sound.

Any one try the 110 combo with the mesa 10" express extension cab?

I'd like to hear that set up next to a Maz 18 Jr 210

I tried them both as well, side by side, and thought the 1 x12 was a lot fuller sounding. I got the 1 x 12 without any hesitation.

I got a used 5:25 w/1x10" stock Eminence for a great $$$.
I didn't mind the 10" stocker, but it did fart out a little when pushed.
I spent the $$$ and got a Celestion G-10 Gold AlNiCo.
The difference is like night and day. Punchy as hell and no more farting when pushed hard.

microwerx said:
Get the 1x12. I have an 5:50 1x12 combo and it only weighs 56lbs. It's really not bad carrying it around. It is heavy, but it's not ridiculous.

Also, you should try out the 5:50 as well. The 6L6 tubes have a really nice clear sound to them and a different feel than the 5:25. I think the EL84 tubes made the amp sound kind of muddy...just my opinion. Of course the EL84 will give it a slightly more british sound.

No on the british sound. I don't get why people tend to label EL84 as british...Fender bjr doesn't get british, mesa studio .22+ didn't my mesa f-30 surely doesn't...

Of course maybe the crunch or something gets "more-british" on the 5:25 but no marshall/vox fan lost his sleep over a 5:25...

By the way if the 10 incher is significantly lighter how about buying that for home and small jams and having a better cab on demand for bigger gigs/jams or for different flavours.

Latest posts

Back