EVM-12L (classic 200w ver.) in a Mark V combo anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaj

Reaction score
I recently reconnected with a once favorite guitar speaker of mine - the 200 watt EVM-12L. In the past I'd used these speakers with a couple of rigs with great results. It is perhaps my favorite guitar speaker though I've also had great results with a variety of other speakers - often very dependent on the enclosure and/or amp in use. One was in a Mark II combo. I also had a pair in a Rivera 2x12 cab that I ran with a rack rig. Amongst the qualities I dig in these speakers is the way they handle treble frequencies when pushed - they seem to roll the top end of slightly without sacrificing much detail or clarity. They 're definitely at their best at high volume. After the first year with my Fuchs ODS-50 combo I swapped out the stock Eminence speaker for an 80's OEM 200w EVM-12L (definitely broken in but a very long ways from beat or tired - this speaker sounds fantastic!) I've been very pleased with the improvement in tone across the board. It sounds great at low volume, it feels more dynamic / less stiff than the stock Emi (feels more elastic but still feels fast if that makes sense), works equally as well with clean and overdrive, and really sounds wonderful when the volume is all the way up!

I've also had some great results running Mesa C90's in the past though, again, for different applications than the EV's. I have really only used the C90's with Marshall's and similarly voiced rock amps. I have never used one in a Mesa amp or enclosure. I have played through a few Mesa amps with C90's in store demo's (new speaker through an amp I'm only vaguely familiar with at fairly low volume - not a very accurate portrayal of how it will sound out in the real world). I have a Mesa Mark V combo on the way (should be here Monday) and so I'll know soon enough if the combination of amp/enclosure/C90 works well for me. Based on demo's of the Lonestar oversized 1x12 combo I'm guessing I'll like this speaker/enclosure combo.

That said I can't help but wonder what a 200w EVM-12L might sound like in this amp. I definitely dug it in the Mk.II, and I love it in the Fuchs combo. I figured I'd throw the question out here and find out if anyone is running a 12L in their Mk.V combo (or head into a 1x12 or 2x12 loaded with 12L's). Does the 200watt EVM-12L sound good with the Mk.V? Is it balanced working well with all channels? I'd be interested in any feedback regarding the use of 12L's with the Mk.V. While we're here what's the general consensus on the C90 / Mk.V combo enclosure pairing? Does it seem to be a good speaker choice for the amp and enclosure? Balanced well with all channels?

I won't be making any changes from the stock configuration for a while except for preamp tube swaps where deemed potentially beneficial. Unless there's some compelling reason to make changes (i.e. cone cry, unstable or microphonic tubes, rattling hardware, etc.) I like to keep things stock for a good long while (1 year or so) to be sure I'm addressing real concerns and not perceived issues due to a lack of familiarity. Should I get to a place where a speaker swap is being considered I'd like the benefit of others experience as I consider my options.

Thanks all!

Hi ,

I have Mark V combo for about 2 months , and I'm not happy with C-90 speaker .

I have Road King II with 2x12 cab and comparing with Road King , Mark V sounds like broken amp.

There was no Lo frequencies at all , and only painfull hi-mid's , and highs.

so I bought new production EVM-12L from musicstore (germany) and replaced .

Good news is it fits - no problem .

Bad news is - sound is much worse.

I'm puzzled and confused .

I put back C-90 and in this enclosure it sounds better , but I will not surrender :)

I will try to replace tubes , and then I will switch again .

I will keep You updated .

Zbyszek

Zbyszek said:
Hi ,

I have Mark V combo for about 2 months , and I'm not happy with C-90 speaker .

I have Road King II with 2x12 cab and comparing with Road King , Mark V sounds like broken amp.

There was no Lo frequencies at all , and only painfull hi-mid's , and highs.

I put back C-90 and in this enclosure it sounds better , but I will not surrender :)

I will try to replace tubes , and then I will switch again .

I will keep You updated .

Zbyszek

i just eyeballed it, but it didn't look like it would fit the evm in the combo only cause of the height of the tubes vs. the location of the magnet. i could probably try again, some other time, but i don't intend to keep the combo cab because it's open back (probably why you don't get as good a sound with the evm) and because if i put an evm in there, the combo would weight around 80 lbs and i don't want to haul that up and down stairs, even if i only live in a two-story house.

Yes , it's very close ...

Magnet to the one of the tubes - about 0,5 inch.

You are right it's very heavy (I have extra transformer inside too ) :)

After replacing all preamp tubes with Mullard and Tung-sol , now We are back in business .

Tomorrow I'll put EVL back again .

You really need to wait until the EV breaks-in before judging it. Like most speakers, the more/longer it breaks-in, the less stiff it will be, and the warmer it will sound. The EVM12L is a very clear speaker and can sometimes sound harsh at times. I assume that this is especially true when the speaker is new and stiff. But, don't worry, it will mellow over time. I suggest you refer to this thread regarding breaking in a speaker: http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40860

Thanks for the replies! I'm not too hip on the tight clearances reported with a 12L in the Mk.V combo so I'll pass should I decide to experiment with speakers down the road.

Thanks again! :)

Two things: First - It's new and new speakers typically sound harsh until broken in. And, second - IT"S NEW! The new EVM 12L's are not the same as their 20-odd-year old conterparts. They have an increased frequency range, although the overall curve is very close to the original.

Play the hell out it for a few weeks and see how you like it then. You'll probably find that your typically tone settings don't sound the way you're used to with a Celestion. Roll off the bass, push the mids (11 - 12 o'clock?), take a little off the treble (3 - 4 o'clock). It's always worked for me.

Alternatively, you might consider putting the EVM in a Theile cabinet to use with the combo and the C90. Great bass response! :D

jbw

Back