Empty combo as speaker cabinet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpw

Reaction score
So am moving my early Mk III amp from a combo to a head shell for portability and am wondering if anybody uses their empty combo as an open back 1x12. I can't see why not but am curious what others may have noticed? My combo has an EV as does the Thiele cab it sits on.

1) Will it sound at all/noticeably different from an open back mesa 1x12 cab?
2) Anybody find something fun that fits in the hole left by the vacated amp (17")?

Thx,
CPW

It works like a charm. As a matter of fact, I am now using two loaded combos as cabinets for the heads that I am keeping on top of them. Very good combination of versatility and efficiency.

I did it with my Lonestar 2x12 and it sounds the same. No issues. I just added a separate cable to reach the input jack on head.

Nobody found a great idea for something to mount in the vacated space at the top of the cab?

jmontgomery said:
You could cut a piece of wood painted black in there. Or maybe your favorite bumper sticker :)
I was thinking more along the lines of a midi switching unit for channel switching. Or a wet bar.

cpw said:
Nobody found a great idea for something to mount in the vacated space at the top of the cab?

Actually, I've got a TC m-one xl reverb and a cab clone in the top of the combo....it works great though I had to take the rack ears off the m one. A few more cables than I'd like between the head and cab, but I get to keep using the road case I've had for the combo. I like the open backed sound, this is even more open. I wish I had the reverb unit installed in the head somehow though.

cpw said:
So am moving my early Mk III amp from a combo to a head shell for portability and am wondering if anybody uses their empty combo as an open back 1x12. I can't see why not but am curious what others may have noticed? My combo has an EV as does the Thiele cab it sits on.

1) Will it sound at all/noticeably different from an open back mesa 1x12 cab?
2) Anybody find something fun that fits in the hole left by the vacated amp (17")?

Thx,
CPW

In the last band setup I played my first red in a selfmade headshell and used my Imbuya combo cab/EVM 12L "empty".
I played my `58 LP Reissue in a pretty empty rehersal room with yery little cloth inside, no carpets no curtains and I was shocked so positively how great my amp can sound in a sudden.
At home I had heavy curtains rearside and I always wondered where all the trebles had been gone.......

Latest posts

Back