ED owner considering the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWAKO

Reaction score
I've had the ED for about a year, I like it's tone but I wish I had a little more flexibility and gain on tap, I prefer having a guitar go straight to the preamp tubes and not worry about pedals. Initially I liked the fact it was a "plug and play" amp, but I find myself still tweaking it and never being truly satisfied (I don't know if I'll ever be) I'm the type of guy that really enjoys and gets great satisfaction out of researching an amplifier, spending time tweaking it, and finding my "tonal identity". Therefore I feel the Mark V may be for me, I've jammed on one at a GC but never had a chance to crank it up. But I really liked what I heard dialing in tones rather quickly. I've had experience with the Mark IV because a guitarist in a former band had one and I always worked with him dialing in tones. The complexity doesn't scare me and I would be excited to dive into one. I'm considering either the V or the RA-100, on paper the RA look great but you never know until you try it. I may wait till may when the RA hits stores and test the 3 side by side. I have really enjoyed the ED and it supplied the tones I wanted at the time, but it's a new season and having mainly midrange gain tones isn't cutting it for me right now. Anyone else made this transition?

Hmm. I don't actually own a Mark V but I think I can comment and hopefully handle some insight, at least as much as someone who plays the Mark V for 5 minutes in the store and then plays the Electra Dyne for 2 hours plus. After trying the Electra Dyne, I started fighting with my Dual Rectifier. I felt like the Electra Dyne is just so much more 'my' sound.

Step 1) DEFINITELY look up the pile of videos Don at Haggertys put up on youtube. He THOROUGHLY demos every channel on the Mark V. http://www.youtube.com/user/haggertysmusic#p/u

Step 2) Try gear.

OK, so here is a basic overview of my THOUGHTS on the amp. A Mark V is jaw droppingly awesome. It does what it does EXTREMELY well and if that is specifically what you are after, it is well worth it. The cleans are fantastic and I particularly like the high gain lead tones. I have NEVER felt a lead tone that rich, lush, and full bodied ever before. The rhythm tone is pretty rad too: very fast, clear, and articulate. There are tonnes of different sounds in the amp so if you are the world you want to be in, there are many tones you can investigate. Always a way to shape and modify things slightly. Furthermore, the 10watt power option really does turn the Mark V into a practice amp. It isn't like the 'Dyne or even less extreme like a Dual Rectifier. Both of these amps you have to 'open up' a bit for them to wake up, but the Mark V conquers basically all decibel levels period.

NOW, there are tonnes of modes and sounds, but the amp really has one consistent 'voice' at the same time. This voice is a really peculiar thing and in fact, it is the voice that got Boogie famous in the first place. It is a very harmonically rich and creamy tone, distinctive because of its clarity, richness, and evenness. There isn't that sort of raw, wild, or 'pissed off' tone you'd expect from a boosted Plexi. Rather, it is pure DJENTY goodness at the extreme and not so extreme setting on the amp. Yes, it does low gain well but that voice is always there. If you LIKE this voice, you'll be in heaven. (If I ended up with a Mark V, I'd live on crunch mode and Mark 2C+)

All things being Equal, I'd say this is Mesa Boogie's best (most flexible) amp. Sounds good from practice to gig levels, does many tones, all of them fantastic.

To explain further, if we look at the Electra Dyne, as mesa as it is, it really sounds far more crunchy and 'British' than the Mark V. The Electra Dyne flirts with modern tones (especially with high out passive pickups such as my Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells) but it primarily is about the vintage thing. When I play it, I turn the gain trim switch to 'clean' and I dime the gain. I then use my volume knobs to adjust my tones.

On this fake sort of spectrum I am drawing, the Dual Rectifier Reborn really splits the difference between the Mark V and the Electra Dyne, at least in terms of voice. As far as tone goes, thie Dual Rectifier gets the most modern with the roaring high gain settings.
The Dual Rectifier Reborn is really half British by comparison. What I mean is that the architecture / layout of the tone stack on this amp is very similar to a Marshall. The difference is that Boogie basically Americanized a JCM800, at least indirectly. (The Dual Rectifier is a Modded Soldano SLO while the Soldano SLO is a modded 5150 and the 5150 is a modded JCM800) It has modes that 'flirt' with low gain (Pushed, and Raw) in much the same way the Electra Dyne flirts with high gain. The tone is decidedly bigger than a Mark V. It is a bit slower, more sluggish, and the lead tone isn't quite the same. I find if you pour on the gain, the lead tone gets usable but it never quite has that tone that is so great that you lose spontaneous bladder control. The crunch is a different story. There is something so phat, rich, and just plain huge about the Dual Rectifier. It does not have to do the scooped nu-metal thing. In fact, a lot of the best tones can be dialed in with the tone stack set flat. A Mark V screams and a Dual Rectifier roars, if that makes sense. The Electra Dyne Purrs. LOUDLY!

An amp in the Dual Rectifier family that has a lot of options is the Road King II or if you don't have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s, the Road King. You can get quite a few good tones out of these amps but they aren't as flexible as the Mark V is. Of course, it is up to you but I personally think that investigating each different amp will work out in your favour, as you will be able to nail better what you want in an amp.

Thank you for the extensive response, it was extremely helpful! After what was said I definitely need to start back at square one to figure out truly what I want and don't want. I'm mainly an aggressive rhythm player that plays lead "licks" I'm not a shredder by any means. Percussive palm mutes and single note riffs where you hear the pic attack are very common in my playing. I've own an old Triple Rectifier in the past, but I couldn't dial out that annoying hiss out of the tone. I had written the Rectifier off because I was turned off by it's harshness and overtones. I like the Soldano SLO a lot and I'm surprised to find the Dual Rec derived from the SLO, I want to stay Mesa because I love the company and don't want to venture outside of this brand. All that said it definitely makes the Rectifier Reborn more appealing. But it also makes me wonder where the RA-100 sits in all this? Maybe between the Mark V and Rectifier? I definitely need to make time to demo a ton of Mesa amplifiers. I'm a little confused, but excited about finding which amp is best for me.

YellowJacket said:
(The Dual Rectifier is a Modded Soldano SLO while the Soldano SLO is a modded 5150 and the 5150 is a modded JCM800)

The SLO came before the 5150. EVH was originally using a SLO when he hook up with Peavey, and they copied the SLO design and added another gain stage when they built his signature amp.

screamingdaisy said:
The SLO came before the 5150. EVH was originally using a SLO when he hook up with Peavey, and they copied the SLO design and added another gain stage when they built his signature amp.

So it WAS the SLO that came out first? I can never remember the minutae.

DWAKO said:
Thank you for the extensive response, it was extremely helpful! After what was said I definitely need to start back at square one to figure out truly what I want and don't want. I'm mainly an aggressive rhythm player that plays lead "licks" I'm not a shredder by any means. Percussive plam mutes and single note riffs where you hear the pic attack are very common in my playing. I've own an old Triple Rectifier in the past, but I couldn't dial out that annoying hiss out of the tone. I had written the Rectifier off because I was turned off by it's harshness and overtones. I like the Soldano SLO a lot and I'm surprised to find the Dual Rec derived from the SLO, I want to stay Mesa because I love the company and don't want to venture outside of this brand. All that said it definitely makes the Rectifier Reborn more appealing. But it also makes me wonder where the RA-100 sits in all this? Maybe between the Mark V and Rectifier? I definitely need to make time to demo a ton of Mesa amplifiers. I'm a little confused, but excited about finding which amp is best for me.

Ah yes, the dreaded FIIZZZZ!!!!! Which model of Triple Rectifier did you own? I find the Triple is darker and thicker sounding than a Dual, which is more 'open' and 'crunchier' sounding. I also found the Rectos can get muddy very easily, depending on the cab you pair up with them.

My 2 Channel Rev F Dual is less fizzy, but it still gets slightly buzzy at low volumes. It just tears when turned up though. The early (rev C - E) 2 channel duals have terrible clean tones but the gain tone is much closer to that of the SLO. The Rev F has a distinctive tone too, similar but slightly different from the Rev G head, which was the garden variety 2ch head. I discovered that combining a Celestion v30 with a Celestion c90 actually tames the high end somewhat. The v30 peaks in the low mids while the c90 peaks in the treble so when you combine both speakers, it really smooths the tone out a lot. This deals with those annoying behive buzzing frequencies. The other helpful thing is to dial the gain down. Also try the Recto Reborn and the Road King II / Roadster.

The Mark V is a well balanced wall of distortion. It has an incredible clarity with a real bite in the high end. The single note riffs are very liquid, thick, and focused. Great for heavy riffing. The Dual has this Huge wide chunky power chord but the single note riffing sounds hollow by comparison. Think 90s tone.

I'm honestly not what Rev the Triple rectifier I had was, I bought it used in 2006 and I believe it was a 2004-2005 model. I wasn't as knowledgable back then, so I didn't know anything about Revisions. I used it with an oversized Rectifier cab and I always found myself unsatisfied with it's tone, it was pretty "muddy and fizzy" overall. I've heard Roadsters are much darker and have less fizz, correct? I've found myself not to be a big fan of V30s but I really like C90's a lot. I tend to use G75s in medium range volume situations. But they may just be my experience with the ED I've heard other amps sound great with V30's. I really need to find time to demo amps, I've have a lot going on right now so it's difficult to find that extra time. The Mark V is begins to sound like a happy medium to me. I'm not in a metal band but we definitely have some aggressive riffs and an occasional breakdown. A dual Rec with no fizz or muddiness would be perfect! Only if it were that easy! Haha! :lol:

But I had interesting idea today, has anyone tried a gain mod on a ED, allowing more saturation in the preamp stage of the ED? Just a thought...

I was in the same boat as you with my LSC 1X12 Combo. Had it for 7 years and never had as much luck dialing it in as I did the first day with my Mark V. The V has great cleans, and the 2 extra channles are freakin awesome. A tweekers delight. I love messing with the dials.

Yeah, after researching extensively the Mark V is looking more and more appealing... Just the ability to tweak past the normal dials is intriguing because there are always frequencies I want out that I normally can't dial out... I feel this issue would rise with the RA-100. I really like the Mark IV setting, is spending the extra $$ on the V (over the IV) worth the extra features. Because with selling the ED I would have to dish out some extra cash for the V.

I had a couple Electra Dyne's and worked with them for awhile. Like you, never quite happy. Couldn't get guite enough gain and sustain going straight in, and even though I tried a number of the best pedals out there, they changed the tone too much for me. When I got the V, it was instantly all there. Even better cleans, with just as good or better crunch, and unbelievable lead tones with all the gain you want. Also, for me, the V is very easy to dial in. Had the tones/sounds I was looking for in just a few minutes. In addition, of course, there's so much to work with, variations, different sounds, tones, etc, that you can spend a lot of fun time delving into it, and tapping into all that's in there. I've had a lot of Mesa amps, Mark III's, IV's, Lone Star's, Roadster's and more, and the V is the best and just so good. Obviously, this is just my taste and experience, but seems you're expressing much the same thoughts I had with the ED. Hope this helps.

DWAKO said:
Yeah, after researching extensively the Mark V is looking more and more appealing... Just the ability to tweak past the normal dials is intriguing because there are always frequencies I want out that I normally can't dial out... I feel this issue would rise with the RA-100. I really like the Mark IV setting, is spending the extra $$ on the V (over the IV) worth the extra features. Because with selling the ED I would have to dish out some extra cash for the V.

Be patient and look for a used V, they're out there. Sell the ED and find one in the 1500-1700 range with warranty. You'll be good. Mine was only a year old when I got it used and I saved a boat load of money. I couldn't be happier.

DWACO:
Yeah....I've been there too! I purchased my MkV combo about 1-1/2 years ago. I loved the sounds that I was able to achieve out of it from the get go, but being a MB Junkie, I sprung for an ED combo about a year ago.

I "tried very hard" to like the ED as my backup amp, but eventially sold it (4 months ago) realizing that its inherent limitations (compromises) didn't work for me at all while rehearsing with my band or playing live. I am not saying the ED isn't capable of some great sounds......I just wasn't able to dial in a great clean, crunch and lead tone at the same time with its limited features/controls. Besides that, the ED was inherently too loud and bass heavy for my needs. Sure, I could set the volume back to 8:30 or so to control the volume, but it didn't sound nearly as good to me when set that way. More importantly, I wasn't able to achieve a good balance between clean, crunch and hi gain modes with the shared controls, and my clean tone always suffered when I had the dials set for great "blue and red mode" crunch and high gain sounds. BTW...Yes, I greatly experimented with the clean trim toggle and volume balance knobs on the back of the amp. In addition, I needed to add a distortion pedal (OCD) in front of the ED to obtain super nice hi gain sustaining lead sounds for solo. I will say that with the addition of the OCD pedal in front of the amp the ED sounded much better for high gain solo sounds. In fact, sounded great for those needs.

Based on your original post....I feel the V would be an excellent choice for your needs. It has all of the features that I need for great clean, mid gain and hi gain sounds (in multiple modes of each channel), footswitchable solo boost, GEQ, reverb....etc.

It is definitely my favorite amplifier that I have ever owned, and that is saying a lot! :D Definitely check out all of Haggerty's Mark V Demo's. He does a great job of showcasing the many great sounds offered with each mode and the overall versatility of the V!

Best of luck whatever you decide. :D

DWAKO said:
A dual Rec with no fizz or muddiness would be perfect! Only if it were that easy! Haha! :lol:

Ya? Well, I do have that at home right now.

Dual Rectifier Revision F.
Les Paul Standard Premium Plus.
Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell calibrated pickups. These pickups are SO INCREDIBLY CLEAR, even when you POUR ON THE GAIN! They also really make the Electra Dyne crunch HARD.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=rebel_yell Check out the 'Heavy' tone. This is a pretty good representation of what these pickups do. They are very articulate and they drive an amp into CHAINSAW territory. If you want even more drive, the Alnico V Nailbomb might be another great option.

500k CTS Audio Taper Pots.
0.22uf Paper in Oil Capacitors
50s Wiring Mod

Copy of Mills Acoustic Mach212B cab with a Celestion v30 and a Celestion c90.

=

no fizz with the master above about 8:30 and further north on the red channel.

Another option. Get a SOLDANO SLO!!!!!

MBJunkie said:
I just wasn't able to dial in a great clean, crunch and lead tone at the same time with its limited features/controls.

A set of properly calibrated and adjusted pickups goes A LONG WAY to solving this problem, along with the boominess. BUT, the amp is what it is at the end of the day. That is a vintage tone machine which pays lip service to the modern sound with one possible setting at the extreme limits of what that amp is capable of.

The Mark V rips but it doesn't CRUNCH like the Dual Rectifier. Have you had a chance to look at the Haggerty's Music Works in depth demo of the Mark V? I'd say they're VERY accurate. Check this vid out too. Watch John Petrucci dial in tones on a Mark V.
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ (I LOVED his tones on the crunch mode)
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftRUvkz5Fio

I always liked Mark Petrucci's Octavarium tone the best!

YellowJacket....

I was only comparing my experiences with the ED versus the MkV based on the original poster's thread....FWIW. Wasn't that the original topic?? :?

Don't worry about it. I think we're all trying to help him make a good decision. I generally agree with what you posted about the Electra Dyne but I was playing devils advocate. Before flipping gear, it is good to consider your axe and pickups as well as your speakers / cabinetry. Sometimes a great tone is a simple change away. If someone was going for a modern tone though, the Electra Dyne is not the FIRST amp I would recommend for them.
The ED would be vastly improved with a separate clean channel EQ and the low and hi modes on another EQ. It would also be vastly improved with a sprinkling of extra gain. Say if the Vintage Lo channel could get into the territory of the Vintage Hi channel and the Vintage Hi channel would go further into liquid solo settings.
From what DWAKO has been saying, I don't think the Electra Dyne is the right amp for him. He could make it 'work', much as I have made the Dual Rectifier 'work' for me, but ultimately he needs to investigate other options.

This is the Mark V forum though, so we should probably be on topic =-/

No problem YellowJacket.

I must be getting old, but reading through this thread...somehow I thought the topic somehow changed to a comparison with the MB Dual Rectifier....thats all.

Clearly, I feel the OP should explore all options when choosing a new amp (MB and all others for that matter)....I just thought his focus was a comparison between the ED and the MkV....

Cheers

MBJunkie said:
No problem YellowJacket.

I must be getting old, but reading through this thread...somehow I thought the topic somehow changed to a comparison with the MB Dual Rectifier....thats all.

Clearly, I feel the OP should explore all options when choosing a new amp (MB and all others for that matter)....I just thought his focus was a comparison between the ED and the MkV....

Cheers

Yes, it was a comparison between an ED and a MarkV but I've been following his threads on this and he 'sounds' like he's talking about a Dual Rectifier when he discusses his needs and playing style. But what do I know? A guitar salesman thought I needed a PRS based on my playing style and needs but I bought a Gibson Les Paul. He may be perfectly happy with a Mark V. Just gotta check out those videos first! (If I had a Mark V I'd use crunch mode and Mark 2C+. Those are my favourite modes on that amp!!!)

YellowJacket....your points are well taken.

Clearly, the OP should check out all amps available to him before purchase. No question.

You mention that your 2 preferred modes of the V are the "crunch mode" of channel 2 and the IIC+ mode of channel 3). That is fine, and I like both of them very much as well as many others.

However, you didn't even mention any mode of Ch1 of the V....which is devine IMO. If you aren't into the real clean world....no problem....your answer is tweed mode of Ch1. If one is into the clean world select "Fat" in Ch1....sweetness indeed!

The MkV is definitely not an amp to judge quickly because it offers so much versatility.
In fact, if I were present to adjust modes, preamp knobs, graphic EQ, etc. while you were playing......I would be willing to bet that you would be pleased with your sounds created from several modes in all channels of the V. Just my opinion.

Yes, the clean is unread. This guy was just talking in terms of crunch tones. The Mark V definitely does iconic boogie tones and it has them in spades. I also LOVE how it turns down to 10watts which gives 'cranked' tones at incredibly low volumes. It really IS a practice and gigging amp all in one.

YellowJacket said:
Yes, the clean is unread. This guy was just talking in terms of crunch tones. The Mark V definitely does iconic boogie tones and it has them in spades. I also LOVE how it turns down to 10watts which gives 'cranked' tones at incredibly low volumes. It really IS a practice and gigging amp all in one.

Bingo!
Also, I will add that after playing with what I feel are my sounds and settings for a while on the Mark V, I tend to need something to goose the creativity. Having 3 modes in each channel does that for me. I force myself into one of the modes I don't normally use too much and kinda rediscover cool stuff - and I didn't even have to purchase new gear to do it! Props to the Haggerty Music vids too for generating some great starting places. Add on the ability to change to EL34s and with the flip of the bias switch, you're ready to go, it's hard to imagine how they can improve it.

Yes the thread was started because I was specifically looking at the Mark V, but YellowJacket brought some great things to my attention about the Dual Recitifier. And I think that's great, it's good to consider all my options (even if I had written off the Dual after my experience with the Triple Rec). I apologize that I failed to mention that I have watched all the Haggerty's videos as well as the Petrucci videos, Doug West videos, Lamb of God videos etc. I'm at the point I need to just try one out, I'm as convinced as I can be as far as researching the amplifier. BUT I need to also try out a dual Rec and other Mesa amps as well. In the past I always made brash decisions due to GAS. This time I really want to do my homework and make the right decision so I'm happy with the final product.

Now just to play devils advocate... :twisted: I'm also looking at the Mark IV. Obviously the Mark V has a IV setting but I have read in my research there is still a difference between the IV mode and the actual Mark IV. I don't want to assume the V is a better fit just because it's newer. I know, I know... Slighty off topic but it's in the same family... YellowJacket is right it's more about finding the perfect amp for my needs. I apologize if we have deviated I bit, I'll try to keep the focus on the Mark V. I feel we have already established the ED is not more me.

Latest posts

Back